cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

RobinHoodRV
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
As for weight, anything with a fiberglass body is going to be lighter. That's as far as my knowledge takes me, though

Actually I believe the aluminum skinned MHs are lighter. Many with the fiberglass siding of that genre had a steel frame instead of the wooden frame. The steel framing is heavier than wooden framing. Also, the fiberglass is heavier than the aluminum siding.

Probably the best weight to structural integrity is the aluminum framing with a fiberglass body. JMHO
-jc

78 Robinhood 23' Class C
97 Geo Tracker Convertible 4x4
87 Jeep Comanche Chief 4x4

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
wow how dod aI join the DODGE Club
jc

79powerwagon wrote:
OK Trish, I'll give the seller a call. If it's still for sale, I'll have a look-see!

And you are already a member of the Dodge club, so I'll mail you the old DODGE logo from the hood of my PW and you can slap it on the nose of the Ford. Nobody will ever know! :B

Eric

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
OK Trish, I'll give the seller a call. If it's still for sale, I'll have a look-see!

And you are already a member of the Dodge club, so I'll mail you the old DODGE logo from the hood of my PW and you can slap it on the nose of the Ford. Nobody will ever know! :B

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
I love my American Clipper, the new fuel pump work but I think I clean the one in the rear by the gas tank I hope that minght help, or the ground wire is not working all the time, so here I go again, wish me luck.

I can drive like I did to work in the beast, it just sometimes it does what it wants to do I just drive this beast

jc

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You don't owe me ๐Ÿ˜‰ Though that does sound like a nice place, despite the snakes ๐Ÿ˜‰

American Clippers are one-piece fiberglass. One of the members - the guy who's having trouble with his 440 - has a Clipper. Ask him for photos/info - he's got more than I do. I love the style of those, though.

Other than that, all coaches will leak if not taken care of - ie checked frequently and resealed when needed. And the Clippers will have the same trouble with windows and vents we all do - so they need to be checked and resealed too.

AC replacement actually is easy. It's a 2-piece unit. Remove the cover from the inside and unbolt about 4 bolts, then go on the roof and do the same. Coupla wires and voilรก! You're done. Whenever you replace, make sure to use a new gasket. Cheap insurance against leaks.

Umm...electronic ignition was an option on mine, which is a '73 (fortunately, the original owner chose that option). I'm not sure when the option was first offered, however. I'm just about positive you can pull an electronic ignition setup from any year Dodge truck/motorhome and have it work, though (someone with more knowledge/info, chime in here!).

My hitch was a factory-installed option. They beefed up the frame and welded the hitch to it. So you want to look for that. With an after-market hitch, I'd make sure it's properly secured to the frame and also that the frame is suitably strong where the hitch is attached. A PO might have added the hitch without reinforcing what it's bolted to, so check it carefully. Or added a hitch to a loooooong piece of frame, really increasing the torque on the welds/bolts.

As for weight, anything with a fiberglass body is going to be lighter. That's as far as my knowledge takes me, though :B

Well, you know, as long as it's an 70s/early 80s RV, I guess we could allow a Ferd.....:B
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
IdahoJamboree wrote:
I will check on the manifold number. No I am not sure if they are the same as older units. From what I can see visually there is no difference.

That casting # should be about 5 inches long or so.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:
Here's one close to me. Want me to look at it for you?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/rvs/395352654.html

Too bad it's a Ford, but what the heck!

Eric

YES!
PW, that might be it. I'd hate to leave the "Dodge Club" before I'm a full member, though. Here, I know where to get parts and good advice...

Leeann,
Thank you and I owe you. Come camping in Ohio, I'll treat to Mohican State Forest, one of the prettiest places ever, right on the river. Snakes, though. When I was a kid, that was one of the "favorite" spots.

Okay, need to know more.
What coaches have 1-pc roofs? Saw an AmClipper (eBay) advertised as having a 1-pc fiberglass roof, this so?
Which coaches got a reputation for leaks?

Tell me about AC replacement. Just in case. Ok, for "when."

Which coaches are the heaviest? Weight is a big issue, I'm going far and towing, why I wanted an Avion, one I looked at weighed 6,400 dry.

What yr did Dodge start using electronic ignition?
Points and breaker plates that I can SEE are ok.
Dogboxes and holding a flashlight in my teeth on Rte 9 in Maine at 10pm ... that's not ok.

And hitches, tell me good and bad.
My dad had a Reese hitch for the Avion, it fit the Merc, the Travelall, and the Ford.
He fabricated (a machinist) what he needed.
I have his lathe and all his handtools. I don't have his ability.

PW, I like that Ford a lot, especially the price so you better take a gander at it for me. But I can't quit this "Dodge Club," you're all awesome.

Many thanks.

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
Trish you say that the New Craftsman tools junk, how new you talking about

Mine are ok, had nothing happen, plus it you break it the replace it for free
jc

New Craftsman tools --socket sets, drill chucks-- are JUNK, stay away!

IdahoJamboree
Explorer
Explorer
I will check on the manifold number. No I am not sure if they are the same as older units. From what I can see visually there is no difference.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
madtiger wrote:
looks easy enough

Like computers, all engines have their own little protocol.
Don't skip any of it.

madtiger wrote:
all I am short is a torque wrench.

Call Auto Zone, Advance Auto, NAPA, CarQuest, or your local "jobber" (independent) and rent what you need.

Torque wrench, compression tester, whatever.... Rent what you need for 2 days so you have time to 'check your work' ...Remember, NEVER believe yourself the first time or think 'it's good enough'.

Used tools for on the road is dead simple and cheap, too.
Estate sales, garage sales, craigslist, flea markets, and your local vocational school HAS to replace all their tools every 20 years and school districts sell them cheap.

Quality handtools (mostly what you'll need) do not wear out.
Brands like MAC, Snap-On, Chicago Tool, Bonney, and *old* Craftsman are good forever.

New Craftsman tools --socket sets, drill chucks-- are JUNK, stay away!
Plastic lined ratchets, plastic check-guts.... no no no.

Dealing with computers is a LOT harder than dealing with things that aren't designed to think for themselves.
Okay, vehicles aren't supposed to be sentient, they are not supposed to have personalities and preferences (I had an old Harley wouldn't run on anything but Champions, go figure); they are not supposed to "know" the difference between Sunoco and Mobil. But they do.

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
Great MT,

Post those numbers when you get'em. Hopefully good ones. Get a vacuum gauge too. If your engine can't suck, it sucks! Plus you can use it for your fuel presure too.

Good Luck!

Ken

madtiger
Explorer
Explorer
The compression ratio on the 360 for that year was (allegedly) 8.5:1. And since I am at altitude, the standard 14.7 PSI won't apply. Since that pressure is about 85% (equating to about 12.5psi) which means that the pressure should be at or around 105 PSI under IDEAL conditions.

I'll get a pressure gauge tonight- providing the weather in Denver doesn't go absolutely nuts as it tends to in late summer.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
IdahoJamboree wrote:
You are talking block casting number?

Pretty sure he means the casting number on the manifold. You sure they aren't the same as earlier units?
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

IdahoJamboree
Explorer
Explorer
You are talking block casting number?

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
IdahoJamboree wrote:
Hello everyone. I have been enjoying the posts and information in this thread. I still need some help on finding a replacement right exhaust manifold (as you sit in the vehicle) for my 1981 Dodge with a 440. I can find up to 1978 but I am having trouble after that. Again, thanks for your help in the past your ideas have saved me time and trouble.

What is the casting # ?