cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How old of a class c?

Domromer
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are getting serious about getting class C. We have been mostly looking at rv trader and craigslist. We'd like to spend between 20-30k on a used unit and under 30ft would be ideal as it's just the two of us and our dogs.

I tend to buy all my vehicles used but less than 4 years old. For me that's the sweet spot in used vehicles. In terms of rvs I don't have much knowledge as to how they age. I'm finding a lot of rvs from around 1999 that seem quite affordable and have low mileage. Now I'd never buy a car that old but an rv with only 30k miles has me thinking. Im not looking for a fixer upper or something is is going to need a lot of preventive maintenance. I'd prefer to be on the road and not sitting at the repair shop. Your thoughts?

Dom
12 REPLIES 12

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a 1998 Four Winds 5000 22rk (rear kitchen). I purchased ours for $14k nice inside and out. Came with with new Firestone LT tires and new batteries, and 36,500 miles on it, with a V-10,and no leaks. Came with all the manuals for everything, but actual MH operation.

Now the MH was only eight miles down the road when I bought it off Craigslist. When I drove it, I knew there was a handling problem, steering was way to lite. There were people standing in line when I bought it, felt lucky.

This was last September. Sine then I have invested another $4,000 in preventive maintenance of items at my request, and mechanics found bad tie rod ends and a leaky pinion seal. Steering is fine now. I've upgraded the converter to a three stage, radio to new do everything, backup camera, and new high profile toilet.

So, be prepared to invest more then the purchase price, at least a thousand or more in tax and license. But, I would drive it, and inspect for leaks. The one I bought was garaged and I also garage it, and continue to look for modifications. We get 9 mpg in the mountains, and 11 mpg on the flat. Hope this helps with the reality of older MH's. One nice thing and a reason we bought it: Is we can park just about anywhere. We've had five TT and two MH's. Both MH's have been short to allow better access where ever we go.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find an older one that has been garage kept when not in use, they
can be a nice find.

Brian

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are looking in the right places. Don't forget about Ebay either!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I believe there are plenty of late 90's motor homes that have plenty of life left in them. I have one, a 24' 1997 Coachmen with 56,000 miles , that I'll be selling whenever I can get my son to paint it (I've been waiting for over a year now :R)
There are tons of motor homes still running around that are much older than that. For your 20-30K you should be able to get something a bunch of years newer than late 90's. I agree with what was posted earlier that a late 90's, in good shape, should in most cases be in the 10-15K range, maybe less.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dom,

As Grump said, you can do better than that.

Among the things to roll into your spreadsheet with this operation is that even if the vehicle has only been driven 15K miles, a lot of the rubber parts will be shot. This does not mean just tires. Tires are a given, plan on replacing the set. It also includes all the hoses, belts and things like the rubber brake line and maybe some wheel cylinders. Don't go anywhere without flushing both the brake fluid and the coolant.

Other thing, if you see any evidence of water leakage, walk away. It will be a money loser even if it is a gift.

Remember, what you are looking at is a truck with a travel trailer (read less than code house) stuck on it.

Can you even get a good old coach? Sure, I know lots of people that have them. Mine is over 40, but there is also a running line in our group.... A reliable ready to travel coach will coat 25K$. All at once or as a kit..... It seems to prove right most of the time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
You and your better half need to figure out just what you need, and what your plans are. If it's just the two of you and no plans to have guests with you, than you might not need a cab-over bunk. Look at the Forrest River Lexington's, Winnie Aspect, Coachman Concord or similar units. They'll have front entertainment centers, a seamless fiberglass front cap, and usually a one piace fiberglass roof which will eliminate most of the leak problems.
Guests, kids or grandkids, your probably going to need a cab-over bunk.
If your planning on long trips, slide-outs will give you extra room for those days your stuck inside.
Boondocking---do you want a generator?
Settle on the type of unit your looking for, rather than "just a class C" and keep looking in the RV Trader, Camping World Used RV lists, Craig List, ect.
Wife and I looked for 4 month's on RV Trader till we found what we were looking for, via a private seller. Drove 250 miles to get it but it was worth it.
Grumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Domromer wrote:
I don't think I'd go the rental route...I know how I drive a rental.....

at the next NASCAR race you go to, check out how many folding chairs with occupants can fit on the roof of a rental 28 footer. 🙂
bumpy

Domromer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I'd go the rental route...I know how I drive a rental.....

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ten + year old RV's with fairly low mileage are a large red flag. These units have been used very little and ignored a lot. Pumps, bells and whistles do far better if they are used on a regular basis. Whatever you get serious about check the manufacture dates of the tires as they time out at about 6 years vs the actual miles on them. A new set of shoes for a C is $1200 to $1500. If you find even the tiniest hint of water damage "Run Forrest Run!"

The bottom line always comes down to getting what you pay for. While not a fan of buy a rental many here are. I've just seen way too much abuse by renters to ever consider buying a rental. The good news is there are lots of very nice C's out there so take your time and enjoy the process. Good luck!

:C

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
look at google to also craigs list in all states find one in a warm climate ,they seem to be in better shape than the snow area, there out there just siting in a garage waiting to be discovered.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks like ex rentals and have nothing but good to say about them.
9 years and 55k miles ago, we bought a 4 year old unit with 5k, have had zero problems.

I would say if you plan to keep the rig forever, and rack up a lot of miles, in my opinion starting newer with fewer miles is a good idea. Rather than a high milage ex rental.

I agree that 3 to 4 years old is the sweet spot

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the RV Trader and punch up used class c motorhomes in the 20-30 thousand range, 2005-2010. I just did and found quite a few. Granted, a lot of em are prior rental's but their usuall fairly well maintained. May not have all the bells n whistles, but their also not 15 years old. Don't really think I would look at something that's 15 years old unless it was in the 10-15 thousand range.
Grumpy