cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hemi Engines

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why these engines are not being used by Workhorse as a option to Big Block Chevy? Thanks for all opinions!
43 REPLIES 43

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The hemi design is in the head itself. Right now you can buy a hemi head for a Chevy or Ford, or go with the one that Chrysler has.
Chevy Hemi
Ford Hemi
Chrysler Hemi

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Does anyone know why these engines are not being used by Workhorse as a option to Big Block Chevy? Thanks for all opinions!

Too much weight and work for the HP you get out of them
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
randallb wrote:
The new Hemi is not a true hemi but kind of a combination of a trick flow design and a BBC head. A true hemi has the valve stems 90 degrees to each other and a direct line from intake to exhaust port. The new hemi is more of a splayed valve. Since Dodge is the truck line almost all of their heavy trucks rely on the Cummins 6.7. Now that would make a nice RV chassis but no one wants a FRED. FREDs are inherently noisy.
Randy

BS The 426 hemi valves were 180 degrees to each other and so are the new 5.7 and 6.4 engines
first of all 426 valves are 90 degrees apart. Second the new "HEMI" is not ever close to true hemi. Chrysler stole the design over 60 years ago and then copyrighted the word and now it is catch phrase and not a true design.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:

Well yes and it is easy. Worknorse used to be GM, they are a Spin off of GM (Beofre Workorse they made GMC, Same plant, Same people, Same designs) SO Workhorse is set up for GM engines. always has been.

HEMI is not a brand, it's a design, and it's the engine design CHRYSLER uses.

So for Workhorse to use Chrysler engines.. not likely going to happen. at least not in teh Gasoline engine class.

In the Diesel class you often find alternative companies. For example a FORD chassis, with a Cummings engine, and an Allison tranny is not unhead of,, But never in Gas less it's an after market mod.
Thanks John! Workhorse stated when they get back into the RV Chassis sometime in the future there going with two gas engines a 6.0 for the smaller coaches and a 8.8 for there larger coaches but they wouldn't mention the engine brand? Possibly the Ill. engine?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
J-Rooster wrote:

Well yes and it is easy. Worknorse used to be GM, they are a Spin off of GM (Beofre Workorse they made GMC, Same plant, Same people, Same designs) SO Workhorse is set up for GM engines. always has been.

HEMI is not a brand, it's a design, and it's the engine design CHRYSLER uses.

So for Workhorse to use Chrysler engines.. not likely going to happen. at least not in teh Gasoline engine class.

In the Diesel class you often find alternative companies. For example a FORD chassis, with a Cummings engine, and an Allison tranny is not unhead of,, But never in Gas less it's an after market mod.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII wrote:
A company in Illinois has taken over the 8+ litre big block v-8 and has done a lot of engineering design improvements and offers the engine for sale to Rv and truck builders. I am surprised there has not been more publicity about it.

As for the Chrysler, Dodge, Ram hemi line, My view of this engine for motorhome use is marginal. I own two of them, one in a Grand Cherokee and one in a Ram.I love em and their performance. There are some things that concern me like the aluminum construction and the open deck under the cylinder heads. Get all that in a class A chassis where air flow around the engine could be better and the rest of the cooling system is barely adequate but not capable of dealing with some of the severe heating problems we have all seen over the years on these vehicles. That atmosphere has been difficult for cast iron engines to survive in not to mention aluminum.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Illinois company.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
A company in Illinois has taken over the 8+ litre big block v-8 and has done a lot of engineering design improvements and offers the engine for sale to Rv and truck builders. I am surprised there has not been more publicity about it.

As for the Chrysler, Dodge, Ram hemi line, My view of this engine for motorhome use is marginal. I own two of them, one in a Grand Cherokee and one in a Ram.I love em and their performance. There are some things that concern me like the aluminum construction and the open deck under the cylinder heads. Get all that in a class A chassis where air flow around the engine could be better and the rest of the cooling system is barely adequate but not capable of dealing with some of the severe heating problems we have all seen over the years on these vehicles. That atmosphere has been difficult for cast iron engines to survive in not to mention aluminum.
jwmII

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
The new Hemi is not a true hemi but kind of a combination of a trick flow design and a BBC head. A true hemi has the valve stems 90 degrees to each other and a direct line from intake to exhaust port. The new hemi is more of a splayed valve. Since Dodge is the truck line almost all of their heavy trucks rely on the Cummins 6.7. Now that would make a nice RV chassis but no one wants a FRED. FREDs are inherently noisy.
Randy

BS The 426 hemi valves were 180 degrees to each other and so are the new 5.7 and 6.4 engines

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Randy

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
It's not that they're without an available engine with an 8.8 liter and if they do ever start up again, as stated here....
WH coming back
When Navistar International bought them out, they thought they had a winner with their own little in house front mounted Diesel, but we all know how long that lasted, with most all manufactures going with a Ford chassis.
Tropical36, since Workhorse is back in the RV Chassis business when is there first unit due out? Do you know what brand of engines there going to use in these units? Thanks

The engine stated is by....
PSI
As for if and when, I have not a clue and the article is getting old, so they might have scrubbed the whole idea, by now. What they need to do is to bring back the UFO and side mount the radiator, along with a hydraulic driven fan. Expensive I know, but there are many out there, that want a rear pusher, just not a diesel.
Having said that, I'm most sure they're market studies are way ahead of mine.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to see Ford put a big Ecoboost in their gas motorhomes.The new 2nd generation 3.5 is making 375 hp and 470 torque and the first generation 3.5 has an excellent reputation among trailer towers. Ford truck forums have rumors of a 5 liter under development, but Hell.

My 1 liter Fiesta Ecoboost makes 123hp and 148 torque, scaled up to 7 liters that's 861 hp and 1036 torque. Who'd need a diesel?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The Workhorse Group has not mentioned the RV market again apparently since that May, '15 release. They seem instead to be concentrating their resources on their E-Gen hybrid truck chassis and the HorseFly Drone program.

Workhorse Group Media
Thanks for the Clickey Dutch! I called Dan Zitto media and press release Rep. for Workhorse and left him a message if he knows when the Workhorse RV Chassis are going to start up again. I asked him to call me back? I know Workhorse is working hard on there electric hybrid truck (truck makes it's own electric power via a genset) I have no proof but I think there doing this for UPS?

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
This post will turn out to be another BS argument.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
Not sure WHY Dodge has never gotten into the RV game,

There were lots of OLD 440 c.i. MoPar units built.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
You guys looking to put your RVs on the drag strip? :B J/K with ya!

Not sure WHY Dodge has never gotten into the RV game, and why GM got out of it. But, everything I've ever read about the Triton V10 is positive...well, except for those few years that they didn't put enough threads in the spark plug holes....

Just remember, though...horsepower gets you to the end of the track faster, but torque is what makes it FEEL good getting there!

Dodge was pretty much the first chassis Mfg for motor homes
way back when
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar