cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with entry level diesel pushers

DriverMan
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at a new Forest River Berkshire and Winnebago Forza. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the two companies. Do they have a good reputation for warranted work and being good to their customers? And is there a reason to s select one company over the other.

I'd also like your thoughts on the Berkshire and Forza coaches? I know the Berkshire has the better raised rail chassis. But are they both dependable and have good owner reputations?

Thank you
37 REPLIES 37

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
DriverMan wrote:
My thanks to all of you for your comments.

It looks to me the roof problem with Winnebago is a serious one. Such a problem could literally destroy your motorhome. An that its most likely out of warranty by that time could be financially catastrophic, or am I overstating things?

You mentioned the seal, is this something you can reasonable check on your own? And if so is it something you can fix on your own?

How often should something like this be checked, every 5 years, 10 years, what? Can I assume this is all Winnebago's and not just the entry level Forza?

Is the a deal breaker? I can't think of many things worse than a faulty roof! I can understand slide problems etc, but a roof, Not Good!

I did a Google search for "trouble with Winnebago roofs" and was surprised to find very little on the subject! Has Winnebago commented on it anywhere and what their doing about it?

Mile High gave a great explanation and illustration of the issue. Maintenance/inspection is required every 6 months I believe. The Itasca (Winnie twin) we owned was built before they went to this terrible design. For me it would be a deal breaker.

As for the repair, well...do you know anyone other than the factory that can change that roof? I sure don't. As to cost, I disagree with Mile High on that one. I currently have a 35' 5th wheel in my garage - I'm helping a friend replace his rubber roof. It's basically done, he has roughly $800 in materials. He went with the Alpha system, it's pretty nice. A few years back I put an EPDM rubber roof on our TT, I had about $300 in that job. Any shop can do a "rubber" roof, I don't know of one that could do a full fiberglass roof replacement - other than the factory.

I'm not saying "rubber" is better, I AM saying some fiberglass just isn't too good.

For the record, ours has a BriteTek roof, which is a modified rubber. It's our 3rd one with this system and I absolutely love it.

MMM - not really fair to talk about costs doing a roof yourself in the garage. My comparison was based on the typical rubber roof replacement on a 40' fifth wheel at $6,000 - real dollars based on an Alpha Roof. Alpha may be an improved material over other rubber roofs, but is very thin by the way - not the best roof out there for resistance to branches or screws coming up through the bottom.

I'm actually going to call a Dealer today to see how they would handle a fiberglass roof. Other than shipping, I don't see a high skill set required to install it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bruce_Brown
DriverMan wrote:

It looks to me the roof problem with Winnebago is a serious one. Such a problem could literally destroy your motorhome. An that its most likely out of warranty by that time could be financially catastrophic, or am I overstating things?

You mentioned the seal, is this something you can reasonable check on your own? And if so is it something you can fix on your own?

How often should something like this be checked, every 5 years, 10 years, what? Can I assume this is all Winnebago's and not just the entry level Forza?

Is the a deal breaker? I can't think of many things worse than a faulty roof! I can understand slide problems etc, but a roof, Not Good!

I did a Google search for "trouble with Winnebago roofs" and was surprised to find very little on the subject! Has Winnebago commented on it anywhere and what their doing about it?

Mile High gave a great explanation and illustration of the issue. Maintenance/inspection is required every 6 months I believe. The Itasca (Winnie twin) we owned was built before they went to this terrible design. For me it would be a deal breaker.

As for the repair, well...do you know anyone other than the factory that can change that roof? I sure don't. As to cost, I disagree with Mile High on that one. I currently have a 35' 5th wheel in my garage - I'm helping a friend replace his rubber roof. It's basically done, he has roughly $800 in materials. He went with the Alpha system, it's pretty nice. A few years back I put an EPDM rubber roof on our TT, I had about $300 in that job. Any shop can do a "rubber" roof, I don't know of one that could do a full fiberglass roof replacement - other than the factory.

I'm not saying "rubber" is better, I AM saying some fiberglass just isn't too good.

