cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel Cost in Arizona?

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure what this means, IS a person with a Class A Motorhome required to purchase Diesel at a special pump? We are planning on spending the winter in AZ and would like clarification prior to getting there. Thank you,

Diesel Fueling in Arizona
Messag e from Jim Koca, Advocacy Director

Arizona fuel-tax rates are different from what we may be used to while traveling throughout the United States. This fuel law has been on the books for several years. The law states:

The Arizona tax on gasoline (motor vehicle fuel) is 18 cents per gallon. Use fuel (diesel) is taxed at two rates in Arizona.

-If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class motor vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is 26 cents for each gallon.

-A "use class motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that uses use fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or having more than two axles.

I talked to the Revenue & Fuel Tax Administratio n Fuel Tax Manager in Phoenix, Az, and asked for the definition of the "passenger carrying vehicle" and he stated that would include a motor home. What this means is those who have a vehicle that has three or more axles or a declared gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001+ lbs are required to use the truck lanes and pay the higher fuel tax. The regular diesel tax is 18 cents. Filling the RV at the regular pumps will subject you to a citation with a steep fine. Arizona has a Fuel Tax Evasion Unit that monitors the filling of vehicles at fuel stations.

Escapees feel that this information should be sent out to all of the members that travel through Arizona.

I would like to thank all of the members who have sent in this information to Headquarters so that we could investigate this issue.
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge
25 REPLIES 25

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize to all for starting this post, I was just curious since the message came from Escapees and they normally are on top of things. I am fine with it either way and am going to AZ tax or no tax! It will not make a big difference in my budget. Otherwise, I would not be traveling. Hope everyone has a good evening! Sara
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, we did discuss this at length and the problem is you apparently have people in high places in AZ who do not know how to read or interpret laws. A motorhome is not listed in the law. The law applies to "passenger carrying vehicles" or the listed trucks. A passenger carrying vehicle is a term used to describe vehicles designed to carry passengers for hire, such as a bus.

And the issue is more than just pay the tax. There are only 76 commercial fueling locations in AZ. So if you think you need to pay the tax, you have to go to one of those 76 truck stops to buy your fuel. You can't pull into the local AM/PM and fill up with their diesel.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
If a customer signs the form to get the"refund" when not entitled to it I doubt the clerk behind the counter is the one who it's going to be fine. Guess who it will be.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
redsb3 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The 'use fuel tax' doesn't apply to private MHs

If you fuel up at a pump that is set for the higher fuel use tax......go inside and get your refund of $.08/gallon.
All you have to do is ask cashier, fill out info on THEIR 'refund tax form' (provided by AZ Fuel Tax Division) and sign for refund.

Did you read the above post completely??? Tag axle, more than 26000 lbs. NO EXCEPTIONS, RV's must pay the tax. Just cause the cashier will give you a refund, doesn't mean it's right. I really trust some clerk to know AZ law.

They have the refund form supplied by AZ Fuel Tax Division which is a legal document that they have to turn in and account for.

Get your refund or don't.....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

redsb3
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

If you fuel up at a pump that is set for the higher fuel use tax......go inside and get your refund of $.08/gallon.
All you have to do is ask cashier, fill out info on THEIR 'refund tax form' (provided by AZ Fuel Tax Division) and sign for refund.

Did you read the above post completely??? Tag axle, more than 26000 lbs. NO EXCEPTIONS, RV's must pay the tax. Just cause the cashier will give you a refund, doesn't mean it's right. I really trust some clerk to know AZ law.
2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

X-2, I've never had a problem at fuel pumps in Arizona! I've been going to AZ. for many years and I stay there for 6 months at a time.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
Top off your tank in New Mexico (assuming you are coming from Texas) and don't pay AZ the fuel tax...problem solved ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
Do you have a tag axle
If You do , just don't take a chance, just pay the extra tax

Is 8 cents a gallon going to break you

Eight cents one hundred gallons $8 more per fill up

Go down the street spend twice that for lattes and sandwich

If your passing thru, don't stop
If your snow birding, your already saving plenty by being in Az

I think people have made too big a fuss over this
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been discussed at length ad nauseam

Link

Another LINK

And another one LINK

No consensus, conflicting views, secondhand stories, different responses from 'officials'

Dangerous situation...stay away from AZ or pay higher fuel tax/big fine OR just plan horse pucky because folks have been fueling up big heavy MHs for years and no one in a MH has reported being fined, gotten a citation or be scolded.

AZ is a snowbird haven

Horse pucky.

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Here you Go!
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain