cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First decent trip and pretty surprised at the mileage...

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Well forum,
Went down to NC from RI for Thanksgiving week and the 20 year old Winnebago really has it where it counts. Relatively smooth ride (other than Rt 78 in PA) and real comfortable to live in for the week.

I was really surprised with the 9.6 MPG, I was tooling along at 55-65 so that it didn't kick down on many hills but it was really a surprise. It does drift a bit and was in some heavy winds last Sunday AM but I am betting that is normal for these older rigs. One thing that I will be changing is the headlights for sure though, these old car lamps just don't cut it on dark highways, any input is welcome on that subject.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
30 REPLIES 30

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Worst thing to affect MPG is a head wind. None of these engines, gas or diesel, care about that wind, they just get thirstier.
2014 American Eagle

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
WAFlowers wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
your the only person who owns a big ole A like that that gets 9.6
and theres not a MH alive that has good headlights
I have clear lenses with HID system on a 2008 and I still had to add a 24 inch light bar and now its ok not outstanding but OK

The best I managed in my 40' Phaeton DP is 8.9mpg. And I am quite impressed with how well it lights up the road! I was on a dark, windy country road late one night and the way ahead was very well lit.

I could get about 9 on flat freeway at 64MPH but that's 25% of my travel I also get 5 going through mountains isl425 headlights worked OK but not up to my standards and drive a lot of nite hours
my 2002 AB headlights were even worse;; funny u should say that as my neighbour has a 2010 phaeton and one of my best friends has a 2009 and they both say headlights are useless at nite ;; your about one of one I guess

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
I have clear lenses with HID system on a 2008 and I still had to add a 24 inch light bar and now its ok not outstanding but OK

The best I managed in my 40' Phaeton DP is 8.9mpg. And I am quite impressed with how well it lights up the road! I was on a dark, windy country road late one night and the way ahead was very well lit.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Check if the headlight exterior itself is fogged from UV exposure. If so, that will reduce the output significantly. Get a kit for "headlight restoration" and buff them up. Add a UV protectant afterwards.

I believe that they are the old glass GM bulbs but I haven't look for the part number yet

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Check if the headlight exterior itself is fogged from UV exposure. If so, that will reduce the output significantly. Get a kit for "headlight restoration" and buff them up. Add a UV protectant afterwards.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Check your voltage at your headlights with them turned ON. This will give you an idea of whether or not you have a wiring problem or just old worn out bulb filaments. My Monaco came with headlights from a BMW 700 series Autobahn cruiser and the headlights are more than adequate for a MH. A lot of the newer coaches also come with headlight assemblies from an automobile or pick-up truck so if the voltage is sufficient the lights will be fine, if properly aimed, of course.

I think they are just old and tired. The vehicle only had 36K on it so they could be originals

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I love to drive at night and have no problem with my BMW Hella headlights so I must be the one in a million that has decent headlights. Thinking that they are too far apart to be aimed properly must be some kind of a joke. :B

whatever if your happy that's really all that counts>>>> No one said there two far apart to be aimed properly? its my opinion the headlights are two far apart so even when aimed properly they never seem to shine properly
I have driven a 2008 dodge truck at night and headlights work great
I have 2008 dodge headlights in my ABDP and they sucked till I added
a HID system and even then not outstanding so I added 24 inch led light bar;; maybe I just expect too much

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love to drive at night and have no problem with my BMW Hella headlights so I must be the one in a million that has decent headlights. Thinking that they are too far apart to be aimed properly must be some kind of a joke. :B

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Class A motorhome head lights are notorious for being lousy aimed correct or not
two far apart for one reason
I have heard about the voltage theory several times never found that to be true in any of mine or firends I have helped iam on my Third Diesel pusher
and everyone the headlight system sucked
Like said have HID with 2008 dodge pickup head lights and there still not outstanding

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check your voltage at your headlights with them turned ON. This will give you an idea of whether or not you have a wiring problem or just old worn out bulb filaments. My Monaco came with headlights from a BMW 700 series Autobahn cruiser and the headlights are more than adequate for a MH. A lot of the newer coaches also come with headlight assemblies from an automobile or pick-up truck so if the voltage is sufficient the lights will be fine, if properly aimed, of course.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Good surprise at 9.6 or disappointed?

My small truck and trailer get about 8 BTW.

Pleasantly Surprised for sure. I have the L92 454 with the 4l80e trans so I was hoping the OD did it's job and it seems to have done well. I was expecting 7mpg and hoping for 8 but the 9+ was a shocker.

No tach on this but it sounded like around 2K - 2500 at 55 - 65, kicked down to around 4K for hills when I didn't anticipate them

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good surprise at 9.6 or disappointed?

My small truck and trailer get about 8 BTW.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
well I have had ford 460;; ford V10 ;;chev 454 ;and chev 8.1 in various sizes and weights over the years and always got 5 -8 on every one
I have never seen or heard of 10 but iam talking out west only so lots of hills and mountains etc
Maybe on freeway steady gas no head wind doing under 60 a person could get 8

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
gutfelt wrote:
Blutoyz wrote:
Well forum,
Went down to NC from RI for Thanksgiving week and the 20 year old Winnebago really has it where it counts. Relatively smooth ride (other than Rt 78 in PA) and real comfortable to live in for the week.

I was really surprised with the 9.6 MPG, I was tooling along at 55-65 so that it didn't kick down on many hills but it was really a surprise. It does drift a bit and was in some heavy winds last Sunday AM but I am betting that is normal for these older rigs. One thing that I will be changing is the headlights for sure though, these old car lamps just don't cut it on dark highways, any input is welcome on that subject.

Always got between 9.5 and 10 with my Brave doing 60-65 MPH found the "sweet spot" with tach and vacuum. Check out LED replacement bulbs.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
just dont drive at night :B