cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there an easy way to tell the 440-1 from the 440-3?

As I recall, look at the harmonic balancer: the regular 440 is neutral-balanced. The 440-3 is externally-balanced, having the same heavy bottom-end parts as the 440 6-pack.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

DRTY_DAWG_77
Explorer
Explorer
new to this site. I own a 1978 scrambler on a dodge frame with a 440 big block in it. am having severe issues with it. i posted on here whats going on, its under 1978 scrambler in the search box. any help would be appreciated.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
nodakotaclassc wrote:
2-3 seconds

You probably have a rolled-over or broken rubber seal in the front clutch pack. Pull the trans pan and look what is in the bottom of the pan.

cowboy450
Explorer
Explorer
Me too! Me too! 1976 Tioga with a 360. I have only had it two weeks and love it. I think someone needs to set up a website or maybe a seperate forum here to share info.
Country people may not polish their boots often but they don't polish anyone else's either.

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Retro Cruiser wrote:
Is there an easy way to tell the 440-1 from the 440-3??

Earlier pages on this site had info on using the VIN for identification. Other than that you can check the right side of the block. It should have the motor designation cast into the block.

Page 63
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

nodakotaclassc
Explorer
Explorer
2-3 seconds

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
From the time you get the selector in R ... how long does it take for it to go into gear?

nodakotaclassc
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm not sure. I have only driven it twice since then and have been able to use reverse just fine. Do you think I should just take it in and have it rebuilt?

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any delay at all ?

nodakotaclassc
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Reverse feels good.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Does reverse come in slow ?

nodakotaclassc
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my rv I had to drive it 900 miles to get it home, and the trans worked just fine for me. On my next adventure (100 miles round trip) the trans would not shift into 3rd on the way home. When I spoke with a transmission shop they said if I still have reverse (which I do) the trans is probably not bad there is something else going on. Any ideas?

I am also looking at getting an Air Conditioner for the old rig. It is 27' and I don't know if I should get a 13.5K or a 15K. I don't know anything about motor homes so any information on this subject would be appreciated.

I also want to get a generator to run the A/C unit for when I am not close to shore power. I do not want to get one that is directly bolted on, because I want to be able to use it in case of power outages up here in No.Dak. I want to buy a 'quiet' generator, but need it to power the new air conditioner. If anyone has a combination that works good for them, I would really like to know.

Last, is there a way to run the Air Conditioner while rolling down the highway? Not extremely important, but would be nice.

Thanks,
Brady

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
In the Modesto Bee, the is a 440 and trans for sale and for like $200 bucks

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an easy way to tell the 440-1 from the 440-3??

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note to check your 440. The 440-1 has different water chambers than the 440-3. If you do a motor job and just get the 440-1 head gaskets, these will block the cooling jackets around the cylinders. Also I have run into other gaskets that don't fit properly. Never realized that MOPAR made 2 styles of the 440, until I got my MH.

From my research, the 440-3 was originally built for the military, for use on water pumps. This motor is a high torque low RPM engine. Therfore being built for mostly stationary use additional water jackets were cast into the block.

As to the header issue, mine has Doug Thorley's feeding into a 4" exhaust. Power and heat are no issue since install. Actually mine now runs on the cold side.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]