cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS and travel along East Coast

RVJourney101
Explorer
Explorer
What have you found to be helpful as far as GPS for RV travel? traveling in a 32 foot motorhome towing a car. Interested in travel advice and routing from Florida to Acadia National Park.
22 REPLIES 22

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
In case it hasn't been said elsewhere: Whatever you forget to pack can be bought along the way. The most critical items are specific spares for the coach (fuel filter, replacement serpentine belt) prescription meds, especially any sched 1 pain killers, items you just cannot live without - in our case a couple of stuffed animals that decorate the bed.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

RVJourney101
Explorer
Explorer
We really appreciate the helpful information! keep it coming! Hope everyone is enjoying their adventures. We can't wait to get started! But in the meantime we are going over checklists and trying to anticipate what we need to pack.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I use a gps app on my tablet and smartphone called Co-pilot. Been using it for years and it hasn't failed me. Like using the tablet as it has a large screen that easy viewing going down the road. It has a RV setting that you can use and set the height of you RV up to 13'.

Co-Pilot

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Does the premium 'CAR' version ($14.99 for US and Canada)have the RV option on it, or must you get the Truck version for that feature?

As far as OP's route is concerned, I would take I95 to Fredericksburg,VA, US17/I66 to I81, to I84 in Scranton,Pa to I95 to Maine. Longer, but scenic and a lot less traffic than I95 around Washington and Baltimore. Also, completely eliminates New York City.

Howdy!

Ron, yes that version does have the RV setting you can use to set the height of your RV up to 13'. I used it for years until we purchased our latest 5er. The new 5er is 13'6" so I purchased the Truck version.

"Happy Trails"

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We go to Acadia just about every year from Fl. Here's the general route we take, sometimes we deviate if we are going to visit people/places on the way.
From Tampa:
I-75 to SH326 east
SH326 to 301 north
301 to Callahan taking SH200 to I-95N
I-95North to I-26West in SC
I-26West to Columbia, SC and I-77North
I-77N to I-81 to Scranton PA ,then I-84 East.
I-84East to I-90East- Mass. Turnpike
I-90East to I-495North
I-495N to I-95N to Bangor then follow US1 to Acadia
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
DW was driving last year on the way to Minnesota and we decided to change drivers. Figured the easiest way was pull off on an exit, change drivers from on the ramp shoulder and right back on. Every thing was fine until I got to the cross street and there was no ramp on the other side to get back on the interstate. Interesting detour but we found our way back on. Jim.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I think what is meant by 'surface streets', are city streets. Off ramps that take you to 'downtown USA', for example should be avoided, unless you want to try your hand at city driving.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

RVJourney101
Explorer
Explorer
Please clarify what you mean by avoiding off ramps onto surface streets. Thanks.

RVJourney101
Explorer
Explorer
A combination of old school paper maps, road atlas and GPS will definitely be used to navigate this trip and with luck not experience any mishaps.

RVJourney101
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the helpful info about Co-Pilot app. We'll try it out on our Smartphone and/or tablet. The travel info is also very much appreciated. The reminder about toll roads is good to keep in mind. We had forgotten about the expensive tolls that we paid around the Chicago area several years ago.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Effy wrote:
add - Chesapeake Bay tunnel, and the one going into VA beach.
Actually there are five underwater tunnels around the Va Beach area. No propane restrictions and detours down here as in Baltimore but inspection stops and main tank valve shut off verification prior to entry to the bridge/tunnel.

Concerning the Co-Pilot app, I have the free car version that I can switch to RV which provides over height restrictions avoidance. Verified the detour using a very low railroad bridge in North Carolina that takes out trucks and RVs on a daily bases. Same with toll roads and such. My only cost was an in app one year subscription purchase for traffic information.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I use a gps app on my tablet and smartphone called Co-pilot. Been using it for years and it hasn't failed me. Like using the tablet as it has a large screen that easy viewing going down the road. It has a RV setting that you can use and set the height of you RV up to 13'.

Co-Pilot

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Does the premium 'CAR' version ($14.99 for US and Canada)have the RV option on it, or must you get the Truck version for that feature?

As far as OP's route is concerned, I would take I95 to Fredericksburg,VA, US17/I66 to I81, to I84 in Scranton,Pa to I95 to Maine. Longer, but scenic and a lot less traffic than I95 around Washington and Baltimore. Also, completely eliminates New York City.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
CT_WANDERER wrote:
You have two tunnels with restrictions for propane on the east coast that I know of. One is in Baltimore and the other is at Boston. Plan you trips to avoid them. Also as the other poster said stay away from NY City and there bridges. I go to the Tappanzee Bridge much better traveling.

Adding
You don't even want to think about taking a RV into Boston. A lot of the old New England city have very narrow street.

add - Chesapeake Bay tunnel, and the one going into VA beach.
2013 ACE 29.2

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Stay away from the big cities and get on secondary highways. You'll see a lot more of the country.

+1
Still working on our route that way for this year, got as far as Delaware Water Gap.
For doing interstates all you need is a paper map, nothing high tech.

If you go the GPS or cell phone or tablet route practice over known routes because they will all get you in trouble at times. They are only as good as the data base they access.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am also a Co-Pilot user installed on a 7" Samsung tablet. Several hundred $$ less than a large display GPS. Does not need internet service for the maps to function with a complete USA map held in memory. Very helpful when you are way out in the sticks with no or limited service. Good routing with multiple avoidance options. Has taken me from south eastern Virginia north to New York state and back home last summer avoiding all the toll roads and various other restrictions. Also took us all around Virginia last summer and a Thanksgiving trip to the Florida pan handle.

I did buy the traffic avoidance option that does require internet to function and I use my phone as a mobile hot spot for such. As a side benefit using the tablet I have various music files and pod casts in memory to listen while on the road or at the CG via blue tooth connection to the dash radio. When at the CG the tablet becomes by normal internet access device via the phone hot spot (if I have service) and I pretty much don't touch my phone until the trip is over.

As far as travel advice goes I've done US17 from Charleston SC to home avoiding I95. Only add a few hours over the summer traffic. North of Norfolk VA area US13 is a great drive. You problems area is going to be I95 at Washington DC and points further north. Very heavy traffic with restrictions in Baltimore and high tolls along the way into New Jersey and New York. I81 is a good alternate route to take you into central New York. Just watch for the toll roads up north. Considering you'll have four axles rolling 10 tires the tolls can be a bit shocking.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53