cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First RV (old class A), and want to take it to Yellowstone

boatswain2PA
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie to the boards, and to RVs. Bought a 1987 33' Holiday Rambler Presidential Class A. Low miles, everything works except generator - working on that now.

Want to take extended family on trip to Yellowstone, just over a thousand miles away. Will have 2 other vehicles in entourage.

So, old RV, brand new to me, and I'm a brand new RV owner, what could go wrong, right?!?

I've been to Yellowstone before, but it was almost 20 years ago and we were tent camping out of our car.

My plan is (if RV makes it there) to find a good campsite for the motorhome, get an extra campsite or two for a few tents (kids, parents, in-laws) nearby, and use it as a base camp for exploring Yellowstone for a few days.

Any advice on where to stay? Am I completely crazy to take new (old) motorhome that far for first trip? (we will be going back and forth to local lake before that).
26 REPLIES 26

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Get good tires, brakes, change oil (if not done recently), ....other general maintenance items....buy a roadside assistance program, make reservations BEFORE you leave, and go for it!! Have fun!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I added RV coverage to my regular AAA policy for very little $$$.
bumpy

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder if you have AAA, it may or may not cover your RV, depending on the state you are in. We were members of the Hoosier Motor Club (AAA Indiana) about 15 years ago, when we threw a serpentine belt on our 19' Coachmen Class B on I95. We ended up being flat-bedded to a Ford Dealer in Lake City Florida. When we had called the AAA road service phone number, they wouldn't even call a service provider, with us paying the tow since it was an RV. The lady did give us a number of a local tow company though. Cancelled AAA on getting home and got CoachNet.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not crazy. A thousand miles is not very far, do that several times a year (each way) to stay in touch with family.

A motorhome that old, I would be concerned about condition of tires and brakes. tires rot, braking systems corrode.

One of the problems with your destination (don't know about enroute) is that great sites for RVs and good sites for tent camping are not always in the same place. People with RVs use "campground" to mean "RV parking place with facilities" but they are really different kinds of facilities and not always located in the same place. You can learn to camp in a RV (giving up some of its home-like capabilities) and put it in a campground, but less often can you pitch tents in a RV park where the RV has full home-like functionality.

We visited, stayed at, Yellowstone long before there were any RV hookups, but our RV did not hook up anyway, except a 15 amp power cord. So the campgrounds were OK. Used the LPG lights and appliances in the trailer, some of us slept in the back of the station wagon. When the bears came snooping around, would not have wanted to be in a tent, it was crazy enough having them inspect us through the windows of the station wagon.

Bear management has since changed in Yellowstone, there is a RV park for RVs (no camping) and campgrounds where RVs can park (no hookups). You'll have to figure out what you want to do. The RV park needs reservations, the campgrounds are first come, first served.

I would not make 1000 miles the first trip. I would take a trial trip or two, not even an overnight, just a loop for a picnic or something. Back and forth to a local lake works. It is all about learning how things work, and learning what does not work, and fixing that, before making the first longer trip. I have a 100 mile loop, with a lunch stop, about a half day trip, that I used to first try out the RV, and use it to check things out at the beginning of the season sometimes, though I can also do it in camp driveway without spending $30-50 on gas.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
reservations are definitely needed at Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone. You didn't say when you were going. Coach Net Road service would be well worth the price. If they are booked up, ask this forum for other options. They do have other campgrounds with no hookups. Ask yourself what's the worst thing that could happen and have a plan for that and go for it!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Buy an ERS like Coachnet. Take few short trips first. Do not get in a hurry. Check tire date codes. Plan to have a good time.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
How old are the tires? The amount of tread is not a good indication of tire condition. ANY TIRE of 7 years old should be looked at as a blowout waiting to happen. This can cause thousands of dollars in damage (first hand experience) and ruin your trip.
The problem with RV's is the tires sit in the sun baking . This lessens their life dramatically.
AGAIN I SAY they can look great but be a blowout waiting to happen. They are unlike automobile tires in that they give out before they wear out.

Buy new tires all around and save 2 old for spares. They do not need to be mounted. Buy a road service plan and then have at her.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are most important look that the threads on these boards for more. Other than that go if it breaks, fix it.
Your insurance carrier or others offer cheap tow coverage I would do this without a doubt. If you break down they will at least get you safe and to a place to determine your next move.
Being broke down is one thing. But on the side of the f way and not sure how or what to do sucks. A $1500.00 tow costs $50.00 or even 0 with most major carriers.
Keep us posted on your adventures.
jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd definitely take it on some shorter trips and up the steepest hills you can find to see how it is mechanically. You'll be doing some hills once you get near Yellowstone. If o.k. - then go for it.

For what you're planning with lots of people, tents and a RV site, it would be best if you stayed in Yellowstone itself. The RV can go into any campground there but Fishing Bridge is the only one with hookups and tents are not allowed because of bear activity.

Here's Yellowstone's official site for lots of information, including campgrounds:

Yellowstone Nat'l Park
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
If it runs OK, have at it!! West Yellowstore has lots of nice places to stay, easy drive into park. Be sure you have your old Fa--s pass.

X2
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Brakes and tires?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If it runs OK, have at it!! West Yellowstore has lots of nice places to stay, easy drive into park. Be sure you have your old Fa--s pass.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.