cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flying J RV Islands

jgallego
Explorer
Explorer
I fueled up this morning at the Flying J on Richey Road in Houston, Tx. On the regular pump it had a label that the methanol could be a mixture of from 5 to 20 percent. On my F53 it states you can only use E10. You cannot use E20 or E85.

I just tried calling them but ended up getting disconnected before I could get an answer. Does anybody know anything about this? It seems like if this is true they will be losing all their gasoline customers.

Thanks,

Jaime
2014 Coachmen Mirada 35 DL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 4x4
2013 Honda CRV
13 REPLIES 13

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a 5 to 20% sign. If someone does post that, it is probably in self defense because they know that there are weird scientist types (like me) that test the fuel at every purchase. With oil prices down, I don't find the alcohol high. When oil was high, I would and I would be on the phone to the state right then.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel Engine manufacturers have limits on acceptable levels of biodiesel. Cummins approves B-20 for most newer than 20002 models, but only B-5 for prior models. BMW and Mercedes only allow B-5 and state resulting engine damage is not covered by warranty. Biodiesel does not store as well and gells at higher temperatures..

More detail here: BioDiesel

Gov't mandates biodiesel targets but not warranty coverage.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
The best fuel mileage we got last fall on a round trip to CA was on the fillups with biodiesel.

Other than better mileage there was no noticeable difference. We've been to FL and back since then along with several short hops and have not encountered any fuel filter issues or anything else that would be cause for concern.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have read in a number of states, including Florida where I live, all the diesel pumped at Pilot/Flying J stations is 20% bio diesel. I have a problem with this myself.

Ed Headington

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Soon there will be a fuel shortage because we didn't eat enough french fries . . . .

(not gonna happen - we are a well greased society!)

- bob

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
A look at the IPhone Flying J app indicates the price list of the fuel sold at this location. At the bottom of the price list is the line "Intended Bio Blend:20%" What is that?

"Bioblend" is a mixture of biodiesel and regular petroleum-based diesel fuel. The biodiesel is made from vegetable oils, cooking fat, animal fat, and stuff like that. The resulting biodiesel (which is really an ester) is mixed with petro diesel and sold as bioblend. I guess Flying J is indicating the the blend could contain as much as 20% biodiesel?

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
A look at the IPhone Flying J app indicates the price list of the fuel sold at this location. At the bottom of the price list is the line "Intended Bio Blend:20%" What is that?

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I filled my my Sierra Diesel at a WalMart a few months ago at a small town in western Alabama. As I was putting the hose up I noticed a nice little sticker on the pump with "may contain up to 10% ethanol". I was sure the "sticker guy" was told to go put these new stickers on all of the pumps and he included the diesel pump, but to be safe before I even started my engine I asked the attendant to find the store manager as I wouldn't pay for the fuel or move my truck until he arrived. It didn't take long and I expressed my concern to him that if that tank did have ethanol in it I needed him to call a tow truck and have my Sierra towed to the nearest dealer to have the tank drained at his expense. He quickly got on the phone to his fuel supplier and cleared it up. While I watched he peeled off the stickers assuring me it was a sticker mistake and not ethanol in the diesel. At least future customers would be as concerned as I was.

I know I'm a pain, but.......
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
jgallego wrote:
I fueled up this morning at the Flying J on Richey Road in Houston, Tx. On the regular pump it had a label that the methanol could be a mixture of from 5 to 20 percent. On my F53 it states you can only use E10. You cannot use E20 or E85.

I just tried calling them but ended up getting disconnected before I could get an answer. Does anybody know anything about this? It seems like if this is true they will be losing all their gasoline customers.

Thanks,

Jaime

I'm not sure what that's about. EPA has issued an E15 Waiver, but that waiver specifically excludes "All vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as school buses, transit buses, and delivery trucks," which I would assume includes the F53 V-10 engines. Use of anything other than E10 in those vehicles is legally prohibited, which would make it weird for Flying J to sell it in the RV island pumps. Sounds to me like someone put the wrong label on the pumps.
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

jgallego
Explorer
Explorer
This was the first time I have seen this sign. It is not really telling you a specific amount but rather than it could be from 5 to 20% mixture.
2014 Coachmen Mirada 35 DL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 4x4
2013 Honda CRV

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen any that had more than 10% ethanol.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would not use 20% ethanol on my F53. I have not seen that sign at Flying Js. The only sign I've seen is up to 10% ethanol.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad