cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot water tank bypass valves

casefarmri
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to know if anyone (07 Fleetwood Revolution LE) has some info on why this water heater has only one bypass valve. Winterizing after blowing out lines and draining with valve in bypass position?????, took 15-20 gal of anti freeze. Heard should only take 3-4 gallon. Is one bypass valve enough to block flow to water tank? One year newbie and trying to learn everything before cross country trip this summer.
Help Plz!
12 REPLIES 12

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Some companies (Winnebago for one) use two check valves. Here is a drawing I made of my Winnebago setup. If you only have one check valve it will be in the hot water out line.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

MikeDavies
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Coachmen Mirada 2004.The manual clearly shows 2 bypass valves and a check valve. It only has one bypass valve and a check valve.

flapbreaker
Explorer
Explorer
My money is on a bad check valve. Had to replace mine after trying to winterize this fall.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have an Atwood XT Model you will not have check valve on hot out......you will have a 'mixing valve' as noted by 'MALEXANDER' and his post about HIS 2007 Bounder

If you call FW with your FW ID #, they will email all of your plumbing and electric diagrams.

800-322-8216
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer

casefarmri
Explorer
Explorer
Tks tatest. That makes sense with the chk valve vs 3 bypass valves. I will chk to see if I can find chk valve.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
My bypass has only one valve, on the water heater inlet. It reroutes what would go into the heater to the output side, and a check valve keeps water or antifreeze from entering the heater through the outlet.

This is a fairly common factory setup for water heater bypass.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a check valve at the hot water outlet that prevents back flow into the heater tank when the 3-port valve at the cold inlet is in the bypass position. The check valves are a fairly common failure point when mineral buildup causes them to stick either open or closed. In your case, it likely stuck open of course. The check valve is usually pretty easy to replace if access is good. Sometimes they require some odd body contortions though. 🙂
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '07 Bounder. I had to cut an access hole in the closet wall, then cut the floor out of the area under the linen drawers to get to the back side of my water heater.

I tell you this because I lost all pressure to the hot side of all fixtures. I'm actually a licensed plumber. I wasn't sure what/how the
by-pass valve was doing. But, I found the mixing valve at the wh to be stopped up. I took it out, replumbed the entire wh area with my own by-pass valve set up. I installed a garden hose fitting with a ball valve on it so I could back-flush the wh if I wanted to.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Someone will post a picture but, there is a valve where the water goes in and a one way check where the water goes out. That valve should not let antifreeze in but it did. The three valve system might be a better way to go.

casefarmri
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info bumpy, but am newbie and WHAT???????????

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
assuming the shut off valve is after the T bypass pipe and before inlet into water heater, and there is an antibackflow valve in the pipe from bypass to outlet it should work?
bumpy