cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hypothetical Question about a Chassis

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
If you had your choice in ordering a, say, 25-26' class C, whatever brand, would you do an E350 or 450 chassis all things being equal. No special weight carrying requirement, both V-10, and why?

Personally I'd rather do a Chevy 4500, but that's not an option in my question....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van
14 REPLIES 14

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
E450 also comes stock with rear sway bar. We added one to our e350.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Very true. I should have clarified that for a smaller "C" (22-25 feet), I wouldn't be surprised to see some built on the Transit chassis because the MPG is better.

Long term, I've read rumors of the T-450 and T-550, Transit chassis models which have the GVWR to completely replace the Econoline series... but as of now, the E series for cutaways isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
If you can wait a year or two, there will be Transit chassis in common availability. The vans have the EB, not sure about the cab chassis rigs, but the diesel is still available. The nice thing about either is no doghouse in the cab area. Sprinter versus Transit is for a different thread, but it might be an option.

Right now, I'd go with the E-450, no questions asked. The V-10 is extremely stable, it is very easy to find service on it, parts are relatively inexpensive, and most RV upfitters use that model.

The E series cab chassis isn't going anywhere soon. Per Ford it will be produced until nearly the end of the decade. The Transit will only be for lighter weight stuff for now. It's gross weight right now is significantly less than the Sprinter.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If you can wait a year or two, there will be Transit chassis in common availability. The vans have the EB, not sure about the cab chassis rigs, but the diesel is still available. The nice thing about either is no doghouse in the cab area. Sprinter versus Transit is for a different thread, but it might be an option.

Right now, I'd go with the E-450, no questions asked. The V-10 is extremely stable, it is very easy to find service on it, parts are relatively inexpensive, and most RV upfitters use that model.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a diesel powered Sprinter. We really like ours. Don't limit your options. Check out floor plans extensively. IMHO nothing is as important as the layout.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
You will miss the Sprinter, but enjoy the space !
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd go for the E-450, but I'd add new wheels and new tires. 26 feet is the ideal size.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Well the responses have solidified my opinion about the 450 over the 350. Heavier duty is better in almost all cases is the way I feel. Didn't realize the 450 had a wider rear axle measurement than the 350.

Just a interesting piece of news here. Most of the EMS, (ambulance), departments around here have gone to the 4500 Chevy. Talking to some of them, seems to be less shop time and they like the drive better overall
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Always get as much truck as you can, I've yet to hear anyone complain of having to much truck. To bad the Chev isn't an option for you, the ergonomics of the Ford can suck, and the Alison transmission is so much nicer than the Ford....the V10 is a fine engine though, it does like its fuel though.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The E450 is also going to have increased transmission cooling (for driving up any grade in any hot temperature with full A/C on and no tranny heating), increased brake size (for more reliable braking anywhere anytime and longer intervals between brake jobs), and a wider rear stance in it's duallies (for improved laterally stability on curves and in high cross-winds).

The Chevy 4500 probably has the same advantages over the Chevy 3500, but it's only offered with a V8 gas engine ... as opposed to Ford's superb V10 gas truck engine and 5-speed (6 speeds internally) fully computer controlled TorqueShift transmission. The E450 chassis under our 24 foot Itasca has easily pulled us at full highway speeds up to and along roads over 9000 feet ...it's overall power and delivered-to-the-ground torque are superb. It idles ultra smooth and vibration free (due to 10 cylinders) and we even idle it sometimes to charge the coach battery bank when drycamping ... we hardly know it's running when it's doing this and any camping neighbors can't hear it idling.

Soon we will be replacing the Ford OEM shocks with this high technology Koni shock to help take the sting out of highway cracks (while still retaining lateral rolling control) in the rear of our over-kill E450 chassis carrying only a 24 foot Class C:

http://www.koni-na.com/uploads/KONI_E350450_Cons_PR.PDF
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
E450 axle is around 4.56 and E350 around 4.10. Some times the tire sizes are different in a bigger truck, but E-Series is the same, so you'll actually get that 10% difference. The 450 also has more steel in the frame, and of course more rear axle capacity. When we went to move up in the Class C world, I specifically wanted the 450. Turned out that in the size we went for it's about mandatory. I'd still do 450 in a smaller coach, the mid-20's sizes.
But gotta say, Bruce's idea of a Chevy 4500 sounds like a good one.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd find something I like on the Chevy chassis!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you were going to be doing a lot of driving you might want to look at the specs on both before deciding.

I think you'll find the F-450 chassis has a lower gear ratio in the rear end.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a relatively light and low profile 24' on E450. I can not think of anything which indicates "too much chassis." I almost immediately installed heavier sway bars front and rear-obviously to control what I considered excessive body roll. I also feel the shock absorber control is on the inadequate side, although I haven't replaced them yet. Shocks I think are common part w/ E350. I understand rear gearing is a little shorter with the E450 and in my case seems perfectly appropriate. Maybe on a narrower and even lower profile C the E350 taller gearing would be more appropriate.

So I guess to sum up, I'd consider the E350 only on something smaller, lighter and less top heavy than my 24 Lazy Daze.