cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

generator or electrical problem

gmay
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2009 Winnebago Adventurer with Onan generator. The generator will start and within 20 seconds the electrical power will kick in from the generator. The electrical power will stay on about 2 seconds, then there is total loss of electrical but the generator remains running. This happens each time that the generator is started.
Does anyone have information that could help with a diagnosis?
3 REPLIES 3

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To diagnose you need one of two things,

A test lamp, or a volt meter

here is what I;d do..

I would buld a test lamp.. You can get a rubber lamp socket with leads at most any hardware or electrical store including Lowes and Home Depot.

Put a lamp in it, small say 15 watt

Now find your automatic transfer switch, Depending on your RV (30 or 50 amp) it will have wires inside labeled Generator L-1 L-2 and Neutral (Ignore grounds)

connect between a the Generator Neutral and either L-1 or L-2.

Start the genny, light should, quickly.

When the switch transfers light should remain lit

When power cuts out the light will be diagnostic

ON- it's the transfer switch
Off. the generator.

Shut the genny off as that's as far as this post goes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
If its not your transfer switch, then I would suspect the voltage regulator in the gen.
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming your coach has an automatic transfer system, the 20 delay is common, but the drop out is not and the problem is probably in the transfer. If you are not competent with electrics, best to find someone that is...

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.