cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

CISCO8325
Explorer
Explorer
Remember what I said awhile back , The saga continues, building complete will it fall and break the rv????? . hee heee I luv this forum, Its getting interesting..its like what came first the chicken or egg. Which will get completed the building or rv. ( I hope both) I'm more interested if he finally has a steady job ,that is most important than we can be more relax in his completion of this saga..JMHO.. Spectrmac I hope thing are going well for you..LOL

kraazy3
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a carpenter for 30 years and if those trusses were designed correctly they are supposed to transfer the weight down not out. The trusses are designed to give height clearence but the cross ties are still there to prevent separation of the walls. If I had any concern at all it would be side to side. I would be sure to cross brace the far end to prevent the wind from blowing the building over sideways. This should stand a considerable snow load with no problem. I would consider metal roofing to help shed the snow. I would trust this building in Vermont where I live.
Ron C

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO< It looks like to me that there is no support to keep the walls from pushing out as the weight of the roof pushs down undeer a load of snow.. I dont know how much snow weights per square foot but I know a shovel of wet snow is pretty heavy,( thanks to the Navy while I was In basic traning in Camp Dewey in Wis. in January.) It looks like a cross beam is needed here altho I realize the a/c might be to tall to clear under it...just a thot....

pointbrze
Explorer
Explorer
Malcolm, not that this has anything to do with your RV, but have you tried to see if there is a FREECYCLE in your area? It's on-line and sometimes people give away stuff for FREE (so it doesn't go into the land-fills); you could find shingles and stuff like that. When I moved into my home, there were 3 bundles of shingles that I didn't need; I placed it on FREECYCLE and it was gone within hours! 🙂
Me - Cindy
Sonny (Toy Poodle)
CoCo (LhasaPoo)

2010 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2501SS
2007 Tundra V8, 5.7L, P2 brake controller

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I'm thinking at this point the posts are the weak link too. I'm planning on adding at least couple more with a beam across them for lifting "stuff" in the future. I also have a couple calls into roofing guys looking for a good deal on shingles. We'll see what they can come up with. Getting close to monsoon season around here, I need to get it sealed up.
Malcolm

Xpltivdletd
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW a lot less substantial roof than that held more than 2 feet of damp WV 'powder' snow once--and about 240# of Yours Truly with a shovel, pushing it off. It was nearly flat (by somebody's design) and mostly supported by 2x4s on 24" centers. Long as the posts hold up, I don't see any amount of snow on THIS roof doing more than slide off it. Best regards.
Whose signature?

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
looks like its ready for some lights and some conveniently placed outlets.
i'd leave the walls open, for easy assess for installing any large objects / panels, cabinets, etc. if it gets cool. just use painters canvas floor coverings. they are fairly cheap and will last a long time. they can be made weather resistant by coating them with water repellent or just lacquer them after they are nailed / stapled up. they will let in light and keep out most of the cold. easy to remove for installing the large items.
cc

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
What's your plan to stabilize the posts, so that you can actually use the shed? Are you going to build walls? If so, will you get started on the Dodge before 2012? 😉
Lee

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
WOO HOO! Good job!
2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly. :B

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
The shed looks really good. I'll bet the MH will be just as good when you are finished with it.

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember telling anyone to hold their breath! :B

I did manage to get the rest of the plywood up...

It's kinda dark in there now! I'm going to need some lights!
Malcolm

CHV_FRK
Explorer
Explorer
I was holding my breath, but passed out. 2000 times!

I'm really interseted in seeing the rest of the project.
Dana and Natalie

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country DRW CC LB 4x4
-60 Aux Tank/Toolbox, Line-X, Full Tint, AirSafe 25K Hitch

2018 Jayco Seismic 4113, 45'7", 17,800lbs w/o the Toys.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pictures....we were about to slit our throats!!:B:B:B

It's really starting to look good.....and I'm sure the RV is chomping at the bit to get in there!!:)

Keep us posted....we love them pictures!!!
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, long time-no updates!! The shed got a much needed kick in the pants today. I finally got going on the right side of the roof.

Looks like we have some nice weather to start off the week, so maybe I can get the last of the sheeting done and actually put the roofing on!!! The Dodge is getting itchy to try out it's new home. :B
Malcolm

yogipsk
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gale, the RV would have to have a roof first...lol. Great job Malcolm, keep plugging away at it.
David and Vicki
1986 Georgie Boy Cruise Aire II 26'
RIP- Blondie the cocker
Oreo the crazy cat