cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to flat tow an AWD SUV?

Nixonrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 38 ft Monaco Knight with 330 Cummins Diesel. I have towed using a car hauler in the past for my car, but I need to tow a bigger vehicle so the while family can fit in it once we are at our destination.

I have a 2007. AWD Cadillac Escalade with 95k miles on it.

This is my question. I think the Main issue with towing the AWD is that there is no oil pump on when the engine is off.

What if I simply leave my car in Neutral and leave the engine running while I am pulling it behind the Motorhome ? That should keep the transmission and transfer case lubed right?

I am only going a total of 250 miles to get to my destination for my son's baseball tournament, the. We will use the SUV for about 3 days and the hook it back up and return home.

Do you think this will work? Just leave the engine running and in neutral. I will probably stop after a couple hours and check on it..... It's less than a 5 hour trip anyway.

Please let me know your thoughts. It is out of warranty so not worried about that. I already have a blue on tow system for it.

I really would prefer to flat tow and looking for a work around that I will probably only use a few times a year and never more than 300 a 400 miles

Thanks!
37 REPLIES 37

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
just going to hook up the escalade and tow it idling? how is he going to hook it up? with rope? the cost of a base plate installed? lash down the steering wheel? tow a car with engine running and power steering engaged? Put on a brake buddy? Better set it at 2# or so or wheel lock up will occur with power brakes engaged. my leg hurts from being pulled so hard. I sure hope this was a joke.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

RayPayne
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen someone with an AWD Suburban install Warn manual hubs so they could flat tow it. I only saw it parked when I pulled off the highway for fuel, but perhaps that is an option. I'm assuming of course it was AWD since I couldn't see the point of putting 4 manual hubs on an SUV if you could just put the transfer case in neutral.
2007 Winnebago Access 29T
2009 Jetta TDI Toad

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Find the oil pressure diagrams for your transmission, and see what the oil flow is in Neutral. I have seen some diagrams that show NO or minimal oil flow in neutral! No, I don't know about the tranny in a Cadillac, but it would be wise to check it! Having bearing turning without lubrication would not be a good thing!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
can probably drive the car down for the cost of the base plate and installation, etc.
bumpy

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I second renting something when you get there ... Like a van or SUV that will accommodate your family. Why worry about destroying the transmission in the Caddy, I bet it would cost way more then a car rental until you figure this out. Then nobody needs to follow you either. Unless the world will end without the Caddy in tow I don't understand why you won't consider that option.

Nixonrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys. So I need the Escalde, which is just a Tahoe with a few more options, to carry around the 4 kids I have along with my wife and I while Down at the baseball tournament.

I definitely don't just have money to spend or I would just stay at a hotel or condo while there. I bought my escalade for under $30k when it had 40k miles and 3 years old.....so cost me the same as a Tahoe...... I just got a good deal.

Anyway sorry for the rant, I wanted to see if it was possible to tow it or if too much trouble I could have my wife drive it down but not first choice as driving in the Motorhome as a family is part of the fun and memories.

Plus saving on the gas would be nice as well.

I do appreciate everyone's responses though. I have owned the Motorhome for 3 years now and used to just hook up my jeep wrangler..... But then along came our 4 th kid and not enough room. So now we have a car and the SUV

Anyway it looks like it could work, but might be more of a risk and hassle than it is worth.

Good to hear others have done it before though as lots of baseball in our future with three boys 11 and under!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting... I always thought AWD could not be towed 4Down but guess I forgot about Cadillac and how the name used to mean "Quality, Well Built"

Go here http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php and enter the year make, model and "Drive" (2wd, 4wd, AWD, choose awd from the dropdown)

It says you can tow it with the LP-1 Lube pump kit (1500-2000 installed includes your tow lights by the way).

SO if you can tow it with the LP-1.. odds are good you can tow it engine idling, HOWEVER. i'd be scared of what all that idling does to the engine, epically in a high grit/dirt environment which is where it lives when it is being towed. (I sometimes have to dump a bucket of water on my windshield to rinse the grit off before I unhook that is how dirty the "Towed" position is)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, read his post and the OP got a lot of real good information. However, don't know why the OP posed his original question, regardless of miles, because the more you read his posts the more it appears to come down to "having his Escalade" with him, which it appears he is going to do one way or the other. So why post the question to start, his mind was made up before his fingers hit the keyboard.

hardtobe
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
It appears the OP has money to burn which certainly is his prerogative. Stuck on having their "Escalade" come heck or high water. Why wouldn't he/they just buy something that can be flat towed such as a Jeep?

because its a one time thing if u care to read his post and its only 250 miles.

hardtobe
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
"cautious driving leaving plenty of room to brake" is just self-deception. No matter how cautious you are, you cannot control what others do. There is no telling when another driver will pull in front of you, run a red light in front of you, or have a blowout in front of you. You need to be able to stop in all types of unexpected circumstances, unless you don't mind killing yourself or somebody else.

MRUSA your hijacking the thread here.The Op asked about if he could tow his AWD gm with engine ideling and in neutral.He never asked about how to drive??and how to stop safely etc?

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
It appears the OP has money to burn which certainly is his prerogative. Stuck on having their "Escalade" come heck or high water. Why wouldn't he/they just buy something that can be flat towed such as a Jeep?

McZippie
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
Why don't you just rent a car at the tournament destination? When you factor in gas, wear and tear and the possibility of the unknown you may be better off and with less expense.

Why doesn't he just sell the motor home and fly to the tournament then rent a new SUV.
Factor in the gas, wear and tear etc... 🙂

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would tow it with the engine running. You wont have a problem. I seen it done before. Besides, I sure that 330 Cummins will pull that SUV even if it was upside down on its roof.

Nixonrv
Explorer
Explorer
I may just have the wife drive it down. I was just trying to be creative with how I could tow it down. With Remco having a pump for it, it seems like others have done it before. I may just wait to have the pump installed so we can tow it whenever we want without worry.

I must admit I am still a bit tempted to tow it though!

Thank you everyone for your responses! Exactly the info I was looking for..... bith the pros and cons!

l