cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HWH controller questions...

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a HWH Series 310 Leveling and Room Extension system in my '02 Winnie Journey DL and I'm having trouble finding much info about it via google. There does not appear to be a PDF of the Operator's Manual number ML25277 online anywhere. Even from HWH's website for documents. I find lots of 310 manuals, but none of them have my control panel with a jackrabbit icon shown.

I know it exists because I have a printed copy. I was looking for a PDF for my files as the printed copy is getting a little worse for wear.

Does anyone have a link to a HWH Series 310 PDF showing the controller faceplate with the jackrabbit icon? I need the entire book, not just the two pages on operation of the system (I have that already).

And a followup question. When I press that Jackrabbit button, is the RV suppose to do something? Make a hissing noise and drop a couple inches? Or will the RV lift up a couple inches when I'm leaving the campground after the low air pressure light goes out? It doesn't seem to do anything right now.

Thanks!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
12 REPLIES 12

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon, a close cousin to yours.

I press the jackrabbit switch once the jacks have retracted and the Low Air warning has gone off. If the pressure is high enough you will see one gauge drop (mine is the front gauge) and the suspension will start to fill and the coach will start to rise. The other gauge will not keep increasing until they are equal then they will both rise to max.

If you press early, just after the warning buzzer stops, or just after the jacks are retracted you may not see any change and both air tanks will fill at the same time. It will seem slower as the bags fill.

If the jack rabbit switch is NOT pressed, the air suspension will NOT fill until you put the transmission into gear. Then you will see one gauge drop then rise until the suspension has come up.

Also make sure you don't turn the control panel off before hitting the bunny. On occasion I have found that the bags did not fill, which is why now I wait until the air pressure is approaching 80 psi or so. Then when I see the pressure falling I know that the bags are inflating.

Thank you! I could not for the life of me figure out what the users manual was telling me about the operation of the bunny. But I followed your explanation and my air gauges behaved appropriately. I've never had a calibrated butt so I didn't notice any difference in height or ride, but it seems to be working ok, and for that I'm happy.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I am use to starting my old Bounder, pressing the jacks down button, throwing it in gear and driving off. This new routine of waiting for the air pressure to build is new to me. I have done it that way the last few starts though. But I seldom press the bunny button as I'm taking off.

I'm going to really concentrate and pay attention next road trip. I am pretty sure I've seen that drop in pressure from one gauge while driving although I did not press the bunny. So based on your description, that's a good sign. Another couple good signs are the comfortable ride, and both air gauges showing over 100 PSI while traveling.

Thanks for the input.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon, a close cousin to yours.

I press the jackrabbit switch once the jacks have retracted and the Low Air warning has gone off. If the pressure is high enough you will see one gauge drop (mine is the front gauge) and the suspension will start to fill and the coach will start to rise. The other gauge will not keep increasing until they are equal then they will both rise to max.

If you press early, just after the warning buzzer stops, or just after the jacks are retracted you may not see any change and both air tanks will fill at the same time. It will seem slower as the bags fill.

If the jack rabbit switch is NOT pressed, the air suspension will NOT fill until you put the transmission into gear. Then you will see one gauge drop then rise until the suspension has come up.

Also make sure you don't turn the control panel off before hitting the bunny. On occasion I have found that the bags did not fill, which is why now I wait until the air pressure is approaching 80 psi or so. Then when I see the pressure falling I know that the bags are inflating.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
gfs1943 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Look through these for the jacks.

HWH manual list

I did. None of them match.

dougrainer wrote:
The Bunny is a Travel indicator you push to put the suspension in travel mode. This is a Winne ONLY system. When it is lit you are safe to go. When you search HWH's website, sometimes you MUST search the OEM specific part. Doug

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml19516.pdf

http://www.hwhcorp.com/operators43.html

YES! Doug, I owe you a prize. The 2nd link has nothing I can use, but the first link is my system. Not the same ML number, but it's got everything I'm looking for on my system, including the handles on the hydraulic valves.

Thanks!

But...to reiterate my earlier question...when I push the bunny, what's supposed to happen? Will it be obvious?

BTW, The booklet I have doesn't say anything about any bunny related 'light'. So, I don't know what this means, "When it is lit you are safe to go.". When what is lit?

