cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finally made a decision and pulled the trigger on a coach

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
So we went with a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35DH. I will add pictures in a reply later today, we just got back from our first trip. We had a few issues but nothing major and nothing that concerns me. Freshwater tank overflows when connected to the city water (yes the valve is in the city position). I assume the 10 yr old valve has a little wear and needs to be replaced. The dealer installed new tires and new batteries, had all the fluids and filters changed on the the generator and drive engine. We did not touch the transmission as the coach only has 13000 miles on it. All in all I think we made a good decision, we took our time looked at a lot of coaches and held the line on our budget.

In the end we decided that since it is just the 2 of us and this is our first class A (several 5th wheels and bumper pulls) the shorter coach with the 2 slides was a good place to start. We took it on a short 3 day weekend for our first trip the week after we picked it up, camped next to a retired couple in their 2012 Phaeton and had a great time.

Thanks to everyone on the board that offered opinions and shared their experiences.
6 REPLIES 6

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations!!! I know that you will enjoy that coach. Use it every chance you get and just have fun.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
enjoy!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
Get the serial # of the engine and check it against Cummins...some of the ISL's from that year had a wrist pin problem..The fix was to put a light on the dash in case of self destruction...the recall is widely published on the internet, just make sure yours was not affected...

Bullydogs1 it has the 350 hp CAT C7 not a cummins

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Get the serial # of the engine and check it against Cummins...some of the ISL's from that year had a wrist pin problem..The fix was to put a light on the dash in case of self destruction...the recall is widely published on the internet, just make sure yours was not affected...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Darn, someone got the coach I had my eye on. Snooze you loose. All kidding aside the smaller Phaeton has always appealed to me. Same engine, transmission and weight capacity as the bigger brother 40' version just a few feet shorter and a bit lighter rolling weight.

Double check the time line regarding changing the transmission oil. Could be based on time and/or mileage which ever happens first.

Have fun and enjoy your travels.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

RLHAMILTON
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, and safe travels!:)
DICK & JUDY HAMILTON
2012 WINNEBAGO JOURNEY
2017 EQUINOX TOAD
LIFETIME GOOD SAM MEMBER, FMCA, PP AMERICA
FMCA MEMBER F-386544