cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

French Door residential refrigerator

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2017 George Town motor home by Forest River. A major problem is that they installed a huge French Door residential 110 volt refrigerator which has two upper doors and a lower freezer drawer. They have a small rubber strap that goes across the two upper side-by-side doors and a small rubber strap across the bottom freezer drawer. The straps are latched on both sides with small hooks. The doors and drawer are continually coming open while traveling down the road.

Is there someway to install a solid latch that will keep all three closed while traveling? There is only 1/2" between the upper doors and lower drawer.

Thank you for your help

Grampyjd
Sincerely,

grampyjd
jstouffer@stouffertech.com
29 REPLIES 29

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill,

That will hold all three closed. I couldn't picture what the plywood looked like.
You RV's sure have some great ideas.
Thanks a million.

Grampyjd
Sincerely,

grampyjd

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not is you are using the LAMP latch. There is nothing Mickey Mouse about it. The lock long and strong. Even the others will likely do very well as there is never much pressure on the doors, you just need something to keep them from from breaking the seal.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
There it is. That's the seriously ugly thing I was talking about! Functional, but seriously ugly! You just have to make a choice.

Ugly? Just wait until one of those Mickey Mouse latches lets go and you spill the refer guts all over the floor. Momma ain't going to be happy

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Easy peazy. Some plywood and felt.
and it works, only need it when on the road.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't overload the doors and use bars to keep contents from shifting to the doors. We use curtain tension rods.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There it is. That's the seriously ugly thing I was talking about! Functional, but seriously ugly! You just have to make a choice.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Easy peazy. Some plywood and felt.

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks msalyer, You have a sharp cookie there. We will try looping the rubber strap. We have over 1500 miles on our way home and will try that first.

safe traveling everybody

Grampyjd
Sincerely,

grampyjd

msalyer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Georgetown 351. We had the same problem with the doors coming open until my DW figured it out. Instead of going straight across the fridge from hook to hook with the rubber strap go from one hook AROUND both door handles and to the other hook. the rubber is quite tight but works great. Our bottom freezer stays closed with no problems. Give it a try. Hope it helps.

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
grampyjd wrote:
I bought a 2017 George Town motor home by Forest River. A major problem is that they installed a huge French Door residential 110 volt refrigerator which has two upper doors and a lower freezer drawer. They have a small rubber strap that goes across the two upper side-by-side doors and a small rubber strap across the bottom freezer drawer. The straps are latched on both sides with small hooks. The doors and drawer are continually coming open while traveling down the road.

Is there someway to install a solid latch that will keep all three closed while traveling? There is only 1/2" between the upper doors and lower drawer.

Thank you for your help

Grampyjd

that seems odd?? R U putting too much heavy stuff in the doors while travelling? I don't put any in the doors and mine seem to stay shut just fine? I do use a bungy cord but have travelled lots with no latch and have never had the fridge some open;; do u have the straps adjusted properly?

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I installed two of these. Needed to shim upper doors a 1/4 inch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKFIICE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everybody. These are some good ideas. We do use heavy curtain rods to hold containers and bottles away from the doors. However, the freezer door also opens unexpectedly. I don't know what kind of RV engineer thought of putting such a big refrigerator without positive door latches. We've been RVing for 35 years and can't believe the stupidity of today's RV engineers (and my stupidity for buying it). It will only run on 110 volts ac, there is no option for propane. It did not have a switch for turning it off while housing it with the ac plugged in (I keep a fan running while it is being stored). I made up a switch box to solve this problem, but it should have been done by the manufacturer.
Oh well this is the least of my problems with this motor home...
Safe and happy traveling everyone.

Grampyjd
Sincerely,

grampyjd

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
We velcroed the top doors tight and they never opened and for the bottom drawer got a metal sliding door lock and taped it to the side of the fridge and screwed it into the wall and held the door tightly closed.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
We do as well...Entegra uses a latch mechanism and a plate similar to a window lock on the front of the French doors and a side lock on the freezer door...works well..You could call Jayco and have them sell you that mechanism. but you will have to screw them on the dorrs themselves.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)