I have had fivers with rubber roof and cleaned each year
2004 Itasca Sunova 35'
V-10 2 slides
No toad yet
13 REPLIES 13

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
I wash mine once or twice a year and wax it the hard way (hands and knees) every two years. Last August I washed it then waxed it (standing up)with Mop & Glow. It has never looked so good. I recommend at least trying it once. I will never go back. Marty
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 455hp. 6spd. Allison
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Waxing the roof makes it slippier and increases your fuel mileage.....Dennis

You betcha Dennis, I'm dead sure I went from 7.0 to 7.0000000000001 when I did it. Wow, that was a serious improvement!!;)
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't waxed my roof, it's slippery enough when I'm up there washing it. Everytime I go up on the roof, DW asks if my life insurance is current!!
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Waxing the roof makes it slippier and increases your fuel mileage.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
A fiberglass roof is a pretty tough cookie. It can take some serious neglect and, still keep on tick'n as the old "Timex" commercials used to say. But, fiberglass and, those roofs, also see some pretty harsh environments and, elements. Not to mention the old "Acid Rain" stuff too.

This is one of those things that, if you have the drive, the energy, the will power and all that other descriptive stuff, you'll get up there, wash it good with whatever soap and water plan you have, rinse it off and, let it dry good.

Then, normally, fiberglass is WAXED as a protection method. But, now days, RV dudes get up there and put all kinds of different coatings, applications, etc. I personally am not a fan of floor coatings on roofs but, it's just me. I have taken the time to get up there, use a buffing machine (Dewalt sander/buffer variable speed) along with rubbing and polishing compound.

When I was done, it looked like the pictures below. It took a couple of days due to the fact that it was about 95 outside and, I was in no hurry anyway. I take lots of breaks on jobs like this, CAUSE I CAN!

When done, it got waxed with Kit auto wax. Sure looked cool. It's lasted like that for about a year and half. It's about time for the same operation. But this time it's indoors with air conditioning.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I just wash ours, the same as the rest of the MH or car. I do use a long handled wash brush, so I don't have to stand too close to the edge of the roof. Wax once a year but twice would be better.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Executive wrote:
IMO, EVERY roof should be cleaned and waxed at least ONCE a year. Twice is even better. I wash mine when I wash my coach, no different than washing the roof of the Corvette.....Dennis
Yeah, but you're not standing on the roof of the Corvette over 12' in the air! lol

Ya sure! I scrub mine with a stiff tooth brush once or twice a decade. Due again in 2025 if I'm still around. ๐Ÿ™‚
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
IMO, EVERY roof should be cleaned and waxed at least ONCE a year. Twice is even better. I wash mine when I wash my coach, no different than washing the roof of the Corvette.....Dennis
Yeah, but you're not standing on the roof of the Corvette over 12' in the air! lol
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I never cleaned mine the 14 years I owned it. that is one of the benefits of fiberglass vs rubber or TPO. the rain washes it.
bumpy

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
mrkeman wrote:
Does anyone know if a fiberglass roof needs to be cleaned annually
I have had fivers with rubber roof and cleaned each year

just a few days back I found I had Mildew on my roof (Fiber Glass).
I asked and got suggestion as how to clean it, and what to use. I ended up using "Simple Green" & a stiff bristle brush, like a street broom. Worked great, took a little elbow grease.
Now as soon as I find out what to wax it with, I intend to put a good coat of wax on it.
Due to the water water shortage in this area I was unable to wash the Motor Home for a year or so and the condensation dripping from the ceiling of the carport, I had quite a mess.
Before the water shortage, I washed the roof every time the coach got washed which was 2-3 times a year.
Good Luck

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I wash my roof everytime I wash the MH.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would clean it once or twice a year just like the rubber roof. Does it NEED to be cleaned? Probably not. I've seen many RV's where the owner obviously has not spent one once of effort to keep it clean. Sooner or later whatever collects on the roof will run down the sides.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT