cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hankook comparable to Michelin

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I will be needing new tires in a few months. I would like to consider Hankooks, as an alternative to my current Michelin XRVs I have hit a snag. My current tires are 235/80R-22.5. I have done searches and been told that Hankook does not make a comparable tire.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?
25 REPLIES 25

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced the front Badyear tires with Continentals. Much better ride. The rear Badyears that aren't yet showing the River Edge tire defect wear will be replaced soon.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

teamfossil
Explorer
Explorer
My XRV's came from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I have Michelins on my motorcycle, they where made in Thailand. Michelin ,like all tire manufacturers make tires all over the world. In '08 I picked up a huge nail and had to replace my XRV. The only one I could find (in Boston, Mass.) was made in 2003! The ones I put on the MH in '06 where 14 months old. I'm sorry, but if I have a choice between a 2 to 5! year old tire, I'll take the fresh "truck" tire every time.
'00 Winnebago 37G Adventurer
'03 Suzuki V-Strom "Vroomhilda"
'86 Gold Wing SE small i
'05 Interstate enclosed trailer "MY garage!

Qoute from two great Americans, Jackie Gleason and George Thorogood:
"And awaaay we go!"

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 245/75R22.5 is a direct swap for Michelin's weird 235/80. A 255/70 or 275/70 might need new wheels!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:
You can't compare a Hankook AH-12 tire to a Michelin XRV! Two way different tires! AH-12 is a hard rubber truck tire. Michelin XRV is a very soft rubber tire totally designed for motorhomes and RVing due to all the sitting a RV does. Also the XRV has UV protection and stronger sidewall protection to offset curbing. I paid $378.00 per Michelin XRV tire last year thru the FMCA, Fleet Tire program. If you or anyone else are price sensitive and want a cheaper tire then don't consider Michelins. Michelin is a French Company, that has U.S Factories that make the XRV in the U.S.A. Michelin does not import there tires from China to the U.S.A. Union Contracts in the U.S.A. do not allow that! Michelin, however in agreements with the unions (U.S.A. & Canada) allows Michelin Canada to supply tires when there is a shortage in the U.S.A. Good Luck with the tires that you choose to put on your coach!

Some of this info is a bit misleading such as the hard vs. soft. And yes Michelin does advertise a special additive for RV use...effective or not is an open question. Same with comparing stronger sidewalls...true, untrue, or hype?? Also not sure what the China reference has to do with the comparison unless that also refers to Korea and Taiwan (technically China I guess)

Still, it is fair to compare the two tires as the both serve the same purpose.

Just my opinion of course.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
You can't compare a Hankook AH-12 tire to a Michelin XRV! Two way different tires! AH-12 is a hard rubber truck tire. Michelin XRV is a very soft rubber tire totally designed for motorhomes and RVing due to all the sitting a RV does. Also the XRV has UV protection and stronger sidewall protection to offset curbing. I paid $378.00 per Michelin XRV tire last year thru the FMCA, Fleet Tire program. If you or anyone else are price sensitive and want a cheaper tire then don't consider Michelins. Michelin is a French Company, that has U.S Factories that make the XRV in the U.S.A. Michelin does not import there tires from China to the U.S.A. Union Contracts in the U.S.A. do not allow that! Michelin, however in agreements with the unions (U.S.A. & Canada) allows Michelin Canada to supply tires when there is a shortage in the U.S.A. Good Luck with the tires that you choose to put on your coach!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've replaced 2 Badyear tires on the current rig. 3 Badyear tires on the last rig had the same problem which is River Wear. This is a known tire defect and Badyear has a picture of the defect for the dealers. They would not warranty the tire. Also off topic.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Norm___Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Put Hankook on my 96 impala. Only one tire need half an ounce of weight. All others needed no weight. All tires were very "true". Smoothest tires I have bought in 50 years. I highly recommend them for a passenger car.

Have Michelins on the RV. Like them but will replace with Hankook when time comes.

Anyone considering Goodyear (junk, had 3 blowouts in 8 years) should Google, Goodyear Florida Lawsuit and ask yourself if ya want to spend any money with these people.

Sorry about getting off topic a little.
Norm

2001 Monaco Knight 38' DP Triple Slide
2001 4WD Blazer in back

"Everything I will ever tell you will be 100% the truth, or would be 100% the truth if it actually happened."

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook tires seem to have a good reputation, the 275/70R22.5 is an excellent size to replace the 235/80's. Less than 1% speedo error.
Specs for the AH-12 indicate the optimum rim size is 8.25 inch, my Accuride rims are 7.5 inch width.
Don't know if this is a big factor, both Michelin and Goodyear indicate approved rim size as a range "7.5 to 8.25". Firestone in a 275/70 also calls for a 8.25 inch rim...
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went with Hankooks and no regrets. In fact, I have yet to see a negative comment for MH use.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love Hankook. Comparable to Michilen, quality wise, they are just a bit under. Price wise, they are way under.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
timmac wrote:
I just put all 6 new Hankooks {19.5} on my RV and the drive is smooth, no reason to pay twice the price for American name tires that are probably made in China anyways..

Michelin is German. LOL

Our local farm supply store uses Hankook a lot. Seem like a good tire. Korean I believe.

Does Michelin know that?
They think they are at;

27 Cours de l'Ile Seguin
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt
FRANCE
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
I just put all 6 new Hankooks {19.5} on my RV and the drive is smooth, no reason to pay twice the price for American name tires that are probably made in China anyways..

Second that we saved $1500 out the door over Michelin.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:

Michelin is German. LOL

Sorry, Michelin is a French tire company.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Going on year 3 with 8 Hankooks on my coach. Still looking like new. Liked the brand so much a put a set on my car and love those too. Both my parents spent their entire careers working at Goodyear and I was always a Goodyear guy, but no more.......
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King