Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas vs Diesel

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, looking for some opinions.

Been out of RVing for several years and looking to get back in the game. I had several travel trailers and fifth wheels over the years but I want a Class A this time. Staying pretty basic and under $70,000.00.
So here is the question, older diesel pusher or new gas burner?
My research indicates I can get a 2006-2008 diesel pusher or a 2011-2013 gas coach in the target price range.
Most of our trips will be towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and in the 5-7 hour range.

Three units under consideration are:
2007 Coachmen Pathfinder - 50,000 miles, Genset has 1900 hrs, tires are DOT dated 2011
2005 Beaver Monterey - 30,000 miles Genset has 600 hours tires are DOT dated 2008 and need to be replaced
2013 Coachmen Mirada - 3000 miles Genset has 115 hours.
All three coaches are priced with between $65k and $68K

Thoughts, comments, suggestions of any kind appreciated.
89 REPLIES 89

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Random Question - What is an Alfa RV? Can't find much on them but see several of them out there......

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
So you have no answer for what a Diesel engine in a DP costs to repair from a BUTCHERED oil change in your fictitious world? :B

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If someone has a problem on the road, they pay what that mechanic charges them.

Good you brought this issue.
When you have coach with commercial diesel and trouble on the road, the chain of technicians working for semi industry is well developed and with known prices.
Find a technician who will want to enter motorhome to repair gasoline engine 150 miles from nearest city?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

I am over 90,000 miles on my gasser and do not use any oil. The manufacturer says I should get 250,000 miles from the engine so when can I expect this "predictable" failure? :B

Didn't you answer your own question?
Coming to pricing, I heard about gassers owners who had to spend $3000 after butchered oil change.
I rebuild radiator on Prevost for $2500, so who is giving the ****?

You are reaching. :B So if someone BUTCHERED the oil change on a Diesel, what is the cost?
Do a search for past radiator replacements on this forum. . I could care less what you charge. If someone has a problem on the road, they pay what that mechanic charges them.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
bamaspiveys wrote:
So expanding on this topic a little: We were already leaning heavily toward the diesel path. Yes the difference in quality between the Coachmen Pathfinder and Beaver is clear!

So my question now is about all the diesel maintenance comments. I have had diesel trucks and yea the oil changes are higher, tires are larger so they cost more and Allison transmissions are practically bullet proof but when they do break it is not cheap. What other maintenance areas are you all referring to that I am missing? I keep an "oh ****" repair fund but it sounds like I might need a $20,000 fund for a $70,000 coach! LoL

We have had our coach since we purchased it new in October 2007. I very carefully track our engine/chassis maintenance cost. We have spent $6900 in routine maintenance and have 80,700 miles on the coach. That is paying to have someone else do all of the maintenance. Granted we (knock on wood) have only had to have routine maintenance performed but that works out to just a little under $1000 per year. That does not include tires and batteries cost which I track separately.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:

I am over 90,000 miles on my gasser and do not use any oil. The manufacturer says I should get 250,000 miles from the engine so when can I expect this "predictable" failure? :B

Didn't you answer your own question?
Coming to pricing, I heard about gassers owners who had to spend $3000 after butchered oil change.
I rebuild radiator on Prevost for $2500, so who is giving the ****?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
but bottom line is that with diesel you have to have really bad luck to need major repair, when with gasser it is very predictable.

Now there is a load of ****. Let's see, with your extensive knowledge tell us all exactly when each gasser coach will fail, since it is so predictable. On this forum I have read about DP owners having $5000-$7000 repair costs from something as simple as a corroded radiator. Then there is the cost of an alternator or fuel pump failure. I know, just bad luck I guess.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
bamaspiveys wrote:
So my question now is about all the diesel maintenance comments.

With this thought I'd say you get what you pay for. The power, dependability, fuel milage are worth some thing.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was always unpopular advice, but take a piece of paper, estimate your annual mileage, and calculate annual cost of driving each.
If you plan to drive the coach a lot, even $20,000 repair down the road will be cheaper, but bottom line is that with diesel you have to have really bad luck to need major repair, when with gasser it is very predictable.

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
So expanding on this topic a little: We were already leaning heavily toward the diesel path. Yes the difference in quality between the Coachmen Pathfinder and Beaver is clear!

So my question now is about all the diesel maintenance comments. I have had diesel trucks and yea the oil changes are higher, tires are larger so they cost more and Allison transmissions are practically bullet proof but when they do break it is not cheap. What other maintenance areas are you all referring to that I am missing? I keep an "oh ****" repair fund but it sounds like I might need a $20,000 fund for a $70,000 coach! LoL

Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a diesel, be sure you have deep enough pockets to deal with diesel problems. They may not occur often, but when they do they are $$$$$$$.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
In the long run gas will be cheaper to maintain.

Ah, No. Based on the typical million miles the diesel can run.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
There is other gas brands out there with better quality than the Coachmen for about the same price, Fleetwood would be a great start.

In the long run gas will be cheaper to maintain.

FloridaKash
Explorer
Explorer
I have a gasser, I would prefer a diesel but it was out of budget for the type of florrplan we were looking for.

+ of Diesel
Better MPG
Quieter when driving
More Cargo room
Possibly Better Ride
Onboard Air (you'd be surprised how inconvenient getting air in your tires can be)
Much Larger Towing Capacity (larger selection of tow cars to pick from)

- of Diesel
Maintenance Costs - Glow Plug, Oil Changes, Etc.
Cost of unit
Family of 5 full timing
2008 Bounder 38p - WH Chassis
Stehl Tow Dolly
2005 Honda Accord

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
if all else is equal, I prefer diesel for these reasons:

1 - fueling at the truck pumps makes life so much easier when traveling in an unfamiliar area which we normally are.
2 - normally better braking setup
3 - generator is normally away from the bedroom sleeping area (quieter while parked)
4 - engine is normally away from where the driver and passenger(s) are riding (quieter while driving)
5 - typically more cargo carrying capacity.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited