cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First "official" Travato video..

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Here's Winnebago's first official Travato video. The interior looks nicer than the prototypes that we've seen previously. I don't like the fact that they are leaving the front cab seat covers stock ProMaster like they did with the early View/Navion models...looks cheap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhWZatIj2g
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van
20 REPLIES 20

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bobojay5. I still have what I think is a healthy mistrust for American auto companies. I would hate to have a very expensive dog on my hands. I truly like this rig but will wait and see. I hope they are great vehicles for who ever buys one. I hope they find our forum and give us reports. I called my local Winnebago dealer to see if they were going to carry them. They said they would call me back 7 hours ago. Still waiting. I 'm thinking they are not.

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
I think the floor pan is interesting. It de-emphasizes the bed. I can see some nice bicycle storage as a result. The bath is quite nice. I think it is a fresh approach and it will likely result in more options for us going forward.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
I think the models they are showing so far don 't have swivle seats or they would have shown it but coaches that actually show up will have them as stated. Who would make a video and not have the seats turned around to show off livability? I also worry about the drive train which is new for North American models. Jeep Liberty engines and transmition. Jeeps are about 4500 lbs. Travato 's are about 9600 lbs. I hope it works out well and I hope they get the diesel models going. For $3500 more and 2 more years of warranty seems worth it.

The gas engine and transmission is not new to North America. The Pentastar 3.6 has sold over 2.5 million engines in a little over 3.5 years. They are in pretty much everything Chrysler makes, Charger Police car, Ram 1500 pickups, Jeep Wrangler, minivans, big Chrysler 300's, and the new Jeep Cherokee (3.2 version).
The transmission is the same one that's been used in all their front wheel drive vehicles, save the Dart, but has been beefed up inside and the cooling has been enhanced for the PM
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a Video of a Class B by Horizon Motorhomes(does not appear on their main website, very dated site Horizon Motorhomes Ducato Class B) but nice interior and the Motorhomes appear to be well screwed together.

Another Horizon Class B crossing the Tanami Track
Horizon Motorhome Tanami Track

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I did notice is that the FW tank is in the cabinet bordered by the sliding door and passenger seat. That can be a nice thing, since it means the FW system isn't as vulnerable to cold temperatures.

I'm curious how exposed the other pieces of plumbing are (the shower is inside, accessible via the rear door), especially the grey and black water tanks. If well insulated, it would mean a decent boondocking rig. If not, it might require some work with heat tape and pads that attach to the tanks to keep things above freezing.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I think the models they are showing so far don 't have swivle seats or they would have shown it but coaches that actually show up will have them as stated. Who would make a video and not have the seats turned around to show off livability? I also worry about the drive train which is new for North American models. Jeep Liberty engines and transmition. Jeeps are about 4500 lbs. Travato 's are about 9600 lbs. I hope it works out well and I hope they get the diesel models going. For $3500 more and 2 more years of warranty seems worth it.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
That is a nice rig. China toilet with what appears to be a cleaning sprayer,electric awning and step,gas grill port,blue tooth media center,nice cabinetry with pushbutton locks. L.E.D. lighting through out. I wish they would show front seats turned around. I am a little afraid that water tank will have to be filled from side door. Having to drag a hose around will be a hassle but they probably put it there for balance rather than under the couch. If they do more floor plans then the other companies with be quaking in their boots.

If the fresh water fill is like it is on our ERA, it's fillable both through the hose hookup and via a side opening. Best of both worlds.
Go to YouTube and look up the video for the Winnebago Trend. It shows them spinning the seat around with someone in it....
More floor plans are coming next year
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
That is a nice rig. China toilet with what appears to be a cleaning sprayer,electric awning and step,gas grill port,blue tooth media center,nice cabinetry with pushbutton locks. L.E.D. lighting through out. I wish they would show front seats turned around. I am a little afraid that water tank will have to be filled from side door. Having to drag a hose around will be a hassle but they probably put it there for balance rather than under the couch. If they do more floor plans then the other companies will be quaking in their boots.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I would guess that this is Winnebago's first stab on this chassis. I'm hoping they would come out with a floor plan more like a PW Ascent or a RT SS Agile eventually, even if they do a floorplan similar to some European rigs which use multi-section sliding doors (like the Travato's bathroom door),

Yes seemed like things were lacking overall

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Understand about the utility of the dinette, Bobjay. Though Navion is a few feet longer than the Travato. Be interesting to see the Travato in person one of these days.

I think I'd like your Era 70A floor plan much better than theTravato's.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
At 46"wide, the drop down bed is really small...8” less than a double bed. Only 7” wider than a single bed. From the video, the interior seems very cramped especially with that dinette up front. In my humble opinion this floorplan might work but only for a solo traveler.

A single adult or adult with 1 kid and a pet would be all that I'd want in there.
We had that same dinette/couch setup in our class C Navion and it definitely cramps your walkthrough area, but it makes for a nice gathering area for meals, computer time etc.
Also made an excellent second bed area where one of us would sleep if we got sick on the road so as not to spread germs on the other person all night
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
At 46"wide, the drop down bed is really small...8” less than a double bed. Only 7” wider than a single bed. From the video, the interior seems very cramped especially with that dinette up front. In my humble opinion this floorplan might work but only for a solo traveler.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they located controls near the door a tad lower, and had a swing-up extension for the kitchen. This wouldn't cost too much, but it would add very useful space when cooking.

The electric only water heater can be a deal-breaker, or it may not be. Where I boondock, nobody is going to complain if I fire up the generator to get water before a shower. However, other people may run afoul of generator run hour limits.

Here is the ironic thing: The dimensions of the 120VAC only water heater are 13" wide, by 13" high, by 16" deep. Atwood also sells an on demand water heater, the OD-50, and it needs 12.5-16" inches for width and height, and 16" min for depth. Perfect fit, if I do say so myself. So, with a 6 gallon flush door, I think it would be a no brainer to toss in an on-demand water heater that runs on LP gas.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Quite good plan really considering it is not much more than 20ft long. I agree re the rear bed which would be a tight fit for most couples. I think the mattress is pretty skimpy too. You would need a 4 inch hi-D mattress on top. The plan clearly provides the extra sleeping accom up front with a decent dinette arrangement and moving the bathroom further back which makes rear bed a tight space. Nice try and I think we can expect some improvements. The chassis and power train are solid. Diesel would add a lot to a roughly est. 84K$ price--quite good actually. Attractive bodywork.Dont like galley countertop and drop-in sink. Just my preference...
AL