cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-10 Not again

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Well its that time of year. My DW and I are starting our trip east again. We come out to Lancaster CA to manage a pumpkin patch and Christmas Tree lot for Seasonal Adventures. To stay out of the cold snowy weather I-10 is the route we take back to Georgia. I despise the stretch of road across Texas. It seems to go on forever. It takes us almost 2 1/2 days to cross Texas. I might try taking a few good doses of Zquil and let the DW do the driving. :Z
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
47 REPLIES 47

Johnofbham
Explorer
Explorer
Driving across Kanas gets my vote for longest drive.
However, I drive across 40 in Texas lately.

MrWizard
I went thru Texas last yr 2012, and I:10 was in pretty good shape
But I remember my first trip thru Texas in 1978. And I swore they had simply paved over the wagon wheel ruts
But in 2012 it was Arizona I.40 that beat us to pieces
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bycrackey
Explorer
Explorer
the longest trip there is when going west to east is 800 miles and can be done in one day if u drive long day( I do) or 2 days Max if u do short days

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
No one is "whining" Texas... However, the subject here is the perception of not making any headway while driving across Texas...still in the same state, 3 nites, 3 fill-ups even after 3 days....while in other parts of the Country one can drive thru 4 states in 3 days.
A feeling of accomplishment, I guess.....Personally, I've been there/done that and it's all part of the game.

The most BORING/deserted Texas road I ever drove was, if I recall (no maps available right now) is State Road 180...out of Dallas to Carlsbad, NM. Not even tumbleweed lives here....but someone was laying fiber-optic cable to beat the band...couldn't figure out why...so sparse of people and animals (that I could see)no cg, no real "pull-overs", ended up at the Wal-mart lot in Seminole, Texas. Folks we met there were kinda neat and nice.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
Texas roads are generally in very good condition.

Y'all could always go north and bypass our wonderful state. While we welcome you, rest assured you will not be missed if you detour.

Why do you all whine about Texas?

X2
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
In Texas "goin' down the road apiece" equals 100 miles!

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken I20 and I10 through Texas. Much of the scenery along both routes is interesting and the roadways are very good. It just takes sooooooo loooooong to get through! Somehow 800 miles goes by faster if you get through a couple of states while you're doing it. Getting across Texas feels like driving through syrup. It goes on and on and on. :B

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Texas has a lot to offer. We like the state hwys. Speed limit is higher than Interstates in Okla or some anyway. Wide shoulders. It was unusual, at first to see Folks driving the shoulder or parking lane or whatever for long distances, in north Texas. Winds were high and the Semis and other vehicles all went to the shoulder, as did we when we figured it out. Those high winds could push you together. Lots of little towns. Like Fredricksberg, when it is not too crowded, Austin and San Antonio. West Texas around Big Bend is God's Country as the Hill Country, and other places we've been. A lot still left.
Feet Worth, as Rand Mc Nully, says and Dallas well....you need to park 40 miles out and then find a native to take you anywhere.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
More To See wrote:
Tell me how wide Texas is. We leave San Diego and head to Houston quite often. Drive all the way across California, all the way across Arizona, all the way across New Mexico, go through El paso, drive up 10 another hundred miles or so - - and finally we are half-way to Houston.

But you cross the narrowest part of California and only about a third of New Mexico. Go up to I-40 to find out how wide is New Mexico.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lived in Tex for awhile in the late 60s and remember coming from CA home to Garland once and calling the wife from El Paso and telling her I would be home in awhile----2 days later I show up!

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I-10 thru Texas: as I remember, the milmarker on the East side of the state said "mile 864". THAT by it self should give you a clue.

During the winter months, it is the best...as far as RV parks and CG's being open.
Done that East to West and back again....takes 3 days. Stopping at Van Horn for the nite, then Junction for a nite, then Beaumont. It is, in parts, kinda lonely, but so....I agree, that driving I-10, Texas never seems to end.

I-20 thru Ft.Worth Dallas during the winter can be bad. (Check out the weather the past few weeks). I-20 surely is do-able during the warmer months...but strangely enough, there were NO easy-on-easy-off campground on I-20 between Meridian (Toomsuba) Mississippi and almost to I-95 (Florence, SC). Just one. Maybe one hour from I-95.

I-10 thru parts of Texas is a perfect place to use your cruise control. Just don't fall asleep.

dog_house_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
2 1/2 days in TX Mile post 0 never looked so good! Tampa FL to Vancouver WA. I 10 to I 5, three days in CA too. Was originally going to take I 40, but Tornado's in OK made me take I 10.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The distance from the Rio Grande to the Sabine isn't any shorter, nor the western scenery much different, if you cross the middle of the country by going through two or three states further north, instead of one.

You kind of have the same situation if you start at San Diego and drive north, it is a long way to the next state line.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed this summer and then some with a little zig-zagging. No problem though, as we were just lumbering along and living on the road for the summer, anyway. I mean we spent a whole month on the CA coast and a lot longer than we were in Texas.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Texas roads are generally in very good condition.

Y'all could always go north and bypass our wonderful state. While we welcome you, rest assured you will not be missed if you detour.

Why do you all whine about Texas?