cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Am severely dissapointed.

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
So we just bought a brand new 2021 coachmen leprechaun 300BH two weeks ago. They had us stay in the RV overnight to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it. So the radio know wasn't working and all night I could swear I was hearing large water drops in the wall of the RV as it was raining. But thought maybe I just didn't know what I was hearing because I haven't ever owned an RV before. The next morning my wife saw something on the ceiling on the other side of the RV from where I was hearing the drops and showed the sales rep, I was sure it was water damage. He said no it's not it's just adhesive seepage. So we said ok he knows what he's talking about. Well I had a friend look at it and he confirmed it is water damage. I called the service department and they confirmed it was a leak as well. So here is the issue now they say they can't get me taken care of for up to 6 weeks, now we're selling our house and won't have a place to stay while the RV gets fixed. I'm at a loss Buying a brand new RV should not have felt this shitty.
34 REPLIES 34

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
Reach out to the gentleman in the link ( I hope ) below as Coachman is owned by Forest River, he should be able to get you connected with the right person at the factory to offer you some help. Not sure where you are located but sometimes they might have you go to the factory and if so I would jump at the chance, will probably be fixed better then at the dealer. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://forestriverfrog.com/ContactUs.aspx

awesome thank you!

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Well lots of pointed opinions here, but put it in perspective. It’s a RV leak not cancer so deal with it and don’t let yourself get jerked around by the dealer. Not the end of the world. Not worth losing sleep over, yet anyways. Just get it fixed.

Yeah I have been loosing sleep over it actually lol, the issue is that were selling our house and going to be traveling for at least 2 years in the RV. I am trying to let it go and just get it fixed and move on but its really hard since we only have 3 weeks to get it fixed before we absolutely will be without a house, and their time frame for getting it resolved is longer. Ill know more tomorrow or Wednesday and then i can gauge what I'm really going to do. I think i just needed to vent and talk with someone that knows something about the industry and RV's in general. I appreciate the comment though and If its fixed I am fine but the service so far has felt like I've just been jerked around.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
1) Even if Lemon Laws apply, they always give the seller the option to repair it first...so it won't apply until you've gone back and for a few times (of course, the there is the question of if Lemon Laws even apply to RVs)
2) A lawyer at this point will just muck things up and cost you money. Again, they haven't said they won't honor the warranty. Unless the warranty has a time clause (it doesn't), they are well within meeting the warranty requirements. But if they start getting letters from lawyers, expect the dealer to lawyer up and stick to the letter of the contract and not the slightest bit more. Also expect them to try and turn it around as your fault.

Get an independent repair tech to get up on the roof, check the whole roof out and seal it up. That will at least stop any additional damage. The independent tech won't be covered by the warranty (you can ask but don't expect a yes for the warranty to cover him). This will secure your property and avoid back claims that additional damage was caused by your lack of addressing the issue.

Reality is warranties are not a good reason to buy a new RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Get a lawyer RFN and launch a law-suit. Do NOT wait for them to to get their act together.

Gary Haupt

This is terrible advice. And I am a lawyer. All that will do is cost you lot of money with very little if any benefit. It may cause the repairs to slow down while they make sure "every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed".

Give them time to sort it all out and make the necessary repairs. Probably just a spot that didn't get enough caulk. Perhaps you could even get up on the roof and look around, find the problem, and fix it yourself.

Someone once said, "When owning any RV, you must be real handy at fixing things or real handy writing checks to get things fixed. While under warranty, you must be real handy at waiting months for sub standard repairs".

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
keep after the maker. and don,t let it get wet again ,open the windows and doors put a fan in there.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Cmccain13 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
Get a lawyer RFN and launch a law-suit. Do NOT wait for them to to get their act together.

Gary Haupt

Wouldn't that cost a hell of a lot of money. I can look into it though I guess protecting a 80k purchase.

If you've only owned it for 2 weeks, getting a lawyer couldn't be a worse idea.

The consensus would be that after only 2 weeks, you haven't really given the dealer or manufacturer an adequate chance to make things right.

Also, those who scream 'lawyer' probably aren't familiar with the fact that any dealer or manufacturer that realizes you've retained a lawyer just needs to take a step back and say OK, fine, 'let your lawyer duke it out with our lawyers' .... and time goes on, and on, and on.

Think it our well before making any rash decisions.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Reach out to the gentleman in the link ( I hope ) below as Coachman is owned by Forest River, he should be able to get you connected with the right person at the factory to offer you some help. Not sure where you are located but sometimes they might have you go to the factory and if so I would jump at the chance, will probably be fixed better then at the dealer. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://forestriverfrog.com/ContactUs.aspx
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Cmccain13 wrote:
S I'm at a loss Buying a brand new RV should not have felt this shitty.

You didn't do much research did you?
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
As already stated Lemon Laws do not apply to RV’s in most cases. All an attorney will do is cost you a lot of money. A lawyer is your last resort! You have to first give them a chance to repair it under warranty. Explain your situation to the dealer and see if they can look at it sooner. It may might be something simple.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be up on the roof inspecting for the point of leaking. OK one night of rain is not going to cause any real damage. Get the leak fixed right now and see if any cosmetic damage can be done later after you get your living situation settled.

Yes very disappointing. However try to be glad you were able to observe the issue and get this resolved sooner than later.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never heard of an rv being covered under a lemon law .
If it needs to be repaired for months at a time, what other choice do full time rv people have but to rent an apartment ? Parts will be an issue during covid shutdowns.

Im sorry about your problem but rv’s are not quality items. It doesn't matter how much you spend on one. They ALL have the same problems. Its how the industry works !

These things are not built by skilled craftsmen. They are ‘assembled’ by young underpaid laborers assembling computer generated parts.

It’s economics, when loan rates are low, people borrow money and spend it . The mfg’s push their assemblers to NOT work quickly but work very very quickly to push units off the assembly line . There is a lack of quality control , problems recur and dealers become overloaded doing warranty repairs.

Cmccain13
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Wouldn't that cost a hell of a lot of money. I can look into it though I guess protecting a 80k purchase.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well lots of pointed opinions here, but put it in perspective. It’s a RV leak not cancer so deal with it and don’t let yourself get jerked around by the dealer. Not the end of the world. Not worth losing sleep over, yet anyways. Just get it fixed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In most states, lemon laws do not apply to RVs.

What you've experienced is not fun, but unfortunately is not exactly rare either. RV quality assurance has a long way to go before it reaches economy car consistency.