cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
Ballenxj wrote:
Leeann wrote:
Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and will have a Happy and Safe New Yearโ€™s!

Merry Christmas Leeann, and wishing you a Happy New Year!
Kind of quiet around here lately. :?

I hope you guys had a great Christmas! Our son bought us a Keurig-type coffee maker for the Monaco, along with a box of Duncan Donuts K-Cups. Iโ€™ve been wanting to get a good used Black & Decker Spacemaker, but I guess thatโ€™s no longer on my list. Iโ€™m still dealing with the lawsuit from the accident last year...supposedly weโ€™re near a settlement with the other guyโ€™s insurance company...so far the medical bills are at just over $53,000. Pain and suffering is still undetermined, until we know what his max coverage is. In the end, it still doesnโ€™t replace a low-mileage Z06 Vette.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
2005 Monaco LaPalma 37PST
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leeann wrote:
Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and will have a Happy and Safe New Yearโ€™s!

Merry Christmas Leeann, and wishing you a Happy New Year!
Kind of quiet around here lately. :?
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
StingrayL82 wrote:

I didnโ€™t even want to know where the Monroeโ€™s were made.

I don't blame you. It seems like nothing is made in the U.S. anymore. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
Ballenxj wrote:
StingrayL82 wrote:
As promised, a few days late, here are the pics of the original Mopar shocks, front and rear, respectively.

Better late than never. They certainly look used up, but at least they were made in The U.S.A. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I didnโ€™t even want to know where the Monroeโ€™s were made.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
StingrayL82 wrote:
As promised, a few days late, here are the pics of the original Mopar shocks, front and rear, respectively.

Better late than never. They certainly look used up, but at least they were made in The U.S.A. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer

Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
Ballenxj wrote:
StingrayL82 wrote:

Shocks are a routine maintenance item. How you can go 44 years, well 41 since I've owned it for three of those years, and the original owner died three years before that....so 38 years without changing the shocks out....Jesus.

That would be 43 or 44. What counts is how long the shocks have been on the vehicle, regardless of who owned it.
Your motorhome ought to ride better than new now, as I'm sure the new ones are probably better than the old ones when they were new.
It sounds like you've gotten a lot accomplished, CONGRATS!

Itโ€™s getting there! There are things I definitely want to change, but thatโ€™ll be down the line.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
StingrayL82 wrote:

Shocks are a routine maintenance item. How you can go 44 years, well 41 since I've owned it for three of those years, and the original owner died three years before that....so 38 years without changing the shocks out....Jesus.

That would be 43 or 44. What counts is how long the shocks have been on the vehicle, regardless of who owned it.
Your motorhome ought to ride better than new now, as I'm sure the new ones are probably better than the old ones when they were new.
It sounds like you've gotten a lot accomplished, CONGRATS!
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
So the front shocks came in today....Monroe 555037 RV shocks. As I suspected, the fronts were also the original Mopars...I'm shaking my head, as I type that. I'm always reminded of the six "P's":

Proper
Planning
Prevents
Pee (substitute the word that rhymes with "Hiss")
Poor
Performance

I'm still hammering away on getting list items checked off. I got the spare tire carrier mounted, ABS glued the black tank dump valve to the tank, started to install new strapping that goes around the black tank as extra support and front shocks are done.

Tomorrow is fixing the exhaust and installing new wiring for the trailer plug. I bought a little Craftsman gasless MIG welder off of Craigslist last year, and I can definitely say that I've gotten my $75 worth that I paid for it. It does a good job for what I need it to do.

I'll get some pics of those Mopar shocks tomorrow. I'm just too pooped now...it's been a long day. On a good note, that Thermo-Quad makes that 360 run like a raped ape, especially when you floor it and hear that trademark moan of the air rushing down those big ole secondaries. ๐Ÿ˜„
Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - I bet it rides a bit better now.

My husband torques as much as he can (in steps) with the ยฝ" torque wrench, then pulls out a 1' pipe to add to the wrench (actually, it's about 5 inches longer, and that's what overlaps on the end of the bar - it's marked) to finish it off - he's done the calculation on what the torque wrench will show with a 2' bar instead of 1".
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
StingrayL82 wrote:

The difference in ride is night and day. The MA746 shocks can be inflated to 150 psi, but the installation paperwork says not to keep the pressure above 120 psi for long periods of time, because it will weaken the mounting bolts; I've got them set to 100 psi and am happy with that.

Tomorrow the Monroe heavy duty RV shocks come in. I'm sure that I'll be happy with the final result, because anything is better than 44 year-old shocks. I haven't looked at the front shocks yet, but I won't be surprised if they're also the original Mopars.

Amazing what a difference a set of new shocks will make, and yes, you should definitely do the fronts as well.
Good job on the bumper as well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sorry, no help on lug nut torque, but I'm sure you'll figure that out.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
Well folks, after three years, the Monaco is ready for her first extended outing. I have been working non-stop every day, to finish up the little nitnoy items that have been on the back burner, but some of the to-do things were must-do's.

Every original hardcopy Monaco brochure I have shows that their coaches came with Monroe air shocks in the rear. Well, I ASSumed that mine had been taken off and replaced with generic shocks at some point, so I ordered a new set of Monroe MA746 MaxAir shocks for the MB300.

Yesterday I pulled out the creeper and rolled underneath to begin replacement. One thing I couldn't find was where the original air line had been run....I searched the entire frame but there was no sign of air line clips or anything remotely resembling the remnants of air shock installation, so I figured they just ripped everything out. On to removing the generic shocks....

Removal was easy, as the bolts were in good shape. First one pulled right off, and I took a look at it....Maeco, hmmmm, never heard of that brand.....so I take it in to the garage and grab the brass wire brush and clean the dirt off......and there I see a Pentastar on the shock......holy ****, not only did the Monaco not originally have Monroe air shocks, it still had the original Mopar shocks that came with the chassis cab from the Warren Truck Plant #3!!!!!

So it's no wonder that the coach felt like it had zero rebound or deflection, the shocks were 44 frickin' years old. Installation of the Monroe MA746's was really easy. You get all new upper hardware, which includes the proper spacer to allow clearance from the frame, as well the necessary hardware to hook up the air. The only complaint I have is that they don't provide enough air line, only 9 feet. I made it work, but sometime in the future I want to get more air line and redo it.

The difference in ride is night and day. The MA746 shocks can be inflated to 150 psi, but the installation paperwork says not to keep the pressure above 120 psi for long periods of time, because it will weaken the mounting bolts; I've got them set to 100 psi and am happy with that.

Tomorrow the Monroe heavy duty RV shocks come in. I'm sure that I'll be happy with the final result, because anything is better than 44 year-old shocks. I haven't looked at the front shocks yet, but I won't be surprised if they're also the original Mopars.

I also painted and welded a new bumper on, because the original owner had hit something so hard that it twisted the old bumper and it was completely unusable. Tonight I figured that, since the bumper looks nice and pretty now, that I had to wire wheel the spare tire carrier and repaint it as well. Plus, I had to weld up a crack, where the spare wheel mounts. Everything is good to go now and the parts are hanging in the garage drying. I'll let them cure for the next couple of days and then reassemble.

No pics, because I just didn't have time, but when I'm completely done, I'll take some pics before I leave to go hunting with my father-in-law. He's decided it's his last year to go (he'll be 78 in January), so this is going to be a special trip.

One question, before I sign off....how are you guys and gals torquing the rear wheel lug nuts to 325 lb/ft????? (I'm splitting the difference between 300 and 350) I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high, so I took it to Discount Tire today, figuring they'd be able to do it, but they were only able to torque them to 225 lb/ft.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
PolCat-76-Avion wrote:
Not necessary but just annoying! Are the dash lights plug in bayonet style or the newer all glass style? Can you reach up and find them from behind?
This is the dash in it.

They are the glass type that fit into a plastic fitting, which is twisted into the circuit board. You'll notice in the pic what I wrote. The reason is because some B-Vans had an idiot light, instead of the oil gauge. Leave it empty.

On edit: Unless you posted a generic picture of a '76 dash, I just noticed in your pic that you have the idiot light. If you do, disregard my earlier statement.

Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

PolCat-76-Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessary but just annoying! Are the dash lights plug in bayonet style or the newer all glass style? Can you reach up and find them from behind?
This is the dash in it.