cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flying J

rickmanj1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Flying J for 15 years as dedicated as I can be . On my last trip 5000 miles I had to use whatever diesel stations available .they were cheaper ,faster ,They would just turn the pump on for us.(we are Canadian and can't use our card at pump.).free y fi at some and lots of rest areas have free dump sites. No more Flying J for me.
31 REPLIES 31

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is definately less Customer friendly. We've encountered inumerable problems associated with buying fuel from them, centered around paying for it.
Two weeks ago wife fueled car at Flying J/Pilot. They didn't giver her discount on the loyalty card. She went in to get it. They insisted they had to void the transaction and do another one. Fine, except they kept the total amount of the ticket without the discount. Several calls and two weeks before the money reappeared in our account. It's not the first time.
Estimating the amount of fuel we needed, she guessed 200.00 too much.
she had to tell them the amount before they would turn the pump on.
She presented her loyalty card, at the counter too. It took about ten days for that 200.00 to be returned to our account. Would giving them two 100.00 bills extra have caused them to hold the money too? It is the same difference. They are making money, on the "float." they can tell all the bs they want to. It makes them look foolish to knowingly tell lies to people. People are not stupid but have no way to stop the, what amounts to theft, of our money, so they can make additional money at the bank. Take 200.00 or whatever amounts time 100,000 mistakes a year, likely more, hold that money for 7 to 10 days in their account at 2% for ten days. That's a lot, of extra money, in a designed in system, that take no maintenance and only telling your Managers to lie and cheat the Customers.
I really hate pulling up to some of their pumps that says 495.00 limit per transaction, to have the pump/station only let you have 75.00 to 125.00 in fuel. After second transaction, you have to go to the desk and pay estimated amount needed or let them hold card, depending on the time of day, position of the sun, and if Manager had a bad morning. Many time it won't even take the card and requires a trip to the counter and wait behind, six or seven or more, Truck Drivers and others buying chips, lottery tickets or paying for fuel. Meantime there are two other registers or at least one closed while the worker stocks shelves, pees, or is doing whatever.
Pilot really doesn't give a hoot about their Customers. there are lots of people buying fuel, and they don't have to have all, of them, to make their fortune, or one more Employee to make a difference. They don't have to so why should they try to keep their Customers happy? This is the ordinary in Germany.

JeepCB
Explorer
Explorer
When I need fuel I will at least look around at the other stations prices around the exit. Fuel is usually like .10 cheaper, and it does add up. That being said we are in the middle of a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons trip and we did spent a night in Barstow,CA FJ parking lot. They were the only one at the Barstow exit that had a place for RVs and small trailers that was not next to the big rigs and seemed safe and well lit. I gladly topped of my tank in return(the breakfast sandwich was pretty bad though). Thanks for letting me get some sleep FJ!
"Life is hard; it's harder when you're stupid" J.W.

2006 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW QC/LB 5.9 CRD 6spd, w/Pacbrake.
2006 Denali 29rl-H5. 2 6V GC Batteries, but no solar yet.

richarfg
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with Flying J. Get a little peturbed with Love's...$100.00 worth of fuel, and they shut you off...put card in again....another $100.00...put card in again....DECLINED. Now that's what I call a hassle. Give me crowds, give me hard turnarounds, but don't decline my credit!

iamcanuck45
Explorer
Explorer
rickmanj1 wrote:
I have been using Flying J for 15 years as dedicated as I can be . On my last trip 5000 miles I had to use whatever diesel stations available .they were cheaper ,faster ,They would just turn the pump on for us.(we are Canadian and can't use our card at pump.).free y fi at some and lots of rest areas have free dump sites. No more Flying J for me.

The reason you can't use your Canadian card is because you do not have a zip code. You can use this trick...
For example if your postal code is 7w8 x9y, then punch in 78900. This works for me, when I want to use my Canuck Card.:B
'92 Newmar Kountry Aire, 37'.
André and Elizabeth.
First mate: MacDuff (Welsh terrier)
Asst' first mate: Allie (wire-haired fox terrier) rescued

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
I buy fuel ( diesel)where it is most convenient..The brand does not matter..
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I know it doesn't work for those with gas motorhomes, but for those of us with diesel, I always use the truck pumps. Always fast in- fast out. Those truck pumps pump 20 gal/minute. Makes for a fast fill up! And with the discount Good Sam card, you don't have to even go into the store if you don't need a receipt.

Ed Headington

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I also use to stop at FJ but the RV lane was always occupied and many times the RVer's would be inside for a long time or waiting for propane and then using the dump station.
I just don't have the patience to wait 30/40 minuets for my turn, I just want to gas up and go.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that Flying J usually has the best price for gas. Now we get a 3 cent per gallon discount with our Good Sam Card. You can call me a satisfied customer.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Its usually the people in TT or 5'ers that say they go to regular gas stations and get better prices. Try doing that with a large DP with a toad. Your toad will be out in the road while you get gas or fuel. Then pray that you don't have to backup to get out.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Its usually the people in TT or 5'ers that say they go to regular gas stations and get better prices. Try doing that with a large DP with a toad. Your toad will be out in the road while you get gas or fuel. Then pray that you don't have to backup to get out.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
I have a gasser. Never use anything other than Costco if they are around. Easy in, easy out. Not like FJ where you have to fight autos parked at the building to get out of the fuel lanes.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

jbuening
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Flying J for the past 15 years and have never had a problem with them.
Jack Buening
Jack Buening
Jacksonville, FL

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I will post the contrary position of rockhillmanor. I avoid Loves, usually the highest percent of bio-diesel, have had more employee issues and just as long a waits as FJ. I have used FJ for years with FW's, now the MH and even when just the diesel PU I used the truck lanes with never a problem. Are there lines sometimes, yes, are there sometimes less than perfect employees, yes but you know what yesterday I had a less than perfect employee at a grocery store and the guy at the autoparts store could use more training.

Now what I won't use is the RV lanes at FJ to many inconsiderate people, including RVer's.

Also I won't wander off into a strange town within unknown traffic for 4 blocks to save a few cents on diesel. Just my personal feelings, I will pay for convenience. FJ or truck stops for me!
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When I started out full timing I sought out Flying J's for all my fuel stops. I think when one is 'new at RV'ing' they feel it is easier for an RV to get fuel, propane, dump etc at a Flying J's.

Fast forward several years of REAL REAL bad service at the counter, propane island at the gas pump lane with people coming in from both directions to get propane, insane congestion at the pumps, car parking in front of store that prohibits a MH towing from ever getting out of the gas lanes until the cars move out,

I now avoid Flying J's like the plague. When I pull off the road for fuel and rest, I certainly don't need to go thru all that hassle plus abuse from a snotty uneducated lazy cashier.

Which BTW I did call Flying J and reported these cashiers and they were 'well aware of the problems with their employees across several states, so I was not the lone ranger experiencing it.

IMHO Love's are cleaner, nicer employees, AND always plenty of room at the pumps for entry and exit. And actually most right off the ramp gas stations are a better bet than any Fly J. The longer you RV the more you learn you don't need no stinkin J to fuel up at! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.