cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to bring slide in and drive off?

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a small class c ie winnebago view/navion, tiffin wayfarer, or entegra qwest to use as place to sleep overnight while i'm working.

question - how long to bring in the single wall side in and drive off? no external hookups. 10 minutes? 5 minutes?

just trying to get an idea. thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never seen a slide that took even a full minute, in or out. Mine (2 slides, HWH hydraulic, bedroom and kitchen/dinette) take less than 15 seconds each (yes, I just went out and timed them). My daughter's trailer, with an electric/cable slide (don't know the brand), takes about 20 seconds.

To the OP; like others have said, you could look for a floorplan that still allows full use without extending the slide, so that it's quicker while working but still gives extra room while family camping. BUT...it will take longer to get out of bed and put your pants on than it will take to bring in the slide.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good advice above. Don't rush or you could regret it someday. Check things out. But to answer your question. I have 4 slides and after all else is done before my final walk-around about 2 min. for all slides.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Theoretically, you can be on the road in a couple minutes from hanging up the phone.

Realistically, expect to make a mistake and cause some damage if you are in a rush.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
Mine fully retracts in well under a minute. It has done that every time the retract button has been pushed...... for 14 years; but the day is surely coming when it won't retract. There is a method to manually retract it, but those who have posted about that procedure say it is a long, drawn-out process.

If you are not totally averse to going with a toad you might want to reconsider it. Towing a small vehicle 4-down is a LOT less trouble than many think it is ..... a piece of cake, actually. Most of us can hook up and "double-check our checklist" in 15 minutes or so. Unhooking takes even less time.

Best. Be safe.
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 27' Itasca with 1 slide, it only gives some more room, and we can camp without putting the slide out.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
bzboy wrote:
I did consider no slides but was planning on splitting the camper between work and some road trips with the family and we need the little extra space the slide gives.

With something like a View/Navion, if you avoid the full wall slide models and stick to the J/V/G or equivalents on the other platforms, you can park overnight with the slide in, and have full access to the sleeping area/galley/head/cab over bunk/cockpit. Morning comes or the phone rings, put keys in the ignition, start engine, drive away. Then when traveling with the family, use the smaller forward dinette or couch slide, to give you the extra living space up front.
Might be worth a look, if you can live with the smaller slide.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
Because we move around often, we set up and break down often.
For us, more time is spent on putting away periphery items, rather than closing up the slide. Interior items all have a place and most are put away and secured after each use.
We do fresh water fill instead of hooking up to water sources. We don't hook up to the sewer unless we need to dump, then put it away. So when we leave it's only unhooking the electric and sometimes cable.
You can make it work with a bit of planning.
happynow

Steve and Carol

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
I did consider no slides but was planning on splitting the camper between work and some road trips with the family and we need the little extra space the slide gives.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
bzboy wrote:
I will be on call for 4 different hospitals that I need to get to within 30 min of receiving the phone call hence the need to get up and drive off.

No toad, no wheel chocks, nothing hooked externally. will do one quick walk around after the slide is in.

If it's critical that you be able to pack up and go on a moment's notice, you might be better off with no slides at all (or at least don't extend it when you're on call) since slides have a habit of breaking down at the most inopportune time.

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to do a "mock" set up and break down with any dealer so you know. Each model may vary a bit.
Some models have two slideouts.
Part of our breakdown is fold blanket & stow our pillows. Put away coffeemaker, etc.
happynow

Steve and Carol

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In that case add 1 minute to bring the slide in, 2 if you're not awake when the call comes. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
I will be on call for 4 different hospitals that I need to get to within 30 min of receiving the phone call hence the need to get up and drive off.

No toad, no wheel chocks, nothing hooked externally. will do one quick walk around after the slide is in.

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Tiffin Wayfarer 2019 FW Model with full Wall Slide.Old Version of RW.

With two of us, break down is 4-5 minutes doing inside and outside tasks without rushing.Super Easy. Set up is a bit longer.

We are minimalists. Almost 6 years Full Timing, 2 1/2 of those years in the Wayfarer.
happynow

Steve and Carol

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I traveled solo and when stopping for the night in a truck stop/rest area etc I would put my rear slide out.

Once I got up I would push the button and be ready to go in a matter of minutes. My front slide required a slide lock to be put in place so that took a few extra minutes.

The one time my slide lock was not in place the slide bracket broke and my slide came out about 6 inches. driving down I-15

As mentioned, my rigs never move until I do a complete walk around and inspection and tire kick. Especially if you are towing behind your MH.