Sorry, it does not light up. The 2nd link shows ALL the Winne HWH operator manuals. I was not sure which specific system you had. There are a few 310 manuals on that 2nd link. All the manual says is push the Bunny and the RV will get to travel height. I guess that means it makes sure the Air Bag solenoids are closed and the Air suspension raises to travel height. Since I rarely work on Winne/Itasca, that Bunny is a Winne ONLY touchpad. Doug

"The suspension will stay in the dump mode until the park
brake is released or the "TRAVEL" button is pushed, if the
ignition is in the "ON" or "ACC" position".

In this case the Bunny is the Travel button.

X2. In normal operation, after jacks are retracted, the air bags don't inflate until you release the parking brake. But if you have the jacks retracted and air pressure is built up, and you're ready to go, push the Bunny (Travel button) and the suspension will inflate. Your Rear air pressure will drop while this is happening. When the suspension is inflated, the Rear air pressure comes back up. That's when I know the coach is ready to travel, so I release the parking brake and I'm on my way. Whoops -- make sure everything else is ready to go -- you're unplugged from external electric and water, everything is stowed, etc.

BTW, I use the HWH manual ML20013 for my system; it's probably the same as yours.

Thanks, everyone. I'm not sure my air bags are inflating in the way it's been mentioned by you guys. I can't tell if anything is happening as far as the suspension goes. I do wait for the air pressure to come up, but I've only driven the rig a couple times when all the jacks were fully retracted. However, I haven't noticed any difference in ride. It's nice and smooth with very little road bumping transmitted into the cockpit. So I don't think I have a problem, just curious what is suppose to happen when I push the bunny button. A noticeable drop? How about when I'm leaving a RV park, will I sense the rig lifting?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
enblethen wrote:

HWH manual list

dougrainer wrote:
The Bunny is a Travel indicator you push to put the suspension in travel mode. This is a Winne ONLY system. When it is lit you are safe to go. When you search HWH's website, sometimes you MUST search the OEM specific part. Doug

YES! Doug, I owe you a prize. The 2nd link has nothing I can use, but the first link is my system. Not the same ML number, but it's got everything I'm looking for on my system, including the handles on the hydraulic valves.

Thanks!

But...to reiterate my earlier question...when I push the bunny, what's supposed to happen? Will it be obvious?

BTW, The booklet I have doesn't say anything about any bunny related 'light'. So, I don't know what this means, "When it is lit you are safe to go.". When what is lit?

Sorry, it does not light up. The 2nd link shows ALL the Winne HWH operator manuals. I was not sure which specific system you had. There are a few 310 manuals on that 2nd link. All the manual says is push the Bunny and the RV will get to travel height. I guess that means it makes sure the Air Bag solenoids are closed and the Air suspension raises to travel height. Since I rarely work on Winne/Itasca, that Bunny is a Winne ONLY touchpad. Doug

X2. In normal operation, after jacks are retracted, the air bags don't inflate until you release the parking brake. But if you have the jacks retracted and air pressure is built up, and you're ready to go, push the Bunny (Travel button) and the suspension will inflate. Your Rear air pressure will drop while this is happening. When the suspension is inflated, the Rear air pressure comes back up. That's when I know the coach is ready to travel, so I release the parking brake and I'm on my way. Whoops -- make sure everything else is ready to go -- you're unplugged from external electric and water, everything is stowed, etc.

BTW, I use the HWH manual ML20013 for my system; it's probably the same as yours.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jim@HiTek wrote:
enblethen wrote:

HWH manual list

dougrainer wrote:

Thanks!

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Push the Bunny after you get the light showing that the leveling jacks have fully retracted (all jacks red lights go off). Pushing the Bunny inflates all the air bags to proper ride height.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

HWH manual list

dougrainer wrote:

Thanks!

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

HWH manual list

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Check here first, if no joy, call HWH directly:

Winnebago may also have a copy on-line.

Yeah, none of those are the right booklet, I've already researched them all.

Seems strange they'd have all those Op manuals listed, but not have mine.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Check here first, if no joy, call HWH directly:

Winnebago may also have a copy on-line.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240