cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
TerryC>>> Holley sells after market fuel injections and so edelbrok, mine is the Holley 670 CFM 2D Projection TBI, installs easy and is a great system for older RV's that has a carb, go to Holley.com and check out there systems, you will like how a fuel injection works over a carb, starts better, runs better, better MPG, stops all vapor lock problems if you have any, my stock electronic ignition has not been a problem just the old wiring does need to be upgraded and check for loose grounds.

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
It is true, you get about 5 to 10 more horsepower, I have them on my 1965 comet cyclone.

(Many claim that headers help with both heat and power)

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
1980 was the last year of the 440. You'd have to go aftermarket for the fuel injection.

Many claim that headers help with both heat and power, but I haven't any experience with them. As far as the cam, I'm happy with the original in mine, but if you do need a new one, make sure you look for the Motorhome cam.

One of the major issues with the Mopar electronic ignitions on these is the lack of sufficient ground. They are mounted on a metal plate towards the cab and that plate often is rusty (as are the screws used to mount them). Clean up that plate, use new screws, add a ground strap from one screw directly to the chassis if you'd like. Also, check your ballast resistor and voltage regulator - if they get weak, they pull the other 2 components down with them. The newer replacements are generally tougher than the original ones, too.

Just check all the rubber - fuel lines, brake lines, vacuum lines and all fluids. That motor and chassis were built for heavy-duty delivery truck use.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

TerryC
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the proud owner of a 1979 MB400-based motorhome. It has 89K miles, a 440 V8 with 4bbl (rebuilt at 50K miles). Really good condition for its age. Only a few, minor trim fixes needed. It's a pretty good deal for $2000, I think.

I have a few questions for those familiar with these:

1) Is there a modern-day 440ci engine from which the fuel injection might be salvaged and installed on my 1978 unit? ...or is there another way to go to fuel-injected?

2) What other upgrades would help torque/power/economy? (Turbo, headers, cam, etc.)?

3) Are there aftermarket electronic ignition modules that last longer than the Mopar ones? (My parents had a 440 Dodge MH when I was growing up. The ignition modules died and left us on the side of the road more than once. Dad finally went to an older, points-type distributor to get some reliability.)

4) Any other information I should know about this chassis/engine for the road ahead?

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
1975 Dodge Sportsman American Clipper, that what my front end is, cool huh

Perrye wrote:
Dodge Distro

I have a 1976 Dodge Sportsman Four Winds Class C that I just bought.

I am learning about it now and may ask folks on this distro some stupid questions.

Thanks, Perry

cowboy450
Explorer
Explorer
1976 Tioga, 360. I just bought this and am in the process of fixing it up. The fuel tank sending unit is bad if anyone can suggest a cheap one. Also have to replace the tires. The motor sounds fine so I am looking forward to my first trip in it.
I wanted to add that I found my sending unit at in case anyone else needs one: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?SiteID=213674. I am also single and looking for a copilot if there are any women out there.
Country people may not polish their boots often but they don't polish anyone else's either.

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I'm starting with:
1977 (Dodge B300) 'Brittany' 23RB (rear bath I assume)class C. It's pretty standard I think: 360 2bbl,3spd auto, dash air, original 8 track! Layout is similar to this Lazy Daze floorplan
Made by a company called Wellington Manufacturing of 51477 Bittersweet Rd, Granger IN. Anybody know anything about this defunct company ?

I've started posting my progress on the rebuild here for anyone who's interested.

Perrye
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge Distro

I have a 1976 Dodge Sportsman Four Winds Class C that I just bought.

I am learning about it now and may ask folks on this distro some stupid questions.

Thanks, Perry

nodakotaclassc
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking into getting an Air Conditioner and Generator this summer. I only end up using the dodge a few times a year, but I would like to be comfortable anywhere we end up. I was just going to see if anyone has had to do these up-grades and what combination works good. I have been researching the 'kipor vs. honda' posts for a few weeks and don't even know if either is right for me. Also, is there any way to run the A/C as we're rolling down the highway? Any advise would really help.

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for it.

duluthrver wrote:
Hi All...newbie here, both to the forum and rving.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1977 Dodge Brougham Coach.

The asking price is $2,500. Is that too much?

The Rv seems in OK condition...Needs new tires all the way around...and I have no idea how much that will cost.

Your ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
so far my RV dodge 1975 American Clipper is on the road for some spring fun, so let go RVing, LOL

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
75Americanclipper wrote:
well, well this is the first time ever,

timmac wrote:
Maybe you double post or you are just repeating yourself like you are now...

LOL ...it would be a DELIGHT .... if macNutz would double-post ... with some info that was correct !

duluthrver
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All...newbie here, both to the forum and rving.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1977 Dodge Brougham Coach.

The asking price is $2,500. Is that too much?

The Rv seems in OK condition...Needs new tires all the way around...and I have no idea how much that will cost.

Your ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

nodakotaclassc
Explorer
Explorer
1979 Dodge Rockwood, 27'. Love my rv, and enjoy reading everyone's posts. I worked on mine a lot last summer, and plan on doing much more as soon as the weather permits. Many of my questions have already been answered, so I am excited to pull it out of storage. Anyone from the North Dakota area?

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
zydyne, check coachmans website for a manual. They also told me over the phone that the manual was unavailable and I found a reprint on their site for my 73. Also check e-bay, I found a factory issued service manual on there. Also try a google search. may take some time but you may get lucky there also.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]