cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass Repair Help

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to replace the front clearance lights with new LED ones when I noticed some fiberglass issues on the front of the cabover cap. Several long cracks and some weird surface markings under the black paint.

I'm a bit alarmed at this, and not sure how the best way of fixing it would be. If I was at work, I'd call NDI and have them run an ultrasound on it to verify how big the cracks are, then send it to fiberglass repair to fix. This isn't an option though. I was thinking take a dremel and route out the cracks, then fill the chanels with resin. Probably wouldn't look too good, but at least I wouldn't have any leaks. Any one seen this and had it repaired? How did they do it?

In case you didn't know, lazy daze decided that front windows were too much of leak path and deleted the option. Problem was the front looked like a bread truck, so they painted fake windows on the front with fake curtains on the inside. The side windows still are real.

I'm hoping this is just some type of paint delamination and not an issue with the fiberglass.

I leave on my cross country road trip in a little over 2 weeks so I don't have a whole lot of time.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
24 REPLIES 24

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, another suggestion here. If they are really cracks, I think the 1/16" drill hole at the ends is good. If only gel coat cracks I suggest the same. MarineTex . I think this is the best stuff for this type of repair. Using a really clean edge rubber squeege to apply thin..

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Hadn't thought of stop drilling the cracks and injecting the cracks, was going to just grind out the damage and fill with resin. might do a bit of both depending on the depth. Tech support at LD says it's usually just gel coat crack, so sand seal and paint. we'll see. Kitty cut open his ear so $700 and the whole afternoon blown. hope it doesn't start raining again.
banks intake/exhaust

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
You can't just make a channel and fix a fiberglass crack. You can google fiberglass crack repair.

Lots of "how tos" on YouTube, mostly on boats.

Boat exteriors tend to be thicker and stiffer so the G-Flex may be the best solution.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Stop dril the cracks with a 1/16 bit Then sand to clean and fill with some epoxy and then again sand to smooth. Only real way is to redo the entire cab over to make pretty, but for temp repairs the above is what is needed. As to the crinkles that is usually due to weather effects and again needs to be sanded smooth and reepoxied/fiberglassed. painting is optional but needed if you want to pretty the cap.

yes you can rout the cracks a little for the epoxy/fiberglass rosin setup but really after all is said and done the whole cap will probably need rework. The stop drill is at the end of the crack and keeps it from spreading further. Also do the same for any metal cracks you ever find.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
There was someone else on this forum who had some issues with the nose on their class C, and they had to remove the entire nose and rebuild the frame. you need to find what caused the problem and correct it, otherwise, any cosmetic repairs to the fiber glass will only return. It was not an easy Dremel job.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I am at home, leaving in 2 weeks. Permanently.
banks intake/exhaust

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Temp until you get home. Then go to fiberlay in seattle or they moved to kent. Supplies and knowledge
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I had similar cracks in an ABS roof. I got some help from West Systems to figure out what product to use. They steered me to G-Flex E-poxy. Here is a photo essay of my repair using this product. It worked perfectly, and held up perfectly right up until the day I sold the trailer. This was ABS, rather than fiberglass, but I think the G-Flex would work just as well on fiberglass.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
You can't just make a channel and fix a fiberglass crack. You can google fiberglass crack repair.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a temporary fix eternabond until you get home and can pull the nose off. Ugly? Yea, but ay least there wont be any leaks.