cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to figure out “Used” DP Coach Prices?

HOM
Explorer
Explorer
Here are four (4) American Heritage coaches and Four (4) Newmar Essex coaches that are currently on the market. They are all 45’ - all have the same drive-train and all are said to be in excellent shape. Here are the coaches;

2006 American Heritage bath & half - 4 slides - 50,600 miles $279,900
2006 American Heritage bath & half - 4 slides - 30,700 miles $209,900
2006 American Heritage bath & half - 4 slides - 32,000 miles $239,800
2006 American Heritage bath & half - 4 slides - 51,200 miles $341,800
NADA American Heritage NADA low price is $279,440

2006 45’ Newmar Essex bath & half - 4 slides - 52,000 miles $213,900
2006 45’ Newmar Essex bath & half - 4 slides - 30,000 miles $275,900
2006 45’ Newmar Essex bath & half - 4 slides - 18,000 miles $254,800
2006 45’ Newmar Essex bath & half - 4 slides - 33,800 miles $189,900
NADA Newmar Essex low price is $206,220

Why such $ differences? I understand that some may have satellite and other upgrades but how big a deal is that? A satellite is of no interest to me so if its tacked on to the price as far as I'm concerned its a negative.

A friend of mine bought a Jeep Rubicon and tricked it out with new tires, rims and you name it and he did it. When he goes to sell it he will very possibly not get a dime back for all he added. He knows that too but its what he wanted.

If you add a bunch of stuff to the base price of a motorhome, do you get it back or is it more like the Rubicon? An American Heritage is an American Heritage right? Sure you can hang things here and put things there but is it not still a American Heritage or a Newmar King Aire?

With above coaches the mileage doesn’t make a difference, not with a diesel. So what establishes such a difference in price as we see above because again, “it’s an American Heritage” or a Newmar King Aire!

So how do you figure out what price to start with when you’re negotiating to purchase a coach. Especially when one is so much more expensive from the other? I mean if the asking price is $209,900 and you offer $189,900 you’ve taken $20,000 off asking price. But if a like coach as shown above has an asking price of $341,800 and you offer $189,900 that's $152,000 difference. How do you reconcile something like that? How do you determine a fair and reasonable starting price? And a fair and reasonable asking price for that matter?

HJ
21 REPLIES 21

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Most do not know how to use the NADA guide.
Sellers go in and mark all the equipment the coach has, instead of seeing what the
" standard " equipment is and then adding.
Best way is to go in and do not mark any " extras "
The low number will give you the best idea of what it is worth, from a dealer that is.
There are coaches on the internet that have been for sale for over 2 years because they are so rediculously overpriced, due to the NADA error. Also, NADA guide is for dealers. Private parties seem to use it as their baseline too since the $ amount is higher.
Best price is what you are willing to pay for it.
If it is a diesel, there is no mileage entered. The very top line by the mileage box says that.
Good luck
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Options, condition, and very much that person's opinion of where he wants to start negotiations. And of course, some people think they should be able to recoup most all of their investment.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Asking prices are what the seller would like to get. Most of the time they are as clueless as the buyers. There may be little or no difference in equipment or condition, for the spread you see in asking prices. Location can make a difference, markets are local, just as for houses. But because you can drive a RV away from the location, I would offer no more than the asking price of the cheapest for any in each group.

That's the strategy I used earlier this year to buy a van at the lowest price. The same thing in another market determined what I was willing to pay to get it more locally.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

HOM
Explorer
Explorer
Hi smlranger,

I wasn't comparing the Heritage to the Essex because you're right they do not match up. I was just using two very good coaches in the example.

Plus the King Aire and London Aire where not built in 2006.

HJ

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the comments about coach condition, evidence of required maintenance, etc. Also agree that NADA low retail is good place to start.

From what we saw in our search for a nice used coach last year, I believe the Heritage of that era would more closely compare to the Newmar King Aire (or London Air of that era). Comparing an Essex to a Heritage is not entirely logical IMO, since the Heritage is American's top of the line coach and the Essex was not the same for Newmar.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I use NADA low retail and go from there. The asking price may be inflated by a hopeful owner or a dealir that paid too much. I'm not familiar with those coaches but there are some options that add to the price. Aquahot upgrades , larger engines than standard and such. Again NADA or get a list of options from manufacturer or old brochures.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
2006 is 8 years old. At this point, it is all about condition. If one was rode hard, it might not show as well. We bought a 2005 last year that looked and acted brand new. I read about others just like ours on these forums with lots of problems we do not have. So maybe that is part of it.
Also, if these are private sales, the owners might owe this much yet on their coaches.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad