cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally got to take her out. Now come the questions.

snowyegret52
Explorer
Explorer
So we got our 1986 Fleetwood Bounder parked up on our property in Vermont and FINALLY got to go for the weekend and test out everything.

Questions are:

1. The generator. Started up just fine but when I went to move the knob from choke to on, it dies. Kept the knob sort of in between choke and on and it stayed running. I know I need to change the spark plug and wire since it's been sitting for a few years but is there a fuel filter I need to change too? Onan generator

2. The Refrigerator. Runs great while the generator is on but when I put it on gas, I can't hear any ignition clicking to light it and it doesn't work. It's a Dometic 2852. Is there a way to manually light it or see if the ignition is clogged or something?

3. The furnace. How does it come on? I put the dial on the wall on 80 degrees to see if it would come on but nothing happened. Is there some other switch?

4. Battery. I know where the engine battery is but where is the deep cycle battery for the RV? It must be deader than a doornail because nothing works on DC no matter how long I ran the generator.

Other than that. Everything works great and considering its nearly 30 years old, that's saying something. The roof leaks like a sieve but we tarped it and it's fine now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Pamela
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
22 REPLIES 22

Mike___Fran
Explorer
Explorer
Take the cover on the outside of fridge off and ck for rust from the vent. Take a fine brush and clean the area. Have had to do to mine, they are bad about getting rust in vent tube. Hope it works!!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
snowyegret52 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
For the propane look for one of these near the floor and make sure it's on. Flip it to off the on it should chirp for 10 seconds or so then get a green light.

I'm thinking the propane is already on since the stove/oven works fine. I didn't see any panel like the one pictured anywhere. Will take everyone's advice here and try seafoam in the generator, find the house battery and test it/replace it. Hopefully that takes care of the problem. Thanks everyone!

Sorry didn't see that the stove had propane.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

snowyegret52
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
For the propane look for one of these near the floor and make sure it's on. Flip it to off the on it should chirp for 10 seconds or so then get a green light.

I'm thinking the propane is already on since the stove/oven works fine. I didn't see any panel like the one pictured anywhere. Will take everyone's advice here and try seafoam in the generator, find the house battery and test it/replace it. Hopefully that takes care of the problem. Thanks everyone!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
snowyegret52 wrote:
So we got our 1986 Fleetwood Bounder parked up on our property in Vermont and FINALLY got to go for the weekend and test out everything.

Questions are:

1. The generator. Started up just fine but when I went to move the knob from choke to on, it dies. Kept the knob sort of in between choke and on and it stayed running. I know I need to change the spark plug and wire since it's been sitting for a few years but is there a fuel filter I need to change too? Onan generator

2. The Refrigerator. Runs great while the generator is on but when I put it on gas, I can't hear any ignition clicking to light it and it doesn't work. It's a Dometic 2852. Is there a way to manually light it or see if the ignition is clogged or something?

3. The furnace. How does it come on? I put the dial on the wall on 80 degrees to see if it would come on but nothing happened. Is there some other switch?

4. Battery. I know where the engine battery is but where is the deep cycle battery for the RV? It must be deader than a doornail because nothing works on DC no matter how long I ran the generator.

Other than that. Everything works great and considering its nearly 30 years old, that's saying something. The roof leaks like a sieve but we tarped it and it's fine now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Pamela

Off subject but I'm kinda jealous! You put your thermostat on 80 to get the furnace to come on! In Orlando we put it on 80 to keep it somewhat cool in the house. Sorry for the change in subject.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
yes everything you mentioned has to do with 12 volt operation. As "bsinmich" mentioned, if/when you find the coach batteries (check under the entry door step) you just might fix the problem. Also look for a battery disconnect switch. (Look over the entry door inside-over the dash cabinets-or inside every outside storage compartment-or by the entry door near the other light switches). If that disconnect is off, it will act like dead batteries. That could even cause generator problems too.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Once you find that 12V (or 2 6V in series) you may have solved part of the problem. The furnace, refrig, wsater pump, and possibly water heater all take 12V from the house battery. There is a good chance that old gas has accumulated in the generator. Try some Seafoam to try to clean out the jets. If that fails you could be looking at a new carburetor. Old gas lines also deteriorate to gennys so that could also be your problem. A crack in the line will let it suck air and lean out to where it won't run without the choke.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

bigB42
Explorer
Explorer
never heard my fridge light, furnace needs 12 volt .find or put a battery in that will solve a lot of problems.as for gen pull rubber hose off at carb and crank it,mine has filter just before carb but my problems have been rubber hoses
ken