cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FMCA Vote. A Poll and your thoughts.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been a Motor Home owner and member of FMCA since 1994. I have been a full time RVer since 1997. I think as a full time RVer for 20 years I have some insight worth sharing and I am still learning new stuff everyday. So, my questions to existing FMCA members about the recent changes include, but are not limited to.....

A) The FMCA vote to allow towables has not changed my opinion of FMCA in any way.

B) I will not renew my FMCA membership but I will remain an active member of the FMCA forum.

C) I am DONE with FMCA and I am out of here!

D) Something else

To non-FMCA members and/or non-Motor home owners (add any additional information or suggestions)....

E) What's FMCA?

F) I am excited to be able to join FMCA!

G) It's to early to make a decision....Is there a benefit to me to joining FMCA?

H) I am already a member of other similar organizations and see no need to join.

I) What exactly do I get if I join FMCA that I don't already have now?

Any other thoughts about anything related to the FMCA changes. I would like to keep this topic pretty rigidly on this narrow topic if at all possible.

What, if anything, do you think this change will have on you, specifically. Not the industry, not your friends, not tent campers, etc. What, if any, effect do you think this will have on you?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?
52 REPLIES 52

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I am a non-member and have always felt along this line regarding FMCA:

H) I am already a member of other similar organizations and see no need to join.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Bruce_Brown
D

We used to be members. The last time the renewal came we thought about it for a bit and couldn't come up with even one reason to renew. It's not that they did anything wrong, we just couldn't think of one thing about being a member we'd miss.

That was 3-4 years ago, I still can't think of anything we miss.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
...I think it's important that we continue to support an organization like FMCA for the betterment of RVing and the protection of RVer's rights.

Maybe you could tell us more about how FMCA does this? I really don't know.

Neither do I, but would like to. That kind of goes back to my previous post about the impossibility of being able to read their constitution, bylaws, Handbook etc, or get any detailed info on the benefits (such as the fine print) online prior to sending in the green. That just seems strange FWIW. Are the dues refundable? What if you pay and then get access to all the info and are not satisfied with it? I tried to run through the payment process to see if at some point before clicking the final button you were provided with any terms or whatever, and you get nothing.

There seems to be enough FMCA members in this forum who jump at the first letter of a negative post towards FMCA, but no one will answer the questions previously asked. Better yet post up the docs listed above or an accessible link.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
C.
I will have to wait and see. I don't have interest in conventions. It is not that they are bad, just not my thing. RV insurance, medical insurance, towing etc I like to shop for myself. I will say that the FMCA Michelin Tire program is incredible as it saved us over $500 on our last coach. In all of my travels I have only been able to use my membership for a campground discount one or two times. I did like the idea that their focus was 100% on motorhomes. I can justify my Good Sam's and Passport Memberships as they pay for themselves through campground discounts. I will just have to wait and see how it goes with the combined FMCA program. Currently I am disappointed that it has lost its exclusivity.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
H
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know the answer to that either. I have seen the Escapees fight for the rights of RVers and especially full timers so seeing what FMCA has done would be interesting. I am guessing they have done a number of things but I really can't remember what they were.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
...I think it's important that we continue to support an organization like FMCA for the betterment of RVing and the protection of RVer's rights.

Maybe you could tell us more about how FMCA does this? I really don't know.

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
Wow this is a very interesting thread/poll. My response would be:
I) What exactly do I get if I join FMCA that I don't already have now?

Why? Because I have been camping and RVing for many years in many vehicles but never owned a motorhome. As such I have very little knowledge of what FMCA offers. I have been a Good Sam member for about 15 years (looking back I should have taken the lifetime option). I joined because I was excited at the prospect of camping discounts and the discount at camping world. I was young and naive back then plus it was harder to find RV stuff. I maintain my membership because the camping discounts offset my membership cost. I have no loyalty to Good Sam, in fact after buying an RV from Camping World my opinion of them as a whole has soured. If I had a better, or even a similar, offer elsewhere I would be apt to take it.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Don. If that's the way it appeared, I have completely failed in trying to get some honest feedback about what the average RVer thinks of this change.
I will edit the topic slightly but hopefully others will see your post and this one before answering.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Bill....I think some are incorrectly reading what you wrote. When I first read it, it sounded like you were listing the reasons why you were no longer going to be a member. I think some answered it that way.

You should have included....I'm conducting a poll, please select one of the choices below in regards to how you feel about the new FMCA expansion.

My answer is (A). I've been an FMCA member since 2005. I've attended a few rallies and occasionally read their magazine. I don't use any of their other services. With that said, I think it's important that we continue to support an organization like FMCA for the betterment of RVing and the protection of RVer's rights.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Should be an interesting thread. Some people feel strongly about the issue, some feel more strongly about themselves. Others simply poke the fire. :E

For us not being full timers, we don't really belong to camping groups. We tried Good Sam, but the membership and "discounts" and benefits were so bungled up in the first 30 days that we bailed.

We might join a camping discount group soon, as we expect to be traveling a lot more.

Watching this discussion. The last thing we want in a traveling program or group is more frustration or discord.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
So far I have not seen one piece of concrete evidence that allowing towables will mean that any of the motorized members will LOSE any benefits.
In fact, more people in the organization may allow FMCA to negotiate even better benefits for ALL of it's members.
Obviously I do not think the sky is falling. :B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
B) Is FMCA a Club / Association, or a business?

You missed one. How about a "secret society"? You really don't know what's going on until your "in" hook-line-and-sinker! And then apparently, you have to be at the top of the food chain too.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
gatorcq wrote:
Here is my thought - you do not get to have my thought, as the vote is in and it is a done deal. Leave, stay you can choose what you want to do. This is a free country. So, sorry, that you had to post this because you wanted what?

What did I want? I was interested in hearing other peoples opinions. Sorry that you are only interested in yours.
I hope others will continue to post. I think it is interesting. Even the posts from the haters as they cannot be avoided in any topic.

One option you did not list in your itemized selections is something to the effect of "I have no desire to join any such group".

I know little about FMCA other than what I have read in RV related forums, and the times I have met members at campgrounds. However since this is now probably the most active thread not only here at RVnet and quite a few other boards, maybe someone could answer these questions.

If i go to the FMCA "governance" link on the FMCA site and attempt view any information such as Financials, Governing Board, Officers, Bylaws, Constitution, etc, I notice that info is not disclosed and you need to be a paying member to register to open the links.

A) Why would I want to join an organization without being able to see who runs it, the money trail, or at least the constitution and bylaws prior to handing over cash to join?
B) Is FMCA a Club / Association, or a business?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
gatorcq wrote:
Here is my thought - you do not get to have my thought, as the vote is in and it is a done deal. Leave, stay you can choose what you want to do. This is a free country. So, sorry, that you had to post this because you wanted what?

What did I want? I was interested in hearing other peoples opinions. Sorry that you are only interested in yours.
I hope others will continue to post. I think it is interesting. Even the posts from the haters as they cannot be avoided in any topic.