cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gun laws in New York

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Lake George next month. Ive been doing some research on New York gun laws and have determined that I can not carry my pistol in my motor home. It looks like when Im moving Im OK, but when parked Im in violation. Am I right? It also looks like Im ok with a shotgun. Any comments?
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar
51 REPLIES 51

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
hanko wrote:

Thats what Im going to Bump. This post has gotten out of hand. Executive is right, Ive been on this site for 4 years, and the same people always want to argue and hijack post.

New York has some specific laws about carrying a shotgun as to where it is carried, how it is carried, and in regards to ammo carry for the shotgun. I'm sure with more research you will find your answer. After four years I think you would know that firearm questions are frowned on at this forum. :B

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
accsys wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
hanko wrote:
well heres the problem. All cops in all states have the ability to run plate numbers. Mine would show that I have a carry permit from Michigan. Would that give them the right to stop me a do a search. Is that probable cause?

Are you sure???
Florida laws keep my carry permit status unobtainable except for a specific instance when it is required by law. In other words, any police running a standard license check will not find out about my carry permit. Michigan may be different but you should check with what their laws are about the confidentiality of carry permit holders.

Are you sure?? The Canadian Border Patrol knew I had a Florida CCP when they ran my plates entering the Yukon from Alaska inside passage. When we were waiting in line, one officer came down the line getting plate numbers and the first question asked when we got to the head of the line was "do you have a concealed carry permit?"

Why did he ask if he knew you had one? Could it be he just saw the Florida plates and figured you may have one?

He asked to see how truthful I would be which is a standard border patrol practice. Once I answered yes, he asked if I had any guns with me and I told him we knew we couldn't bring them in and had left them at home. He then sent us on our way. If I had lied and answered no to the CCP question, our coach would have been torn apart looking for guns.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
kalsbeek wrote:
Amazing that Americans need to have a gun to leave the front door of their home no matter where they go.

Amazing that subjects of some foreign countries need to have a gun to leave the front door of their home no matter where they go.

Citizens (vs subjects) in America have the right to defend themselves against the bad guys that are present in every country.

At least for now. We'll see how that goes in a couple of months.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
And to show that running your plate or your drivers license isn't the only way they know you have guns on board here is my Back window to my truck.

I drive it all the time with and without my trailer
Never once have I been stopped or in the words of some people targeted

As for not leaving the home without a gun. Yeah doesn't happen much in my house hold but in this day and age with all these crazy people all medicated and allowed to roam free why wouldn't you carry one.
I prefer to provide my own safety for my family and friends when we are together.
Why would I want to wait for someone to answer a phone and then dispatch someone who is minutes away.
Don't get me wrong I stand with our Police force
But I would rather be there to stop a threat than turn tail and run while praying nothing happens to my family. Someone else can dail the phone.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
doesn't it make more sense to carry a 12 gauge in a RV and avoid lots of issues?
bumpy

Carrying a LOADED shotgun is not legal in every state and pistol grip shotguns are illegal in some states.
There are issues that change in every state and issues that change within a state depending if you are hooked up to shore power as opposed to being on the road.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
doesn't it make more sense to carry a 12 gauge in a RV and avoid lots of issues?
bumpy

Thats what Im going to Bump. This post has gotten out of hand. Executive is right, Ive been on this site for 4 years, and the same people always want to argue and hijack post.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
kalsbeek wrote:
Amazing that Americans need to have a gun to leave the front door of their home no matter where they go.

Yes, Americans have FREEDOMS that our Constitution gives us when we used our guns to get away from the tyrannical England.
We don't always need to have guns, but we have the freedom to have them if we want to.

kalsbeek
Explorer
Explorer
The Kalsbeeks
2008 Bounder Diesel
325 Cummins.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Talk about stoking the flames of paranoia ^ ^ wow

Again your passing through and your not not acting a fool then no worries.

I can tell you the police aren't out to just arrest everyone.
They are there to protect and serve....

If by some chance there is an encounter, you your most useful skill you have

TALK. Use the verbal skills

Officers like to talk, officers like to know what's going on.

But over all they just want to go home without an incident.
And if an incident arises they like to handle it as civically as possible.

Just relax and do as you always have.

And I can tell you if you encounter one and your from out of town and don't know every law on the books for their city/ town/county they will be glad to help and help you get out of their town/ city/ county and state as fast as they can.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to make sure of too, like I mentioned above, is even though it may be legal to carry your firearm into another state while locked up per Federal law, that Federal law doesn't supersede State laws on the type of guns allowed. For example your AR-15 may be perfectly legal to carry around in most states, but cross the state line with it in some states and it's a felony. Same with high capacity magazines, and silencers.

Here is one more thing to be paranoid about, some states have mandatory sentencing laws for illegal carry of a firearm. I think New York is one of those and I don't know all the others. So if you take your chances and carry into New York in violation of their laws, and get caught with that weapon you may find yourself doing six months in jail regardless of the circumstances. For example, what happens if you get in an accident and are injured and the weapon is found while the emergency workers are cleaning up the mess? What if your RV catches fire and it's located that way? What if a situation arises and you have to display or use it? Just something to keep in mind if you chose to ignore the laws.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Different States have different laws. In some States, if you have a carry permit and have a weapon, YOU ARE REQUIRED to let the officer know as soon as you make contact, period. This is not whether or not you feel like telling him. If you don't tell him you just broke the law, plain and simple.
In other States, you do not have to let the officer know about your carry permit.
In the State of Florida, I DO NOT have to let the officer know, unless he asks. To me, common courtesy would be to tell the officer as soon as I make contact.
At the side of the road with a broken serpentine belt in Iowa an officer stopped and asked if I needed any assistance. I told him that I was armed, had a carry permit, and that I would appreciate if he just stayed behind me with his lights flashing while I changed the belt. No big deal and I was on my way in 20 minutes.
Get a book and learn the laws in States where you travel. The laws change almost yearly and to be safe, you need to keep up to date on what the current laws are in each State that you travel in.
It is also a good idea to always keep your license and insurance info within easy reach if you are carrying so that you DO NOT have to fumble around for it if stopped. This is sort of common sense since an officer standing beside your coach CANNOT see what you are doing.
Also in some States, carrying a weapon in your vehicle is LEGAL by anyone if it can be seen from the outside. Make sure that in your RV, the weapon is visible in those States, UNLESS you have a concealed carry permit.
Basically it all boils down to knowing the law in each state.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Really all you saying the police will find an excuse to stop you just to see if your carrying.

REALLY COME ON

Yes most states when you run a plate it shows if the REGISTERED owner has a carry permit.
Some states even go as far as listing the guns you have registered to you.

If you are a law abiding citizen and no driving like a jerk there is no reason to run your plate, which leads to no interaction.

If stopped just be yourself, be respectful. If you feel the need to mention you have a permit AND are carrying keep your hands visible and inform the officer where the gun is located and where your wallet is or how ever you carry your IDs. Then ask how the OFFICER would like you to proceed to get the info for him/her.

There's nothing hard about it and no reason to make it hard.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a point of fact, if you do travel with firearms, there are companies that provide legal services to cover all of your legal fees, both criminal and civil, if you have to use your weapon while on the road or at home. Mine also covers me if my weapon is accidentally seen in a place where concealed carry is legal. This is sort of a Emergency Road Service for people that carry. Mine is only about $100/year and has no maximum limit on legal fees and covers me wherever I travel.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
accsys wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
hanko wrote:
well heres the problem. All cops in all states have the ability to run plate numbers. Mine would show that I have a carry permit from Michigan. Would that give them the right to stop me a do a search. Is that probable cause?

Are you sure???
Florida laws keep my carry permit status unobtainable except for a specific instance when it is required by law. In other words, any police running a standard license check will not find out about my carry permit. Michigan may be different but you should check with what their laws are about the confidentiality of carry permit holders.

Are you sure?? The Canadian Border Patrol knew I had a Florida CCP when they ran my plates entering the Yukon from Alaska inside passage. When we were waiting in line, one officer came down the line getting plate numbers and the first question asked when we got to the head of the line was "do you have a concealed carry permit?"

Why did he ask if he knew you had one? Could it be he just saw the Florida plates and figured you may have one?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4