cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gun laws in New York

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Lake George next month. Ive been doing some research on New York gun laws and have determined that I can not carry my pistol in my motor home. It looks like when Im moving Im OK, but when parked Im in violation. Am I right? It also looks like Im ok with a shotgun. Any comments?
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar
51 REPLIES 51

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
hanko wrote:
well heres the problem. All cops in all states have the ability to run plate numbers. Mine would show that I have a carry permit from Michigan. Would that give them the right to stop me a do a search. Is that probable cause?

Are you sure???
Florida laws keep my carry permit status unobtainable except for a specific instance when it is required by law. In other words, any police running a standard license check will not find out about my carry permit. Michigan may be different but you should check with what their laws are about the confidentiality of carry permit holders.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too suggest you get either a book or phone app that describes the laws per state. For the most part if you are traveling between two places and your gun is legal in both locations, then you are safe to take it with you if you follow federal guidelines for its transportation.

If you have a cwp, don't be surprised if you are stopped for some other offense that they ask you about carrying after checking their computers.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
well heres the problem. All cops in all states have the ability to run plate numbers. Mine would show that I have a carry permit from Michigan. Would that give them the right to stop me a do a search. Is that probable cause?
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The federal gun laws do allow you to transport a hand gun through any state, unloaded and in a lock box. But NY, being what it is, renders "through" void when you stop, even for lunch.
Long guns must be unloaded and in a commercial gun case.
The possession of any fire arm in New York City with out a New York City licence is strictly prohibited. But individuals transporting standard rifles and shot guns through the city may do so for a period of 24 hours after entering the city, if the weapons are unloaded and locked in a case.
I do recommend Travelers Guide to Fire Arm Laws of the 50 States $14.95, if you intend to provide for your own safety. You may still travel with a fire extinguisher, tool box and band aids, for those "just in case moments". :B

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't tell anyone it's there, keep it out of sight, and no one will have any reason to know...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
hanko wrote:
Planning a trip to Lake George next month. Ive been doing some research on New York gun laws and have determined that I can not carry my pistol in my motor home. It looks like when Im moving Im OK, but when parked Im in violation. Am I right? It also looks like Im ok with a shotgun. Any comments?

Yep, that is right according to NY State law and everyone always obeys the law. :B
When visiting relatives in Western NY, I always insure that my guns are well hidden when we travel to my DW brother's house, who is an ex-NY State Trooper. Everyone of her relatives, in and around the Buffalo area, all have carry permits because they are issued by the local sheriffs. They are also hunters.
It is in Eastern NY where it becomes a real problem with the way they enforce gun laws against outsider law abiding citizens of the USA.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You are right.

Those that recognize Michigan issued permits are:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Mississippi
Missouri
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont (does not require carry permits by residents or non residents)
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Again, anyone traveling in one of these states needs to check their laws, which in many instances are available on that state's website.

Those states who do not recognize non resident permits are:

California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
Where we are now