cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling Batteries

gonervn501
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the Flow-Rite Pro-Fill battery watering system for my Allegro. From what I have seen they seem to work well. Does anyone have thoughts on these?
26 REPLIES 26

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:

. . . . . . . The only small issue is the hand pump bulb has a check valve that occasional gives a problem.

Batteries stay clean, no mess, no corrosion, pretty much as advertised.

Never had a problem with the check valve. The squeeze bulb only needs a few squeezes to get the water flowing IF you hold the water source above the batteries gravity does the rest of the work.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one in a 4 battery system where the back two batteries are very hard to get to. The front batteries are okay to service. I put the Pro Fill on the back two batteries only, but I do use the pump to fill the front two batteries anyway. It all works fine for me. I would agree that it is pricey but where there is a need, it is worth the price.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a system like that one and I love it. It was a pain to check the water levels in the 4 house batteries. Now, it is very simple to top the batteries off before every trip.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
While its nice you have your opinion, you clearly haven't looked around at the problems people have filling or even checking battery banks. I have 4 T-145 Trojans weighing 290lb. that are nicely tucked in a roller shelf that I would never pull out over my feet without external support, and even then I can't see or fill the rear two without removing the front batteries.

So to the OP.. Yes if you can't get to your batteries they ARE worth it. Just make sure you remove the batteries from time to time and make sur the valves are clear and haven't crudded up, preventing the fill valve to work.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem as some of the other poster. Just not enough room to check the out. I just got a set for two 6's. To test out how they work. If I am happy with them I will get more to complete all the batteries. I think it will be a lot easier the disconnecting and pulling out all the batteries to see if they need water.

Grant_Lasson
Explorer
Explorer
The Flo-Rite works very well. Before I got it, I had a hard time telling if there was too much water or not enough. There was no way to get my head in there and I would have had to disconnect the batteries to get them out. During the travel season I add water monthly.

For what it is, it does cost too much. I still find it worthwhile because I don't have that much time to maintain the coach. Now I can get the watering done in 5 minutes and move on to something else.

Grant

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Adding 2 oz of mineral oil (3 in 1 oil) to each cell prevents corrosion and decreases the need to add any water for years (depending on ambient temps).

The oil greatly reduces maintenance requirements. But they should be checked a couple times a year regardless. Doesn't hurt to check the converter and alternator too.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
gonervn501 wrote:
I'm looking at the Flow-Rite Pro-Fill battery watering system for my Allegro. From what I have seen they seem to work well. Does anyone have thoughts on these?

They work great. I have 6 batteries and periodically I top them all off with no fuss or bother. The only small issue is the hand pump bulb has a check valve that occasional gives a problem.

Batteries stay clean, no mess, no corrosion, pretty much as advertised.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
jwmII wrote:
A lotta to do over nothing. Just another gimmick and expense. How hard is it, really to check the water level in a battery ? It takes so little time and allows you to check for other potential problems in the battery drawers (boxes) or whatever. Things like loose or broken wiring at the battery terminals, corrosion, etc.

Yeah, right. On ours, checking the first two isn't too bad, but the bedroom slide has to be in to access the batteries.

For the other two:

Remove the negative cable(s)
Remove all cables from the first two.
Remove the first two batteries (at 66 pounds each)
Slide the rear two forward, which can only be done about an inch at at time, until they are fully forward.
Now the vent caps are accessible.
Check and fill as required.
Reverse the above process.

I only do this twice a year to check the SG and check and clean all the connections unless something leads me to believe that there may be a problem.

My last coach was very difficult to service the coach batteries also. best solution for me was to just go with sealed batteries when the time came to replace.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
jwmII wrote:
A lotta to do over nothing. Just another gimmick and expense. How hard is it, really to check the water level in a battery ? It takes so little time and allows you to check for other potential problems in the battery drawers (boxes) or whatever. Things like loose or broken wiring at the battery terminals, corrosion, etc.

Well, if I add two more batteries (going from 4 to 6) like I want to, it will be a pain to check/fill them. The additional batteries will be mounted over the existing batteries. I think I'll look at this system. Hopefully someone answers who is using it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII wrote:

Yeah, right. On ours, checking the first two isn't too bad, but the bedroom slide has to be in to access the batteries.

For the other two:

Remove the negative cable(s)
Remove all cables from the first two.
Remove the first two batteries (at 66 pounds each)
Slide the rear two forward, which can only be done about an inch at at time, until they are fully forward.
Now the vent caps are accessible.
Check and fill as required.
Reverse the above process.

I only do this twice a year to check the SG and check and clean all the connections unless something leads me to believe that there may be a problem.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII