cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Griff in Fairbanks wrote:
hearseangel wrote:
LOL Leeann! Showed my guy your rig and he immediately started talking about how funny it would be to use two front halves (half shells?) and create a real puzzler.

I happen to know someone who has two front endcaps just laying around unneeded. (Two rears also.) One (set) is from a 1970 Explorer Class A and the other (set) is from a 1973 Explorer Class A.

Yeah, you just have to arrange pickup or shipping from Alaska :R

:B
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
hearseangel wrote:
LOL Leeann! Showed my guy your rig and he immediately started talking about how funny it would be to use two front halves (half shells?) and create a real puzzler.

I happen to know someone who has two front endcaps just laying around unneeded. (Two rears also.) One (set) is from a 1970 Explorer Class A and the other (set) is from a 1973 Explorer Class A.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

hearseangel
Explorer
Explorer

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
What good are you, then???!!!

:B

Not a problem - we have to do it, regardless. I was just wondering what kind of ballpark we were talking about ๐Ÿ˜‰

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leanne, I got nothing for ya on the enging pull bit. Sorry. I didn't have the time, tools, facility or knowledge to pull that off. I dropped it off at a garage and they did the work for me. I dropoped it off on a Monday, and had it back the next week...

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
hearseangel wrote:
Apparently I'm addicted to vehicles that ... are so ugly they're cute.

Have you seen the pic of my rig (in my profile)?

That's the first thing I said when I saw it on eBay (the bf agreed and we bought it). My favorite question to date, though, is "which way is it going?" :B

hearseangel
Explorer
Explorer
Trish,

Thank you, I did actually read through the brakes posts and have dutifully pointed them out to my wrench boy, as that is one thing we have to do before moving it out of the PO's yard. Hopefully it has dried out enough by next weekend that we don't sink to the axles making all of it a moot point. Distributor and rims noted as well and added to the list. Wow. It's a big list.

We both actually have a deep abiding affection for junkyards already, since we each have classic Cadillac hearses. He has a 1961 Miller, and a 1961 Superior. Mine is a '73 Superior, which is almost the same size as this rig. And also referred to as a coach oddly enough. The '73 is giant and square, and much like this rv, has a face only a mother could love. Apparently I'm addicted to vehicles that rarely fit within the typical parking space and are so ugly they're cute. But they're great fun to take your driving test in. >:)

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
Trish Davis wrote:
Goatmaiden wrote:

I actually found a place that has a remanufactured 440 MH engine with a 3 year warrenty (1 year parts and labor). What do you think?

What place?
Find out all you can about them online.
Run a search "by state" of any Attorney General complaints.

It's your money and it's your rig, ASK!

Good advice. They are a Better Business Bureau Accredited facility and have had no complaints issued for the past 36 months. Plus, they were refered by the guy who worked on the carb. Really helps to know people.
1978 23' C class KIT ROADRANGER
Dodge 440

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
hearseangel wrote:
And this is my new baby...

That is so ugly. I love it.
hehehe... you have to look for the pictures of mine to really appreciate what ugly is...

hearseangel wrote:
Any information or advice would be most welcome.

Brakes.
Search this thread for "Griff" and "brakes," starts about p. 160.
Very detailed on how to avoid losing them. Simple and cheap.

Change to an aftermarket distributor and lose the points.
I got a Petronix for as much as I paid for my floor = $0. (Read it and weep, Eric....)

Wheels. You probably have split rims. I do, too, and replacing them is VERY spendy --$1400. Learn to love the junkyards.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Goatmaiden wrote:

I actually found a place that has a remanufactured 440 MH engine with a 3 year warrenty (1 year parts and labor). What do you think?

What place?
Find out all you can about them online.
Run a search "by state" of any Attorney General complaints.

It's your money and it's your rig, ASK!

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:

... The PO (aka Previous Owner) didn't change the oil regularly and you've got sludge and dirt, which probably clogged a few (or more) holes in the motor, keeping oil from getting to main bearings, rod bearings, everything. Without lubrication, it'll seize. Coolant because an engine that has overheated has had a lot of stress put on it and possibly has warped metal that will prevent proper sealing or proper operation, depending where the heat damage is.

I totally agree, which is why I'm leaning towards the remanufactured. I don't think I trust myself enough to judge the soundness of an engine.
Dodge 440

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oil, first and foremost.

Just because you only drive it 4000 miles per year (give or take) doesn't mean you only change the oil once per year. Especially change it before you store it for the winter...and run it at least once a month up to operating temp. while it's stored (this makes sure oil is everywhere in the motor it should be and water is nowhere it shouldn't be). After storage, change it again. Somewhere in the middle of the usable months, change it again.

Oh, and before you pull the drain plug, get 'er up to operating temp again - this gets more of the oogies (yes, Trish, that is a technical term!) out of the engine and does a more complete drain.

Next? Coolant
Make sure you FLUSH the******out of the radiator and hoses, then fill with the proper mixture of coolant and water. Make sure your thermostat is the correct one (180ยบ to 190ยบ, in the case of the 440-3 - original spec was 185ยบ) - with a wide flange - and is operating correctly.

Then, Transmission fluid and filter
They've likely never been changed on your rig. They hadn't been on ours. I've changed them twice now and will change them again shortly (since it's impossible to drain the torque converter without pulling the whole tranny). Each time, the fluid's looked and smelled better afterwards.

After that? Valve cover gaskets, belts, hoses, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ballast resistor, ignition module, voltage regulator, coil, brake fluid (it absorbs water with age and loses its ability to stop you - flush out the old, dark stuff and suck in new, clean, clear stuff), grease all your grease fittings....general routine maintenance.

I say oil, first and foremost, because I'm betting that was your problem. The PO (aka Previous Owner) didn't change the oil regularly and you've got sludge and dirt, which probably clogged a few (or more) holes in the motor, keeping oil from getting to main bearings, rod bearings, everything. Without lubrication, it'll seize. Coolant because an engine that has overheated has had a lot of stress put on it and possibly has warped metal that will prevent proper sealing or proper operation, depending where the heat damage is.

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:

To be honest, if the engine's been taken care of, it'll last forever. So if the used one you found starts and runs (and sounds good), that probably would be fine.

As far as TCO, what do you feel that entales? We definitely don't want this to happen again (P.S. I will let you know what it turns out to be.)
Dodge 440

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
How much are they asking? Is it really reman'd to MH (440-3) specs or did they put in the car stuff (-1)?

To be honest, if the engine's been taken care of, it'll last forever. So if the used one you found starts and runs (and sounds good), that probably would be fine.

Goatmaiden
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:

Best part? He still drove for the rest of the summer! He simply poured free drain oil over the top of the open engine, and drove it until it over-heated, let it cool down enough to start up again, and continue on!

Not the best thing for the environment, but that darned car kept working, even broken that badly!

That is pretty hillarious.
Dodge 440