cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Half of 120 volt buss is dead

PmsPks
Explorer
Explorer
I have lost the power to half of the 120 volt power buss. I have checked the main 50 amp breaker and it is good. Both L1 and L2 incoming are hot. Half the breakers are hot, the other half of the breakers are not. I can usually figure these things out, but this one has me baffled. Appreciate any ideas.
Paul & Pam
2007 Damon Tuscany 4076
2007 Jeep Wrangler
24 REPLIES 24

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
PmsPks wrote:
lanerd wrote:
I would first check the transfer switch output lugs to make sure you have 120 on both L1 and L2.

I have checked the voltage on both L1 and L2 wires coming into the 50 amp breakers and they are both 120v.
There should only be one 50 amp main in your rig. Check the voltage coming into that breaker, and check the voltage coming out. If there is power entering into the breaker and none coming out, the breaker is tripped or bad, end of story. If there is not power coming into the breaker on both legs, most likely issues are either a bad leg on the shore power (but you checked that) a bad wire in your cord (but you checked the power entering the transfer switch) or a bad relay in the transfer switch (my vote). I have "fixed" several customers problems by loaning them a rubber hammer and showing them where to tap (on the transfer switch itself). A transfer switch is nothing more than an electromagnetic switch that swings a lug when power is present. The lug can get stuck, for lack of a technical term. The generator's output does not go thru the transfer switch, so you would have full power on generator, while only half if the problem is the transfer switch or any of the other issues upstream to and including the pedestal.

PmsPks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I haven't made it back to the MH to continue my testing. I will report back on what I find.
Paul & Pam
2007 Damon Tuscany 4076
2007 Jeep Wrangler

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it has been asked but do you have 240 volts across the input to the 50 amp breakers in the coach.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
PmsPks wrote:
lanerd wrote:
I would first check the transfer switch output lugs to make sure you have 120 on both L1 and L2.

I have checked the voltage on both L1 and L2 wires coming into the 50 amp breakers and they are both 120v.

Sorry, you didn't read my question correctly. I asked if you have 120 on both "output" lugs (terminals)....not the input. And for further info, I'm speaking of the "relay" inside the transfer switch...not the breaker box.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you have lost 1/2 of the panel, or just some major breakers. If you have power to both sides of the buss in the panel after the 50A breaker, then it should be relatively easy to start tracing it down the bus to each breaker.

Neutrals? Perhaps you lost a batch on the neutral bus?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an inverter check the the reset buttons on the inverter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people think that dual 50 amp breaker .. .if one trips. both trip.

NOT TRUE. it is not a dual breaker, it is two breakers, both in the same case, with a piece joining the handles.

But each breaker is independent of the other.

One can trip and the other remain "Set"..

Turn them off, press HARD to the off position and then restore (Turn back on) them. See if that works.. Following that is replacement of said dual breaker.

Also... Have seen this in campgrounds. never in an RV. but make sure they are fully SEATED (Push back/in on the top of the breaker)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a VOLTAGE CHART showing what BUD is suggesting to look at... As with all high AC Voltages use extreme care with the meter probes when making voltage measurements.

50A SERVICE at the Pedestal

NO SHOCK ZONE image

This is a simplified pictorial for the 50A Dual Zone Distribution layout...

Google Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bruce_Brown
RoyB wrote:
Be sure to double check all of your GFCI breakers.. Do a reset on them...

When we lost 1/2 of the circuits in our MH this was the reason. We replaced the GFI and regained everything.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have 240 volts between L1 and L2?
You could be reading backfeed if 240 is not present.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
When you reverse the legs does the problem remain the same--or does it swap sides?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PmsPks
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
You say you checked both L1 and L2 on the main 50 amp breaker and have 120 vac incoming on both. But did you check the load side of the main 50 amp breaker to make sure you have 120 vac coming out of the breaker to the distribution panel. Main breaker could have a bad leg.

I have replaced the 50amp main breaker(s), still have the same problem. This problem just doesn't make sense. I guess it is time to take one thing at a time from plug to buss.
Paul & Pam
2007 Damon Tuscany 4076
2007 Jeep Wrangler

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Do both of your ACs work? If so, check your inverter breakers and make sure none are tripped.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
PmsPks wrote:
I have lost the power to half of the 120 volt power buss. I have checked the main 50 amp breaker and it is good. Both L1 and L2 incoming are hot. Half the breakers are hot, the other half of the breakers are not. I can usually figure these things out, but this one has me baffled. Appreciate any ideas.

Unplug your main electrical cord coming from the shore power to your RV and then make sure you have it fully and securely plugged in.