cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas vs diesel value

jwiz7
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my gas Monaco 2 yrs ago and now want another. I never considered a diesel because i thought they were out of my price range. But while researching i realized that diesels approaching 8-10 yrs seem to be very close to values of gas units. So now i am considering purchasing a diesel. Question is. Why are their values so close as they approach 10 yrs? Prior to this age they is usually quite a bit different.
15 REPLIES 15

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
jwiz7 wrote:
Thank you for all the replys. I will now include older DP's in my search. I had always presumed they were a lot more expensive than gas. But in the 8-10 yr range they are more affordable.
ALL coaches get a lot more affordable in terms of price-lowered, when they're approaching or beyond the 10-year mark of age. Good luck finding something you like!

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Mileage put on a diesel are not mileage deducted (NADA) from sales price. Gasoline units are mileage deducted. That's a rather stout testimony for the reason why diesels hold their premium values so well.

jwiz7
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replys. I will now include older DP's in my search. I had always presumed they were a lot more expensive than gas. But in the 8-10 yr range they are more affordable.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, I couldn't tell if the OP was talking about comparing a used gasser and a used DP. I could only assume that it was a new gasser compared to a used DP.

A 10 yr. old gasser and 10. yr. old DP are not in the same price range. Generally, the DP'ers are in the low $100,000's-$140,000 while the gassers are in the $30,000's to the upper $40,000's range. My reference is taking a quick look at pplmotorhomes.com.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
I question the OP's assertion that there is no difference between the price of a ten year old DP and gas powered coach. I've been looking at 2004-2005 DPs and many of them are over $100K with the low end in the high $50s. There are lots of gas powered coaches under $50K in that price range.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My high end DP is 18 years old and has over 100k on it.....somehow I have so far escaped any catastrophic repairs unless a radiator qualifies. But the equipment and quality of it is far better than most new gassers and entry level DPs......you know the ones we are talking about......

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ivylog wrote:
HELLO... he's comparing a new gasser to a 10 year old higher end DP. Instead of $140K for a new gasser... buy a 2006 Monaco Executive for $140K. I've said on here many times I'd take a used higher end DP over a new gasser for the same price any day. I'm at 12 years and the only chassis parts I've replaced is tires... fronts at 7 years and rears at 10. In another 8 years I'll do the tires again.

As the price of new gas MH's go up, the price of used DP's go down and depending on the original price of the DP they will meet... which is around 9 years for higher end DPs. Lower end DPs will equal sooner. You are correct in looking at the higher end DPs to buy. Even at 12 years old I plan on keeping mine for another 10-15 years which is when I'll probably age out.

Go back and re-read the OP's comment. He's saying for equivilent units (there are no gas powered DP's), the price difference goes away at around 10yrs old. He's not comparing a new gas to a used diesel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
HELLO... he's comparing a new gasser to a 10 year old higher end DP. Instead of $140K for a new gasser... buy a 2006 Monaco Executive for $140K. I've said on here many times I'd take a used higher end DP over a new gasser for the same price any day. I'm at 12 years and the only chassis parts I've replaced is tires... fronts at 7 years and rears at 10. In another 8 years I'll do the tires again.

As the price of new gas MH's go up, the price of used DP's go down and depending on the original price of the DP they will meet... which is around 9 years for higher end DPs. Lower end DPs will equal sooner. You are correct in looking at the higher end DPs to buy. Even at 12 years old I plan on keeping mine for another 10-15 years which is when I'll probably age out.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just went thru the PU buying process a little over a year ago. Similar condition and miles and there was no real difference prices.

Newer ones had a small price increase for diesel but no where close to the initial dealer price increase.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be that 10 years old gasser has 60,000 miles on it, while 10- years old diesel 400,000 ?
Comparing pickups, try to sell 15 years old gasoline pickup with 320,000 miles on it.
I still got $4500 for mine Powerstroke.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 dodge 2500 sold at a 3000 premium because of the 24 v cummins over a gas pu same year.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Probably the same reason 10yr old diesel pickups are about the same price as the equivalent gas trucks.

Those willing to feed their ego with a huge cost upgrade when it isn't needed usually aren't buying 10yr old rigs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Owning a gas Monaco you may not he happy with anything else in a gas coach. Monaco put diesel quality in their gas coaches. Built its last gas coach in 2013. They then sold out to Fleetwood parent co. JMHO. Some dealers still have some 2013 models on their lot. They discounted them almost down to cost because everyone thought Monaco was going to go belly up again and not honor warranties. Turns out all warranties were honored and one of the best in the industry. Really like our Monaco.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 10 years both types of coaches are out of warranty and repair costs will be 100% the owner's responsibility. From posts on this forum you will learn that sometimes stuff happens, in spite of what we all believe. Occasionally a gas engine will fail, and occasionally a diesel engine will fail. The cost to replace a gas engine may be $10,000 but to replace the diesel engine may be $30,000. The same goes for a transmission replacement even tho it is less expensive.
As a coach ages, the possibility of a major repair decreases the value of the coach to the point where a major repair can exceed the value of the RV. This point is reached quicker with a DP than with a gas coach.