cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove state decals stuck all over the outside

Stephen2753
Explorer
Explorer
We just took possession of our first RV, and it has at least 20 state decals plastered to it. I would like to remove, anybody have any suggestions as to what to use besides elbow grease?

Thank you
16 REPLIES 16

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best I've found for sticker/goo removal is DeSolvit. Similar to Goo Gone, but works better IMO.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pure lemon oil has worked on every kind of glue/goo/sticky stuff I have tried it on so far.

With any kind of goo cleaner, wipe INWARD, towards the center of the goo, not outward as your natural instincts will want you to. That just spreads the goo.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I took off the peeling wallpaper trim in the kitchen area. It was not regular wallpaper paste but gooey like contact paper. I used goo gone and elbow grease but it was a huge chore. Fabric softener works on wallpaper paste but not on that gunk.
I want to remove the cracking decals on our RV but waiting until I feel like it. ha ha. I am going to try that drill operated "eraser" though.
Inside, ours had a map of the USA but the former owner trimmed out the wallpaper at that site and put up pictures. Just one of those quirky things about someone else's RV. Some folks find it fun to collect stickers, some prefer a more sedated appearance.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am removing the shower hide-a screen from my coach and they taped the moldings on.Good gracious this tape is tough. Goo gone, WD-40, steam gun yikes!. Nothing really works.

I am softening the mess with soap and rubbing it with a rag and coarse paper towels.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:
3M makes a decal remover wheel that can be attached to a drill, I just can't remember what it's called. Try "Ghost Off" for the final removal, although it's possible you'll always see the ghost of decals past.

Like this one I have used with success in removing pinstripes.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
3M makes a decal remover wheel that can be attached to a drill, I just can't remember what it's called. Try "Ghost Off" for the final removal, although it's possible you'll always see the ghost of decals past.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Stephen2753
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all....I will try these and let you know how they work out.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Be careful with goo gone. It will go through paint.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Those "moteyhome" stickers look "cornball" to me and they are a mess to remove.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure washer will peel decals no problem. Follow up with some goo gone to remove adhesive remains.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I've had really good luck with Turtle wax Label and Sticker Remover.

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
WD 40!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just removed huge decals from a race car. I found that the usual products caused the glue to ball up even though it eventually removed them. I had some hand wipes that come pre-

moistened with orange oil and I added some of the liquid remover to them and the coarseness of the cloth was the key. Rubbing the glue with goo remover and all those types and a

cotton cloth was too time consuming. They have shop hand towels now that are blue and they are excellent also. The warmer the day the better they come off.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heat gun or hair dryer