cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fleetwood, Bounder, 1996...wtag wh..,14,000 miles

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
hello,comments about the 96 fleetwood , Bounder am buying..looking to tow my , KIA SOUL, 2015, 6 speed also need to bar some experiance.was a full timer for 8 years, before the 09-08.years.georgia boy lane
10 REPLIES 10

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
Cant beat a Smart Car for towing 1800 lbs you'll never know its back there !!
If it aint broke fix it till it is

Snow_Birds
Explorer
Explorer
We were going to buy a new 2015 Kia soul as a Toad. The dealer could not document that they would support 4 wheel down towing. This was a change - the 2014 Soul did support towing. We bought a slightly used 2014 6 spd stick Kia Soul. I doubt that that car changed that much. It seems that car companies more and more are not supporting 4 wheel down towing.

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
wow...great replys, gents....did not purchase...thanks...

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 96 Bounder w/tag on a 97 F53 chassis. It had lots of problems and I wouldn't recommend one to someone else. I did tow a Mazda pickup truck successfully.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 97 Holiday Rambler had electric brakes on the tag.

The left front axle was within 50 pounds of its max rating.

Going up long grades my right foot would get so hot as to be painful.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 95 33' bounder on a Ford F53 chassis (460/528). One set up correctly, it drives and handles well. Most of those older tag axle Bounders were built on the Ford chassis. 17,000# ver chevy's 16,500# chassis. The tag axle adds another 3,000# capacity. The tag axle also adds an additional problematic master cylinder to the braking system. Both Chevy and Ford chassis of that era had some flaws. The Ford needs thorough brake maintenance every 2 years, breaks exhaust manifold bolts, rides on 16" tires and probably will need rear sway bar bushings. The Chevy has independent front suspension that has room for improvements. IE air bags rupture, left side bell crank was poor when new. Exhaust manifolds crack, front brake hoses fail, etc.
If that 96 Bounder is on a 95 Chevy chassis it will be throttle body injected and be lacking for power. If on a 96 Chevy chassis it will be port injected and run very well. 240 HP ver. 290 HP.
If on a Ford chassis it will be port injected @ 245 HP and low on power. Headers help a BUNCH!
Be prepared for some fix-it expenses.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
1950panman wrote:
hello,comments about the 96 fleetwood , Bounder am buying..looking to tow my , KIA SOUL, 2015, 6 speed also need to bar some experiance.was a full timer for 8 years, before the 09-08.years.georgia boy lane

That works out to be 700 miles per year driven. I would be worried about corrosion in the moving parts, engine, tranny, rear end, etc. This would be one that I would suggest doing an oil analysis on and having a good mechanic go over it. The fluids still need to be changed if the rig is sitting for months and not being used. Just my take on it.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the tag I'm guessing it's the Ford. F53. 16" rims. I strongly disliked that chassis and would recommend against it.

Handled poorly in less than perfect conditions, inadequate, problematic brakes, exhaust header problems, fuel pump issues..

Was constantly fixing problems.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis is under the Bounder? If it's the GM, you will have the Auto Park Brake System for a parking brake.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 95ish bounder 32 footer on a P-30/32 chassis and towed a Tracker and a Dakota PU.
bumpy