Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas vs Diesel

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, looking for some opinions.

Been out of RVing for several years and looking to get back in the game. I had several travel trailers and fifth wheels over the years but I want a Class A this time. Staying pretty basic and under $70,000.00.
So here is the question, older diesel pusher or new gas burner?
My research indicates I can get a 2006-2008 diesel pusher or a 2011-2013 gas coach in the target price range.
Most of our trips will be towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and in the 5-7 hour range.

Three units under consideration are:
2007 Coachmen Pathfinder - 50,000 miles, Genset has 1900 hrs, tires are DOT dated 2011
2005 Beaver Monterey - 30,000 miles Genset has 600 hours tires are DOT dated 2008 and need to be replaced
2013 Coachmen Mirada - 3000 miles Genset has 115 hours.
All three coaches are priced with between $65k and $68K

Thoughts, comments, suggestions of any kind appreciated.
89 REPLIES 89

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
A downside to diesel seems to be that they have to be idled an hour or so upon arrival and departure at the campsite. At least that's my experience being parked next to them, including the honker that just pulled out from the CG in Idaho Falls. She only idled it 45 minutes though so I guess I should be happy.
As stated above, that kind of idling is a "fashion statement". Diesel engines do not need to be idled to cool down. It is true that the turbo bearings do need to be cooled down to avoid coking of the oil in the bearings, but that only requires about 5 mins of light or no load running to push enough lube oil through the bearing to cool them down. Usually, that is accomplished from the off ramp from the freeway or highway to the gate of the campground. They may need a little idling deploy slides but that is all.

When leaving, idling a diesel will NOT warm it up so other than needing to pump up air or bring in slides no other idling is necessary. I have a diesel and I wouldn't like excessive idling either.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
45 minutes of idling is fashion statement and has nothing to do with diesel fuel.
On my conversion I had small air compressor that run off the inverter. You could not hear it at campground noise even if you stood next to the compartment.
I pumped up my system to 90 psi with compressor and about 10 seconds after the engine start I was moving.
Newer commonrail diesels can be quieter than lot of gasoline engines.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
A downside to diesel seems to be that they have to be idled an hour or so upon arrival and departure at the campsite. At least that's my experience being parked next to them, including the honker that just pulled out from the CG in Idaho Falls. She only idled it 45 minutes though so I guess I should be happy.

I always hated that as well. New to a DP, I try to stay conscious of that and getting more efficient each time. I understand the air has to pump up to leave, but that only takes about 3 minutes. I try to be as quick as possible, running it for slides in or out, jacks, and all while the air is pumping.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plan to live 60 more years and by the time the self-driving motorhomes become legal, I likely will really need one.
Also very likely at the time fuel economy will drop past 30th place on my priority list.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Oh heck with the gas vs diesel thread I vote far a all electric motorhome that self drives itself while I take a nap..

:B

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I said, there are exception everywhere.
I had fun driving behind V10 trucks in the past.
For years I drive diesel sedans that make 5-600 miles on tank and with my love for speed, I follow other vehicles that drive 90+ mph.
Few times such vehicle was V10 truck and the problem with them always was that they had to refuel every 1.5- 2 hr.
Then on Ford forum we had replies from Airport Shuttle company, that are using small gasoline buses. Having a fleet they have their own mechanic that keeps the gasoline engines running in the range of million miles.
But when you think about it, having big local fleet, when one bus breaks down, they can transfer passengers to other one within 30 minutes.
Still no matter what recipe you use, you will not change the fact that gasoline engine will not only be underpower in big vehicle, but fuel on long run will run you 20-30% more.
When you spend 6-digits annually on fuel, the 20% can make nice profit.

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
You will find exception everywhere.
I understand that in lot of areas, finding qualified diesel technician is very hard, when dealers are popular call stealers.
Ambulances, tow trucks don't put many miles, so fuel economy is not critical, but on other hand one of the members said he bought diesel 4WD for his tow truck simply because of front weight as on gasoline model he had to add 500 lb weights under front bumper.

I drive a wrecker and I can tell you we put a lot of miles on our units. Our local ambulance all so puts lots of miles on there units, its nothing to see then hundreds of miles away doing transfers to other places.

Our Tow trucks get around 10 to 11 MPG. Our units are diesel, another company has gas units and gets about the same on his V10 units.

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will find exception everywhere.
I understand that in lot of areas, finding qualified diesel technician is very hard, when dealers are popular call stealers.
Ambulances, tow trucks don't put many miles, so fuel economy is not critical, but on other hand one of the members said he bought diesel 4WD for his tow truck simply because of front weight as on gasoline model he had to add 500 lb weights under front bumper.

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Funny part, the diesel option in pickup is >$8000 and nobody buying truck for business even consider gasoline engine.

That fact is not true, I know of several business that buy gas units. These include ambulances, UPS trucks, Tow trucks and many others. Some company's can't justify the cost of Diesel.

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
That is pretty cool! Thanks for posting! I don't think I could ever take something like that on.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

Find the topic where one of the member converted older gas pusher to diesel engine.
Lot of work and expenses, but well worth it for him. .

That would be me! Yes, it was worth to me and I am getting ready to head out on a 7,500 mile loop from the west to the east coast and back. I like my smaller coach (29 ft) but also like the drivability of diesel over gas. So I converted my gas coach to diesel as no one makes a small, rear engined diesel (or gas) coach. I have road in and rented front engined coaches, but after having a rear engined coach for the past 15 years I will never have anything but a rear engined coach irrespective of whether it is gas or diesel.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
2-3 years ago? I think the diesel trucks had the same engines they do now.

The peak in fuel prices was in 2008

http://www.gasbuddy.com/Charts

Ya, and stock hp in my 2008 F350 6.4 diesel was 350, not 200 🙂

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
2-3 years ago? I think the diesel trucks had the same engines they do now.

The peak in fuel prices was in 2008

http://www.gasbuddy.com/Charts