cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do folks like their Fleetwood Tioga 1999-2005?

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm brand new to RV's and just read a few books about this. Fleetwood Tioga was highly recommended and I was searching & found some good prices for 99-05's

Folks who have owned these models - are/were you happy with them?
how easy to drive on highways?
how easy to in windy weather?
is it easier to drive some lengths over others?
how easy to drive with towing a car behind and still have good driving control?
full size shower/toilet?

My plan is to travel from state to state for work and making this my main home for a year - 1 person.

Any other suggestions are welcome.
Just started looking at Rvs

Many thanks
20 REPLIES 20

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
One big thing we look for is driver and passenger seat comfort. From time to time we put in long days. We insist they be able to lean back and slide to the point we have complete comfort. We have looked at some rigs where the back of the drivers seat is leaning forward because they have put some thing behind it. Also be sure when the seat is were you want it there is room for your feet so you are comfortable. My wife and I enjoy setting in them and reading when parked. I have the parts to make them turn and face back but we like them as they are. We often stay in the Motorhome sites (They pull in so the front is facing some thing to see) and the hookups are on the other side from back in sites.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for sharing your story snowdance. I've added the shocks/sway bar to my tips page. Nice pics.

Bordercollie - priority for me is quality of the rig rather than the furniture, and I have heard Winnebago is a better build. I've heard such good things about Tioga and the price is in my range. That's how I came to this decision.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood Tioga and Jamboree lines seem to be average in overall "housebox" build quality. Owners of other brands, costing considerably more, tend to
to leave Fleetwoods off their list when recommending brands to buy to beginners.
It may be that build quality, choice of upholstery floorplans and features have improved due to competition since we bought our 2004 26Q. Suggest beginners compare Fleetwood and Winnebago products feature for feature and prices with standard features and options then making their choice.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2000 Jamboree 23B. We liked it because of the more cabinet space and more drawers than the Toiga 23b. However the basic layout is the same. We had the dinette and couch redone with better foam and springs so they are very nice to sleep on. We make them up each evening.
We use a fleece blanket on the bed and do not tuck it in as the fleece does not move. We then use a 0 degree back packing bag unzipped as a comforter. If it gets cold we just zip it up. When we get up we just stuff them in a laundry bag. No folding or rolling. We then just toss it in the overhead bunk as we use it only for storage. Making and taking the beds apart takes about 8 min.
We have kept the rig because we have been unable to find any thing we like better no matter the size.
Ours is on a Chevy and we have added extra heavy shocks and rear sway bar. We live in the Shasta Valley of California so 30 to 50 mph winds are common. It handles very well. There are pics of it at my link..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the overview and sharing your personal experiences 4x4van

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
All (or most) bells & whistles can be found on nearly all RVs, all brands, all models, and if not can most times be easily added. Bottom line is that Fleetwood made good quality RVs for many years under several brand names (Tioga, Jamboree...), and there are alot of them out there. As bordercollie said, chassis and drive train are similar for most Class C's as well as appliances, AC and house battery systems.

As for your questions:

-how easy to drive on highways? If the alignment, tires, and loading is good, they are perfectly happy on the highway.
-how easy to in windy weather? Most (if not all) RVs don't like the wind.
-is it easier to drive some lengths over others? Generally, the shorter, the easier.
-how easy to drive with towing a car behind and still have good driving control? As long as GCWR is OK, towing a trailer or toad with brakes should not be a major issue.
-full size shower/toilet? Depends on the floorplan.

I drove a 27' 1988 Jamboree Class C for 19 years with no major issues (just finally moved up to a Class A; Itasca) while pulling a 4,000 lb enclosed trailer (winter) or a 2,500lb jet ski trailer (summer). The Jamboree was nearly identical to the similar model of Tioga, and I have nothing bad to say about it that couldn't be said about every MH on the road.

Due diligence is required on ANY used RV purchase, and repairs, upkeep, and maintenance is simply the cost of owning any "house" that shakes rattles and rolls down the highway for miles and miles.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks IAMICHABOD - just saw your post - didnt get an email notice for some reason.

Im keeping notes. Actually I am considering installing a compost toilet and using the black tank as another fresh water tank.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the newer ones come with a black tank flush,a really nice thing to have.

I installed a Quickie Flush in my Class C and it was one of the best Mods I have done, and pretty simple.

I picked the Quickie Flush over the Tornado because of the high failure rate of the swivel part. A few of my friends had them fail and it leaves it useless in the tank.

The only thing that I changed is where the hose connects up with the flusher I put a 90 Degree Elbow in it to reduce the strain on the hose and make it closer to the tank.

It looks like this when finished, with a quick disconnect on the end.

Don't get discouraged if it leaks at the hose connections at first they are sometimes hard to get tight. Tightened mine up and have had no leaks anywhere.
Another suggestion is to make a test hole in a piece of wood or something and test fit the device to the hole. I found that the hole size suggested was much larger than needed.
Good Luck.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting IAMICHABOD - Im putting together a list from all the great tips you all are sharing here. Many thanks

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I will keep a look out for those handy conveniences - thanks cgmartine

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Just remembered another thing, but I don't know on which years and models it is available, and that is the black tank rinser. On mine, which is a 2008 Tioga, it has a separate hose connection which allows the tank to be rinsed. The water has to be turned off after a few rinses, otherwise the black tank fills up, but this is a great feature to help you keep your tank extra clean. Not all motorhomes have this, so it is great to have. Also a switch to keep the side steps from retracting every time you open the side door, plus a switch to turn on an interior light as you step inside the coach.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
cgmartine wrote:
House batteries under the side steps makes it very convenient for access.

cgmartines post reminded of something,along with other things that he mentioned was that a lot of Tiogas like mine,in the years before and after,came with a BIRD in the battery compartment, a Bi Directional Isolator Relay Delay,it's that small black box bottom center,click on the picture to get a bigger view.

It operates by sensing the voltages on both batteries.
When either of these voltages exceeds 13.3 volts for
approximately 1 minute, which happens when either battery
is being charged, the control will close the isolator solenoid,
connecting the two batteries together, charging them both.
(Normal charging voltages are from approximately 13.8 to
14.4 volts.)
After the solenoid has been closed, the system continues to
sense the voltage. If the ignition switch is off and the battery
voltage drops below 12.8 volts for approximately 1 minute,
which might occur when the converter is heavily loaded,
the solenoid is opened to prevent the chassis battery from
being discharged by the coach loads. When the voltage goes
above 13.3 volts again for approximately 1 minute, the solenoid
closes again. Thus always keeping the Coach as well as Chassis battery charged. Regardless of the parasitic draws on the chassis battery that run it down while sitting unused.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing Chopperbob. I feel your love and joy for your Tioga.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Love mine. 2001 model bought in 2012. Only had 15,000 miles needed no repairs. Added lots of stuff. Now has 35,000.