For the record, ours has a BriteTek roof, which is a modified rubber. It's our 3rd one with this system and I absolutely love it.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, any of the new motorhomes from most mid level manufacturers are likely to leave the factory with build quality issues. Some will be merely annoying and can be fixed by a competent dealer (hard to find those these days) and some will be major. If you buy new, plan to spend at least the first year working out issues. RV's are not built by a lot of automation like autos and build quality relies heavily on the skill of the workers putting them together and their desire to do it right.

I owned two Winnebago's but they were built before the downturn of 2009. They were both decent coaches. Yes, the roof design is weak and Winnebago should change it. I would not reject an otherwise acceptable coach based on that. However, I would use either Eternabond tape on that seam (a permanent fix) or at least replace the factory sealant with a good urethane sealant like Proflex or 3M4200.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
DriverMan wrote:

Winnebago has used that design forever, so in contrast to the ones that have trouble, there are tons of them out there that never do. Again, you only hear about the bad ones.

If the wind rips it off, its not the end of the motorhome, but it is expensive to fix, probably similar to replacing a rubber roof that has caught air underneath and billowed up and stretched.

I just checked mine (it is an easy check - you push on the edge of the fiberglass and if the seal splits open it needs recaulked). There were 2 places I pulled out the caulk and resealed it, mainly the black painted areas where the heat was highest in the sun.

Obviously from what I own I didn't think it was a deal breaker, and I still feel that way, it is just something to stay on top of like any other seal.

If you would like to see how the roof is actually installed - forward to minute 13:07 on this factory video and it will show you - pretty simple system. I think it is that interlock with the wall they don't want to give up:

Winnebago Tour

Also about minute 10:15 on this one below.

Winnebago Tour 2

DriverMan
Explorer
Explorer

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
Hey Bruce, what's with the roof design? Haven't heard about that will you elaborate?

The roof is a one piece fiberglass that is rolled on the edges and tucked into an aluminum channel where it is sealed in place. If the seals are allowed to dry and crack, the edge of the roof can pop out of the channel. If you are in a high crosswind and it starts to pop out of the channel, it can be catastrophic to the roof. The way to avoid that problem is to make sure they seal remains in good shape.

Other companies have been more successful with a preformed roof. Winnebago seems to like to stick with what they have.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with the suggestion to check other manufacturers. We have a 2013 Newmar Ventana LE and have been very happy with it. The load capacity on our 34' LE is significantly higher than the load capacity on our 2005 Revolution LE, which I thought was very good. Newmar's build quality, in general, is excellent too.

Ed Headington

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bruce, what's with the roof design? Haven't heard about that will you elaborate?

Bruce_Brown
J-Rooster wrote:
James, let me be the first to welcome you to RV.Net! Hope your not getting very wet in Tampa! My brother in law lives not far from you in Spring Hill. I haven't heard much about Forest River RV's? I was at the Tacoma RV Show last night talking to a Winnebago Sales Rep. and this Rep. admitted that Winnebago has been having trouble with Lippert Slide Outs. The Rep. said that Winnebago has been making good on the repairs and thinks they have the slide out problem solved?

Nice to hear they're addressing that, he didn't happen to say if they've fixed their terrible roof design yet, did he?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
smacdiesel wrote:
I think pretty much all three major RV manufacturers are producing junk. Seriously, how can anyone argue against that?

Now there's an even handed statement if You've every heard one!!! Objectivity, yes-er-ee!

That's right, and I speak the truth. JUNK!
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
smacdiesel wrote:
I think pretty much all three major RV manufacturers are producing junk. Seriously, how can anyone argue against that?

Now there's an even handed statement if You've every heard one!!! Objectivity, yes-er-ee!

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like that one look hear at some of the nicer coaches.
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/
You can do better quality and money wise buying a used coach.
Also look hear
http://www.mhsrv.com/
or hear
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Note that some entry level diesels are pretty light on payload, watch out for that.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mile High and thanks. Two good points, I too can't remember when there wasn't a Winnebago around! And there having parts and information for their coaches is a big deal isn't it? I remember hearing about that before!

You generally hear about the coaches that have a lot of trouble but not much about Winnebago. Other than their slide problem that I understand they finely got to the bottom of!

I'd like to know more about the Berkshire myself!