cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

front or rear diesel

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
how many of class a owners have or have had a front diesel and what do you think of them instead of rear diesel thank
17 REPLIES 17

Mushroom
Explorer
Explorer
Musicman I have driven both flavors there is a little trade off for you to consider.
Noise is the primary concern. In most rear models the bed is over the engine. If you have a driver and are trying to sleep between stops so you can work/play when you arrive you may consider the front motor a benefit. If this is used as the average family taking a trip and ever want to communicate while driving make darn sure you get a rear mounted engine. ๐Ÿ™‚
Really it is a big deal driving down the road. I think the may be an advantage or two from having a shorter driveshaft and the associated maintenance, but I could be wrong.
1994 Vectra DP
230 Cummins / MD3060 Allison Trans
Banks Stinger / Improved Injectors
US Gear Exhaust Brake
Towing 2007 Jeep Liberty / Unified Tow Brake

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Dtank wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Well, you asked, so here goes:

IMO a rear-engine diesel is not everything,.....it's the ONLY THING!
That's the impression I got after 5 front-engine motorhomes and just ONE diesel pusher.

You went through 5 front end diesel's to get that? Why did you keep buying them if you didn't like them?

Read again.

He didn't say he had 5 front end *diesels*..:S

Simply, ".....after 5 front engine motorhomes".

Could be five of either -
but my "read" would be 5 (front engine) gassers...;)

The question was about front engine diesel versus rear engine diesel. I assumed the answer was to the question asked. :S
no i found a motor home with a diesel motor in the front i was wonder how it compared to a pusher

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP chose to ask his question in the Class A forum. And, IMO there's not many of us on this forum who have owned Class A front-engined diesels. But, IMO it's OK because the OP might've learned something. And, I contributed with my opinion, which is that in a Class A, the best location for the engine is in the rear.
Obviously, large motorhomes with a front-located diesel engine are all built on a truck chassis.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cloud Dancer wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:

That's the impression I got after 5 front-engine motorhomes and just ONE diesel pusher.

You went through 5 front end diesel's to get that? Why did you keep buying them if you didn't like them?

Because during the period when I owned/used the first 3 I was somewhat ignorant about motorhomes, but I couldn't help learning a few things because I usually keep my eyes open. These 3 where gasoline engined, and all I could afford (less than elegant). The 4th was a bit better(still a gasoline engine though), and it made me more interested in learning about nicer units. My wife and I started talking more and more to RVers who had newer units, and some of them diesel pushers. We started talking/wishing for a diesel pusher. But, our 5th one was still a front gas-engined unit, on a Ford chassis. It was a Vectra (the Winnebago part of it was good/nice, but the Ford part was very disappointing). It led me into a period of learning more, and test driving some diesel pushers. I did quite a bit of research, and decided to special order a Dutch Star, just the way we wanted it. It's the only way to travel. If I had plenty of money, I would buy a 45 ft luxury DP (now that I've learned exactly which one).

Okay, I understand. But the OP was asking about front diesels versus rear diesels. Not about front gassers versus rear diesels. That is why I asked. I assume the OP is considering one of the big semi-truck model motorhomes. I think technically they are Class C's.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dtank wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:

Read again.

The question was about front engine diesel versus rear engine diesel. I assumed the answer was to the question asked. :S

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The point that I tried to make is that, design-wise and utility-wise, locating the engine in the back is superior (in a class A).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
Floorplan 4010

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:

Because during the period when I owned/used the first 3 I was somewhat ignorant about motorhomes, but I couldn't help learning a few things because I usually keep my eyes open. These 3 where gasoline engined, and all I could afford (less than elegant). The 4th was a bit better(still a gasoline engine though), and it made me more interested in learning about nicer units. My wife and I started talking more and more to RVers who had newer units, and some of them diesel pushers. We started talking/wishing for a diesel pusher. But, our 5th one was still a front gas-engined unit, on a Ford chassis. It was a Vectra (the Winnebago part of it was good/nice, but the Ford part was very disappointing). It led me into a period of learning more, and test driving some diesel pushers. I did quite a bit of research, and decided to special order a Dutch Star, just the way we wanted it. It's the only way to travel. If I had plenty of money, I would buy a 45 ft luxury DP (now that I've learned exactly which one).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
Floorplan 4010

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:

Read again.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
thank everyone i wont get it and no wonder its a steal i always get the best answers heer safe travels

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cloud Dancer wrote:

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
Floorplan 4010

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see any benefits to the smaller diesels up front, only negatives - lack of power, no air brakes, no air ride, no retarder, engine noise up front when you're up front and generator noise when you're in the back. And, the mid door kills the idea.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
Quite what?

Quite Quiet.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Quite what?