cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

DaytonaTunnel
Explorer
Explorer
You are freakin crazy Mal !!! I saw some of the pic's, but just spent an hour ready all the posts and looking at all the pic's. YIKES !!! Mar-Don is 2 weeks away, your boat better be ready ! Nice work, it'll be way better than before I'm sure. Looking forward to sitting in it and consuming some adult beverages :).

P.S. I want to see you do just one chin up on that metal beam. 6-pack says you (and I for that matter) got NO CHANCE LOL !

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Just a small update today. Figured I show you what the back end looks like now with the plywood off. The 2x2s in there do NOT want to come out. They must have used the good glue back here at the factory.

Here's what the yard is looking like, and that's only a little over half of it!

Malcolm

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
03Ultra wrote:
Anything new?????
I keep tuning in and see Spec is on vacation. I can't say that I blame hin.

03Ultra
Explorer
Explorer
Anything new?????
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
2004 Itasca 36M Workhorse
2018 Toyota Tundra
2021 Toyota Highlander

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
ok malcolm,

i too will be waiting the future pics. i have a 1978 classic 24' tioga class c. she is in near mint condition. i'm 74 and proud to be her owner. good luck and God speed.

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
The old truck was my 55 Chevy 1/2 ton. I hated to let it go, but I sold it a few months ago to pay for my 2nd boat. :B

Malcolm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Since you've got the "C" deck just about cleared off, you should have just dropped the "Camper" right on the deck, and lashed it down.:) You know you would have no trouble towing the boat with that set up!! Of course, the A/C in the cab probably wouldn't be too effective, with the entire back open:B

Glad to hear that all is well....It might be a good idea to take a small break (as much as we all hate the thought of losing your great pictures and thread)....sit back and figure where to start on the re-build. It sounds as if that is about where you are now anyway.

Enjoy your summer! We'll all be waiting for future details!!:)

P.S. Love the old Ford in the background...is it running?
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Lucky_Mr_H
Explorer
Explorer
I figured you finally got to where I would have been a long time ago.....dump 5 gal of gas on it, and have a hot dog!:B

Man, I hope you hang in there and finish this thing.

You are my HERO!!!!

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still alive!

The weather has been playing peek a boo with me, not really giving me a good chance to pull all the wood out from under cover. It has been hot for a couple days now. I got the upper plywood pulled off the rear most floor section so I can start replacing the 2x2s around the edges. Problem is they are glued really strong! I'm having a heck of a time getting the black ones off.

This paired with the reality that I will not be able to finish by Labor Day, I have to re-adjust my plans for the month. My backup is to use my old truck and camper, so I need to get that ready as well as do a few things to the boat (I've never pulled this one with the truck/camper/extension). Here it is with the old boat in tow.

It has a solid 3 foot extension that puts the ball just under the back of the camper. It makes it a little too easy to jackknife even going forwards.
Malcolm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Shortie wrote:
Malcolm: Haven't seen a post from you in almost a week - is everything all right with you? Shortie

Yeah, I was wondering too....I've been out of cell-phone and internet range for the past week, and expected all sorts of photos??? How are things going on the "left coast"??

A lot of people have gotten used to this thread!! Hope that all is well.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Shortie
Explorer
Explorer
Malcolm: Haven't seen a post from you in almost a week - is everything all right with you? Shortie

FrugalFreak
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also just getting into my 79 model brougham,pics I temp fixed the passenger wall. I will fix passenger ceing better right when I can strip off roof and find a better way to reroof it. plan on total redo of roof plywood framing/studs, roof material. I'm hoping to DICOR rubber roof it entirely new hopefully someday. I'm on budget so it will be slow going.
15' ??Unknown?? Travel Trailer

PPCLI-Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeez guy my ol lady looks sidways at me whenever i pull the screwgun out in the MH. I've previously told her what i want to do to the dash and that it will be done in stages as i get all the stuff together. Once i have all the parts and the layout i like i will redo it once and for all. Generally not a problem for me but as i was buttoning it all up i gues i shorted out the dashboard rheostat on the light switch . no dashlights on a rainy dark night great,,, any way thats a hell of a job way to go im watching this as you continue to make headway .
Been there, doing that have a few T shirts .

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
tom1984 wrote:
Hey I did that to mine. I went the opposite way...completely gutted the inside and left the outside alone. I did have to start over with a complete new roof. here is the linkClick Here

Way cool, Hey, I like that Barbeque, looks JUST like mine...I love it !!!:B

Spectramac, you continue to amaze me......Way to go !!!!:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking 3/8 ply also, that was going to be my next question. Thanks!

I finally got that pesky rear bumper off last night. I'll take it to work and start welding up a nice hitch for it. I think the weather is going to heat back up next week so maybe I can get going on it again... 😉
Malcolm