cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hot water runs hot then cold

How_Dun
Explorer
Explorer
We left the Midwest this morning with a winterized 2008 Newmar Dutch Star. We are far enough South to have water. The problem is the hot water in running from the faucet first hot and then cold. I have tried everything I can think of and still am not getting hot water only. What am I doing or not doing and what can be the problem? Thanks for your help.
18 REPLIES 18

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
I removed my mixing valve and soaked it in CLR for a day then re-installed it. Been working great for 4 years. Probably due for another cleaning soon.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
My coach had the same problem and I traced it to the Watts mixing valve. It was soldered so you could adjust it, I knocked the solder out and had my wife stand by the sink with a thermometer while I adjusted to the proper temperature. Been working good for about 5 years now. If you feel that's to risky I would replace the mixing valve.:)

How_Dun
Explorer
Explorer
It started working on own. Road conditions shook it loose. thanks for all your help.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How Dun wrote:
Old biscuit called it. We have the Atwood XT with mixing valve. Can it
be repaired or must it be replaced ?

It can be soaked in CLR....sometimes that works, most times not so much

You can replace with OEM roughly $145...LINK

Do an Internet Search for a mixing valve.
Your OEM one uses 1/2" and is set for 130*F output

OR
Remove it completely.
Just change plumbing to COLD water IN (Bottom) and HOT water OUT (Top
Then change normal t-stat form the OEM 160*F to the 140*F t-stat used on all other models.(Atwood 91447)
Will need to change connection on brown wire from t-stat to a spade connector....XT uses a PIN connector

Removing it, changing plumbing (easy) and changing to lower temp t-stat is cheapest option AND no more mixing valve to plug up.

Downside......your 10 gallon water heater that was equivalent to a 16 gallon WH due to the higher water temp is now just a regular 10 gallon WH-------BUT no more mixing valve issues
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
How Dun wrote:

They are better replaced. I doubt you could clean one out and then get the mixing valve to function correctly. The purpose of the XT series with the Mixing valve is to produce 16 gallons of hot water from a 10 gallon tank. DO NOT REMOVE IT. As Jetcare stated you will have extremely HOT water without the mixing valve. The normal temp of a RV water heater is 130 degrees. As Jetcare stated, the XT produces 160/170 degree water which is way above scalding temp. The Mixing valve takes that extreme hot water and mixes it with cold to produce 130 degree water output. Doug

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
kalsbeek wrote:
Do not repair or replace it. They are a disaster and useless.
Just remove it out of the plumbing and go direct. We did this
6 years ago and never a problem.

This is a very bad idea. The water temperature in this XT water heater is 155-160 degrees. It will cause serious skin burns in a matter of seconds.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

kalsbeek
Explorer
Explorer
Do not repair or replace it. They are a disaster and useless.
Just remove it out of the plumbing and go direct. We did this
6 years ago and never a problem.
The Kalsbeeks
2008 Bounder Diesel
325 Cummins.

How_Dun
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How Dun wrote:
We left the Midwest this morning with a winterized 2008 Newmar Dutch Star. We are far enough South to have water. The problem is the hot water in running from the faucet first hot and then cold. I have tried everything I can think of and still am not getting hot water only. What am I doing or not doing and what can be the problem? Thanks for your help.

Well..........

Find anything?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Water heater bypass is still open.
2013 ACE 29.2

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
...If hydronic, make sure water pressure is 55 or less and you are using diesel burner...

Don't need the burner if driving. The engine warms the water automatically when running.
2014 American Eagle

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fourmat wrote:
DrewE wrote:
It could also be the water heater bypass valve is still open.

The water heater bypass valve being open and a shower being turned on at the tap but turned off at the shower heat (which seems to come up more frequently with the outside shower) are the typical causes of the symptoms you describe. They all allow unheated water to flow into the hot water lines along with the heated water.

+1 Seen it many times

My bet as well. Been there done that.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It could also be the water heater bypass valve is still open.

The water heater bypass valve being open and a shower being turned on at the tap but turned off at the shower heat (which seems to come up more frequently with the outside shower) are the typical causes of the symptoms you describe. They all allow unheated water to flow into the hot water lines along with the heated water.

+1 Seen it many times
2009 Challenger

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing that will cause it is if your outside shower is turned on but shut off at the shower head. I did it last year, used the outside shower, shut it off at the head but didn't turn the valves off. Luckily, I remember to check it after just a few minutes and didn't have to suffer very long.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C