cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 99 between Whistler and Lillooet, BC

Monty1953
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 38' Fleetwood Expedition diesel and we tow a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. We are thinking about driving from Whistler to Lillooet on Highway 99 but have heard it would be a tough route with our RV.
Has anyone driven this route? If so, how was it? We can anyone recommend any RV parks? We will start out in Vancouver and end up in Kelowna.
Thanks in advance and have a great day!
8 REPLIES 8

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Drove it yesterday in a Jeep. It is very scenic route especially this time of year. Saw dozens of foreign tourist in rented class Cs and about dozen of Prevost tour buses.
There are some steep sections on both ends but the road is in best shape I have ever seen it. The last several kilometers before Seton Lake and Lilloet is freshly paved and is in excellent condition. Take it easy on brakes and you will be OK.
Despite the reports of closure we and number of other vehicles got thru slide area without any problems.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
oneolddog wrote:
I've driven this road a few times in my Allegro Bus with no problem at all. The views are amazing. There used to be one section of road for 1000' ft. that wasn't paved and A holes passed me as I was trying to go slow so I didn't get pelted with rocks and they sped by pelting me with rocks.

its still not paved and its currently closed

Highway 99 is closed north of Lillooet because the hill is unstable.

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were on that same road in a vehicle almost identical to yours last year about this time. I didn't think it was a hard drive except it took much longer then I expected but I was in no hurry so we enjoyed it. P.S. When we were on it there was very little traffic.

oneolddog
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven this road a few times in my Allegro Bus with no problem at all. The views are amazing. There used to be one section of road for 1000' ft. that wasn't paved and A holes passed me as I was trying to go slow so I didn't get pelted with rocks and they sped by pelting me with rocks.
2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled over the same road a few yrs back, no problem except one hill which is steep and winding.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Semis use that route so you will be fine. It is a good two lane road but be aware some of the bridges are narrow so be careful with oncoming traffic. You will encounter a long hard pull north of Pemberton so watch the temperature gauge and don't be in a hurry.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We took this road in our 40' motorhome 5 years or so ago. It is VERY windey, narrow and steep in places. We made it okay, but be Very careful at the blind curves, and going down steep grades.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Monty1953 wrote:
We have a 38' Fleetwood Expedition diesel and we tow a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. We are thinking about driving from Whistler to Lillooet on Highway 99 but have heard it would be a tough route with our RV.
Has anyone driven this route? If so, how was it? We can anyone recommend any RV parks? We will start out in Vancouver and end up in Kelowna.
Thanks in advance and have a great day!

from what I know its a pretty winedy twisty road that got some pretty steep grades like over 10%

heres one review I found
Duffy Lake Rd. AMAZING!! This is a hidden treasure. One of the most scenic drives I've taken. The road, at least most of it, has recently been repaved. Twisty, turny, up and down, winding through valleys, then up 13% grades to the top of mountain passes.you cross several temperate zones along the way ending up in Lillooet, surrounded by sage brush.

many many years ago I lived in Bralorne but this road was only a goat trail then