cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long to learn to drive a Class A

Sunshineinal
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering the purchase of a new Class A. (presently have a 37 ft. 5th wheel) We went on test drives in a new Georgetown (1st) and a Tiffin Breeze (2nd). I was loving the Georgetown on the back roads but then, we got on the interstate. Didn't enjoy that at all. Went back and got the Tiffin. Same thing. The salesman said he could tell I was used to rack and pinion steering. I'm wondering if I will get used to the feeling a swaying and the play in the steering. About how long did it take for you to get the hang of driving a Class A?
32 REPLIES 32

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
When we took delivery of our MH from the dealer all the tires were 15 to 20 lbs low on air. Forest River also paid for an alignment after purchase.
Not sure how the rigs you test drove were set up but these two things made a big difference in how my rig handled. Did CHF and it made it even better
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a retired over the road truckdriver and I experienced what your talking about in my semi and my RV almost all the time. Your driving a high profile vehicle so any vehicle pushing wind or the wind itself will effect on how your vehicle steers. Also most roads & Hwys. are "Supered" for drainage. Most roads it's a 3" difference between the centerline and the fog line and this will have a minor effect on your driving also.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for steering stabilizer

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
I also have Steer Safe on MH> LOVE IT
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

TempatureContro
Explorer
Explorer
I never use the entire steering wheel circumference except turning corners. Otherwise I am overcorrecting(over steering). I steer down the road with hands on the steering wheel spokes.
I also added Safety Steer Plus with helps centering. Esp helpful in gusty cross winds or if you blow a front tire.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Rodz wrote:
I've had several MH's both gas and diesel. All but one needed a front end alignment. In every case I had the shop put a couple degrees more caster in it. No comparison in how it handles. Tracks straight with one hand.

x2, +caster cancels out the dead zone between L and R and it becomes a bias. IMO.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You never stop learning. There is just no set time or mileage that will allow you to experience every single thing that you may encounter as you drive any vehicle.
Whenever the driver feels "comfortable" will vary with each person. Only you will know when you feel that you have the "hands on" experience to deal with any anticipated circumstances while on the road, including heavy traffic, inclement weather, mountain driving, or an emergency such as a flat tire, etc.

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Test drive a newmar. Some say they drive themselves:B
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

racerchaser
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, that a motorhome is a large slab-sided box. Nothing like the PU you have been driving. The air currents and any wind will affect the motorhome much more than any auto/truck-sized vehicle. Some of the "sway and playing" you are experiencing is not actually there but since you are sitting higher it will seem to be a bigger problems. It is somewhat in the same region as how much faster you will seem to be going in any vehicle the closer you are to the pavement. All that having been said any motorhome has a higher center of gravity than any car/truck vehicle. Try riding along while someone else drives the motorhome and see what your perceptions are. I think that you are worrying more about perception than reality.
Fox

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of difference if you had rack and pinion gear before. The coaches do have a little play in comparison, but it is all a matter of getting used to that type of steering. Once you get used to it, you will stop fighting it and things start looking a lot easier then before.

Then when you get off the coach and you hop into your rack and pinion gear sports car, you will be jerking the sports car all over the place because they respond to any little movement on the steering. Happens to me all the time.

I do not believe both of those coaches you mentioned would need alignment, probably more of having too much air on the tires. I have had two coaches and none have ever needed wheel alignment. You would have to drive that coach through some pretty rough area's to knock it out of alignment.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember the day in 1977 we picked up our new MH in southern CA. Driving through LA traffic on a Friday afternoon was interesting to say the least. Later that day on I5 north DW wanted to try driving it. She was all over the road until I explained to her how to judge where she was in the lane. Once she got the idea it was easy for her to drive.

Sunshineinal
Explorer
Explorer
Loving the information I'm getting.

Hjudge49
Explorer
Explorer
When the alignment and tire pressure are right, it's easier to drive the Coach than a car. One tip: don't just get the front end aligned, do both axles, and if you get a tag, get it checked also. I had mine aligned at Josam in Orlando and found all three axles out. After alignment, I found I almost never needed to steer on a straightaway.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
You pick it up pretty quick. It is an odd sensation at first (sitting above or in front of the steering wheels). I found myself checking the front end over and over again looking for a source of play or wear that really didn't exist. As I get more miles behind me, I'm feeling more comfortable with it.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
When we first got our MH, the previous owner had the tires at the max PSI. There was a lot of swaying in our coach and it took a lot of concentration to be able get down the road.

After reading some of the great advise on this forum, we lowered the tire pressure by almost 20#. The difference was amazing! No more playing with the steering and a much smoother ride.

Talk to the salesman and tech guys to see if they can work with you on adjusting tire pressure. Then test drive again to see if there is any difference.

BTW... Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of great tips here!
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor