cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat pump or propane

dtrink
Explorer
Explorer
The rear A/C unit on our 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager gave up the ghost. Here is my question. We go to Florida for four months (Jan-Apr). We have to pay our own electric (15 cents/KWh). I wonder if I would be better off getting a new A/C unit with a heat pump (which is in the bedroom area, but is ducted)or continue to use the old style propane furnace to take the chill out of the air. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dtrink wrote:
The rear A/C unit on our 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager gave up the ghost. Here is my question. We go to Florida for four months (Jan-Apr). We have to pay our own electric (15 cents/KWh). I wonder if I would be better off getting a new A/C unit with a heat pump (which is in the bedroom area, but is ducted)or continue to use the old style propane furnace to take the chill out of the air. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

I'd be finding myself another place to stay and hopefully further south, if no ties to the area.
We never even had heat in our home for a number of years after moving here and with the heat strip in our ac handler now, it's doubtful if it comes on in the middle of the night, more than a few time a year.
As for your question, I'd probably get the heat pump, as we have and have used it when up north in the off summer months and even out west, during summer. Least ways, you'll have a backup if one or the other should quit. We use space heaters for the most part, when needed and not like you're always paying extra for electric.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
the roof AC heat pumps are without a doubt the most efficient and the most cost efficient way to heat a motor home;; the limitations are 1) only good down to the 32 -34 degree area 2) generally noisy compared to AHD or LPG forced air systems

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Heat pumps are 3-4 times more efficient than heat strips down to 40 degrees... but are still 2X better down to below freezing. Yes, my 13 year old units will keep working down to 32 degrees. You do not need heat in the basements until it gets below 28 for several hours...rarely if you are staying below Orlando.

Propane heartens in RVs are 75% efficient at best so no way it can compete with a heat pump even if propane was $1 delivered.

^^^^^ THIS IS THE ANSWER ^^^^^

Heat pumps are 3-4 times more efficient than heat strips - OR - if electric heat stips are a one to one (.15 will produce .15 units of heat) then a heat pump will only cost you .04-.05 cents per unit of heat.

Really simple - cost a lot less to use a heat pump.

TRUE.

edit - When it's cold outside a heat pump extracts this outside heat and transfers it inside. When it's warm outside, it reverses directions and acts like an air conditioner, removing heat from your home. One advantage of a heat pump is that it moves heat instead of generating heat, giving you more energy efficiency.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
With three ducted heat pumps, I run the front one at night (close vents in front) so no noise and reverse during the day. My AquaHot is under the bathroom so that floor stays warm. Putting shoes on is cheaper than heating the basement areas that do not have much insulation.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
My preference is to use space heater. I have heat pumps but they are loud with heat blowing down. You can isolate the space heater to where you need it. If there is one of those rare cold spells the propane is so much quieter. We have electric fireplace which is a not portable space heater and it works well.

dtrink
Explorer
Explorer
We stay in Leesburg (just south of Villages). Last year we spent 2 weeks in Daytona and a month in Leesburg. My propane was full when we left home. I Leesburg I had the propane topped off on site for $40.55 (can't remember rate) and the electric for the month we stayed was $42.60. I was using propane for hot water (I have since fixed electric hot water). Now last winter was warm, so I don't know what to expect this coming winter. I tried to be as frugal with both electric and propane as I could, but if it is cold I'm not going to freeze to save. I just wonder; if I change out the A/C unit should I go ahead and spend the extra for a heat pump too? Thanks for any more recommendations.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
get the heat pump - nothing wrong with several options. I heat with heat pumps during the day, and LP at night because my heat pumps are kind of noisy (Mach 8). They aren't that much more money, but you would have to update the thermostat.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Heat pumps are 3-4 times more efficient than heat strips down to 40 degrees... but are still 2X better down to below freezing.
Propane heartens in RVs are 75% efficient at best so no way it can compete with a heat pump even if propane was $1 delivered.

CONCUR ! But you need some type of propane heat when it drops below freezing !

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth here's my take on this and what/why we'll be using propane for heating this winter, and we're in the Lakeland Fl. area. I have an extend a stay T installed and will be setting a 100lb. tank beside the coach for heating during the 4 months we'll be there, why? Because the furnace also heats the basement which in turn heats the floor leaving it a lot warmer to walk on in sock feet. Also the furnace is a lot quieter then the heat pump units.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Spend their inheritance and run the furnace. If Your old and cold be comfortable
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have heat pumps but the furnaces kick in automatically first, until the temp is us to thermostat setting then the heat pumps kick in. That way you have warm floors and entire coach quickly.
That's on electric heat setting.
But many times we have wakened up with chill in the air and the heat pump up front frozen over apparently and always cold floors. Hopefully we have the switching problem resolved.
When we go to bed if it is real cold furnaces are selected and we have toasty warm floors. Sometimes from front register it felt like you could fry bacon. ha a hole under shower letting lots of air in going down road.
In Florida Disney World Feb 2010, it was freezing and maybe below we felt more comfortable with the furnaces. Up during the day the hat pumps were plenty but switched automatically to furnaces some time during the nights.
Those little heaters, we carry two and they work but don't spread throughout the
Whole coach and the floors are still cold.
We get another Mh it will have basement heat pumps, and furnaces and heated floors.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We use the heat pump till the forcast is below 35degrees. We only have one AC in the living room but it's ducted. We're ordering a new 5er with two ACs but only getting heat pump on the living area. Seems like the BR is always warmer anyway.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heat pumps are 3-4 times more efficient than heat strips down to 40 degrees... but are still 2X better down to below freezing. Yes, my 13 year old units will keep working down to 32 degrees. You do not need heat in the basements until it gets below 28 for several hours...rarely if you are staying below Orlando.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not able to do the calculations of Propane v/s Electricity cost because I do not have all the factors.. But others have done 'em and if you search on that phrase you should find the formulas.

One thing to consider.. If your RV has heated basement (Wet bay) the heat pump will NOT heat it.> This may make a difference.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times