Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas vs Diesel

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, looking for some opinions.

Been out of RVing for several years and looking to get back in the game. I had several travel trailers and fifth wheels over the years but I want a Class A this time. Staying pretty basic and under $70,000.00.
So here is the question, older diesel pusher or new gas burner?
My research indicates I can get a 2006-2008 diesel pusher or a 2011-2013 gas coach in the target price range.
Most of our trips will be towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and in the 5-7 hour range.

Three units under consideration are:
2007 Coachmen Pathfinder - 50,000 miles, Genset has 1900 hrs, tires are DOT dated 2011
2005 Beaver Monterey - 30,000 miles Genset has 600 hours tires are DOT dated 2008 and need to be replaced
2013 Coachmen Mirada - 3000 miles Genset has 115 hours.
All three coaches are priced with between $65k and $68K

Thoughts, comments, suggestions of any kind appreciated.
89 REPLIES 89

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Funny part, the diesel option in pickup is >$8000 and nobody buying truck for business even consider gasoline engine.
Oh I don't know if that is exactly true. Depends on the purpose of the fleet. Many went to the ecoboost gas when Diesel hit $5 a gallon.

That was the time when monster diesel truck could barely have 200hp.
Now when stock diesel pickups come with 360 hp from the factory, everybody wants one.
Find the topic where one of the member converted older gas pusher to diesel engine.
Lot of work and expenses, but well worth it for him.
Will motorhome industry catch with technology, I think we will observe the same trend.
Would diesel motorhome cost $8k more than gasoline counterpart, this topic would never exist.
2-3 years ago? I think the diesel trucks had the same engines they do now.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Funny part, the diesel option in pickup is >$8000 and nobody buying truck for business even consider gasoline engine.
Oh I don't know if that is exactly true. Depends on the purpose of the fleet. Many went to the ecoboost gas when Diesel hit $5 a gallon.

That was the time when monster diesel truck could barely have 200hp.
Now when stock diesel pickups come with 360 hp from the factory, everybody wants one.
Find the topic where one of the member converted older gas pusher to diesel engine.
Lot of work and expenses, but well worth it for him.
Will motorhome industry catch with technology, I think we will observe the same trend.
Would diesel motorhome cost $8k more than gasoline counterpart, this topic would never exist.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
bamaspiveys wrote:
me too!

Hey you started this whole mess :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
This subject is for one thing, to justify a decision. Go cheap and struggle in the driver's seat or go CRAZY expensive and love the driving experience. You will suffer it appears one way or the other! Still funny to read it all.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
me too!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
X4 If I even need to say it by now - Beaver.

I forgot what we even started talking about.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
X4 If I even need to say it by now - Beaver.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Sez Hoo! wrote:

Claims? Well its a fact that you will get that kind of mileage from a Diesel, not just claims.

Why not ask this diesel owner how many miles on his engine in his 2001 coach? Diesel engine replacement

The real FACTS are that no engine is immune from failure for various reasons.

All engines are man made and subject to failure but that diesel engine is the exception not the norm.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sez Hoo! wrote:

Claims? Well its a fact that you will get that kind of mileage from a Diesel, not just claims.

Why not ask this diesel owner how many miles on his engine in his 2001 coach? Diesel engine replacement

The real FACTS are that no engine is immune from failure for various reasons.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sez Hoo! wrote:
timmac wrote:
The Ford V-10 3 valve with Banks Power Pack and 5 Star Tuning can get up to 425 hp and 540 lbs of torque at the crank shaft, on a motorhome that weights under 20,000 lbs it moves right along and can keep up with the diesels in the mountains..

Its not about getting to the top of the mountain first. But where will the gasers be at 200k miles.

I had my Allison Transmission serviced, filters replaced, fluid replaced with synthetic fluid. When I picked it up they said see you in 300,000 miles. You don't see that kind of miles out of a gas engine.
I think most of us will wear out before we put 300,000 miles on the MH.

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Sez Hoo! wrote:
timmac wrote:
The Ford V-10 3 valve with Banks Power Pack and 5 Star Tuning can get up to 425 hp and 540 lbs of torque at the crank shaft, on a motorhome that weights under 20,000 lbs it moves right along and can keep up with the diesels in the mountains..

Its not about getting to the top of the mountain first. But where will the gasers be at 200k miles.

I had my Allison Transmission serviced, filters replaced, fluid replaced with synthetic fluid. When I picked it up they said see you in 300,000 miles. You don't see that kind of miles out of a gas engine.

There is claims of people having 300,000 miles on a V-10 pickup truck and we also have that Toyota truck {gas motor} that got 1 millon miles.

Claims? Well its a fact that you will get that kind of mileage from a Diesel, not just claims. Also when you have to add aftermarket upgrades to get more horsepower out of a gas engine that wasn't designed for that you are going to shorten its life expectancy. Both cases you just sited are light duty pickup trucks, not 20,000 lb RV's
JMHO
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Sez Hoo! wrote:
timmac wrote:

There is claims of people having 300,000 miles on a V-10 pickup truck and we also have that Toyota truck {gas motor} that got 1 millon miles.

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi