cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-95 ga to Maine tollfees and transiting new York first time

Budb66
Explorer
Explorer
Our first long RV trip. What are te challenges of taking I-95 to Maine. Toll costs.
19 REPLIES 19

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Be a great route except 95 does not come close to Hartford,CT and if you go to 684 , you have to do 287 to the "Tap" bridge and the never ending construction there...Chuck

Lobstah wrote:
"As I've said before, I will no longer travel 95 anywhere North of DC in an RV. "

You're in good shape from Ct up through Mass, through NH, and on up into Maine...no reason to avoid that stretch other than normal rush hour problems. Like I said before, I prefer the 684-84-90-495 Rt if your destination is Maine, because it knocks out 95 through Hartford and Providence...but there are some great state parks in RI along the coast that are well worth the trip, especially at $25/night.

Jim
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
"As I've said before, I will no longer travel 95 anywhere North of DC in an RV. "

You're in good shape from Ct up through Mass, through NH, and on up into Maine...no reason to avoid that stretch other than normal rush hour problems. Like I said before, I prefer the 684-84-90-495 Rt if your destination is Maine, because it knocks out 95 through Hartford and Providence...but there are some great state parks in RI along the coast that are well worth the trip, especially at $25/night.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
Why not skip the whole east coast corridor by taking 77 to 81 through the Shenandoah Valley all the way to the Scranton area. Then you can cut over east, go around Boston and shoot on north into Maine. We did it that way last year and were glad.

May have been slightly more miles but you do save those tolls, at least below Maine.

Chuck's route good, too, we came home via Warrenton down to 95.

Agree, find your best way to Charlotte and go to 81 north. Much better than getting on I-95 in my opinion. A couple of nice overnight stops in the Shenandoa area. Very scenic and peaceful trip for an interstate.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
I feel I must vent on the propane exclusion through the 95 tunnels. All propane being transported in an RV is in a DOT certified high pressure container.

If the concern is flammables in the tunnel, then what about the 1000's of gallons of liquid fuel in each vehicle each instant going through the tunnel?

This is the only tunnel that I know of in the USA that has this restriction. Some may not allow placarded loads of bulk Hazardous Materials, but that's rare.

A month or so ago I weighed the options of going around the 695W or the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Rather than trudge the 40 or so miles on 695W we did the Key Bridge. FWIW, don't go this route if you have more than 2 axles. My truck and TT (4 axles TTL) cost $12. What a racket.

As I've said before, I will no longer travel 95 anywhere North of DC in an RV.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing to remember is you CANNOT take I-95 through the tunnels in Baltimore. They are propane restricted. You must take the I-695 West beltway around Baltimore. If you are caught going through the tunnels with propane in a motorhome it is a $500 fine, and the police cut you NO slack!!

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ct1964ups, up to the point of getting on I-66, instead take rt 17 to rt 15 in Va . That will take you up to harrisburg pa, where you get on to I-81 follow to I-78 to rt 33 to I-80 to rt 209 travel up the delaware water gap/ (rt 209) trail go onto I-84 east(1 exit) to Rt 6 in NY follow rt 6 a short distance back to rt 209.(There is a lower under pass in pa on rt 209, if your over 13'6" then you need to go to 1 exit on I-84 into ny and follow rt 6 back to rt 209, otherwise just follow rt 209 from the time you get on it from I-80 at stroudsburg) take rt 209 up to kingston-Rhinebeck bridge cross over the hudson river (less than a $5.00 toll)follow rt 199 (rt 209 turns into rt 199 at bridge) follow rt 199 to rt 9G north to rt 9 to mass pike to I495thru NH into maine. (maines suspends tolls on national holidays)less tolls scenery and if you want to know "I don't stay at Holiday express's" also this route will keep you away from all cities
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
go 81 to scranton area then take 84 beautiful ride and save on tolls, you can continue on 84 to hartford head for 395 to worchester mass then290 to 495 the pick up 95 at NH maine line this keeps you away from boston traffic.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
vjstangelo wrote:
"Why not skip the whole east coast corridor by taking 77 to 81 through the Shenandoah Valley all the way to the Scranton area. Then you can cut over east, go around Boston and shoot on north into Maine. We did it that way last year and

Did you go 84 east from Scranton? I used that route twice in 2011 and found parts to be extremely rough in some places. I wonder if they did some work on it.

Also, we used to take 81 all the way up to Binghamton (NY) they onto 88 east but found 81 north between Scranton and Binghamton to also be bone- jarring in sections.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
"Why not skip the whole east coast corridor by taking 77 to 81 through the Shenandoah Valley all the way to the Scranton area. Then you can cut over east, go around Boston and shoot on north into Maine. We did it that way last year and were glad"

OMG, a BIG 2nd on that one. We just returned from a beautiful trip to Quebec, PQ, headed back home to Central VA. The way out went the "back" way up I-81. On the return I thought we would return I-91 through VT and around I-287. Once again we got caught in a massive traffic jam between NYC and Philadelphia.

Told my wife that barring some unforeseen emergency, we will NEVER drive between DC and NYC anywhere near I-95 in the RV. AMTRAK only.

If you do attempt it, do so at your own peril. and add 6 hours to any time spit out by Google Maps/GPS.

My2 cents.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of quick comments. Some good suggestions above - some not so much.

If you take 84 through CT, take 691 in Meriden to 91 north which will put you back on 84 east of Hartford. No longer and much nicer.

Have driven from NY state to ME more times than I can count, and now live just off route 20 in MA. I would not take Route 20 to go the next town if I could avoid it. Stay on 84, pay the toll in the MA Pike to 495. Other than a short stretch through the Berkshires there is nothing to see on 20 that you can't see from the highway and your fuel savings will pay for the tolls.

Wheel_Estate
Explorer
Explorer
here is how much I HATE NYC !!!

9. Take the ramp onto I-520 W
4.8 mi
10. Take the exit toward I-20 E
0.5 mi
11. Take exit 1 for I-20 toward West Atlanta/East Columbia
0.2 mi
12. Take exit 1B for Interstate 20 E
0.6 mi
13. Merge onto I-20 E
Entering South Carolina
77.2 mi
14. Take exit 73B for S Carolina 277 N toward I-77 N/Charlotte
0.3 mi
15. Merge onto SC-277 N
2.0 mi
16. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Interstate 77 N/Charlotte and merge onto I-77 N
Passing through North Carolina
Entering Virginia
210 mi
17. Take exit 32 to merge onto I-81 N/US-11 N toward Roanoke
Continue to follow I-81 N
Passing through West Virginia, Maryland
Entering Pennsylvania
467 mi
18. Take exit 187 to merge onto I-380 S/I-84 E toward Mt Pocono
4.4 mi
19. Keep left to continue on I-84 E, follow signs for Interstate 84 E/Milford
Partial toll road
Passing through New York, Connecticut
Entering Massachusetts
226 mi
20. Take exit 3A to merge onto US-20 E
Rick & MaryAnn
drive a Phaeton with
SMI brake stopping a Jeep toad

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also recommend ct1964's route. It will be the most hassle free and possibly the shortest in time. It will also minimize tolls. You'll pay a toll on the Tapp going one way, another on the Mass Pike, another on rt95 in NH and another on the Maine Turnpike. I don't know what you are driving so can't tell you how much. Also depends on where in Maine you are going.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I hate I95 through Washington and on north. We go west off 95 at Fredericksburg (Va) and take highway 17 to 66 east then onto 81 north. We then take I78 east to 287 and onto 87 north.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Why not skip the whole east coast corridor by taking 77 to 81 through the Shenandoah Valley all the way to the Scranton area. Then you can cut over east, go around Boston and shoot on north into Maine. We did it that way last year and were glad.

May have been slightly more miles but you do save those tolls, at least below Maine.

Chuck's route good, too, we came home via Warrenton down to 95.